Monday, May 15, 2023

Whoop there it is


It was just one of those weeks where work took over my life at both jobs and running just didn't have a spot left over.  One day I ended up working 12 hours, working at Coleman Electric, running 3 miles, and then mowing the yard.  I only got 2 runs in this week with both being short.  I know if running was a priority right now, I would find a way to get it done but it just isn't and that is okay.  



First of all let me set the scene of the week by starting off with the bad.   My hubby wasn't feeling well Sunday and as the day went on, he got worse.  He has type 2 diabetes and he doesn't always do the best job managing it but he has learned to live with not feeling great 24/7 so when he tells me he isn't feeling good, it's really not good.  He had woken up with a red angry eye, but again, he was always having either headache or eye problems so we thought nothing of it.  As the day progressed, he became super light sensitive and his eye was throbbing.  We called the eye doctor but he suggested we head to the ER so off we went.  Usually we would go to Manhattan, but a big storm was near and we didn't have time to beat it so we stopped at our local ER where the man I despise works and of course was on duty.  We have a client that is and ER doctor and i was praying for him but nope, we got Sir Grumps a lot, who clearly HATES his job and makes everyone miserable.  Of course he was super salty we were there for an eye issue at 9 pm on a Sunday night and couldn't understand at all why a grown ass man wouldn't take his meds for a disease that could kill him (you and me both doc).  He told Tony he had dry eye (he later was diagnosed with a very bad viral infection in his eye) and then they put him on an insulin drip to try and get his blood sugar down.  I finally left around 1:30 am to go check on Andrew and try and get some sleep and they discharged him at 5:30, at which time his blood sugar went right back up as soon as they unhooked him.  We were very lucky to get into the eye doctor at 10 that morning and get a diagnosis and steriod drops, which helped quickly.  Now as I type, he has the same infection in teh other eye but we have the drops and she told him this would happen so we are prepared.  If anyone has any way to get a grown man to take his meds and talk to his doctor, I am all open for suggestions.  Talks of amputation, permanent ED, blindness, and major disability just don't seem to be doing the trick.  I've said this before and I will say it again, if I had a treatable disease, I would be working with my doctor hand in hand to stay healthy not only for myself but for my family too.  



As the week progressed, my hubby felt better and got back on ALL of his meds, but I still think we have three issues that need to be tackled, his eyes (blurry vision), his blood sugar (adjustment of meds), and his headaches (2 months of headaches???).  Honestly the headaches scare me more than anything because NOTHING touches them.  They gave him hydrocodone in the hospital and that did NOTHING.   He has gotten so use to having them that he just gets up at night, pukes, and then goes about his business.  Sigh.  This is NOT normal.  



Now on to fun things shall we?  We had a rare Saturday race and Mother's day!  Saturday's race was another great one for Andrew.  He drew P1 in the heat race and smoked all of them by just driving away and winning.  Unfortunately when I did the coin flip, he went to the back in P6.  Now that he actually passes, I am okay with that because it gives him tons of time to work his way back to the front.  He ran in P2 for quite a bit adn then wouldn't pass a lap car and his best friend passed him for P2.  They didn't have enough time to hunt down the leader but that is okay, they both got a podium.  I am so freaking proud of this kid right now and his desire to try hard and race hard.  



We celebrated with some beers at Happy Bassett and then went back the next day for some bingo with our adopted track mom and dad for mother's day.  Got to love Sandy and her Sandy snacks!  The fruit punch sour beer was amazing and I can't wait to sip it more this summer post races.  




Have a great week y'all!  I am hoping for better health, a weekend off from racing, and some more time pounding the pavement.  




No comments:

Post a Comment