Saturday, December 29, 2018

Andrew's Second Wrestling Tournament 2018 Rossville

As always two warnings.  This post has nothing to do with running and turn the volume down when you watch the clips.  We weighed 61.8 lbs going into the tournament and I had entered 64 lb, but they luckily put him in the 61-63 weight bracket (thanks flexible tournament directors).  Our first match of the day was a kid we wrestled with and beat at the last tournament.  I tried videoing the periods one at a time so they weren't so huge.  Here they are. 


I think the ref tried to call for locking hands, but the head ref stepped in and told him that he wasn't based on arm positioning, BUT I could be wrong.  Also from my angle it looked like he had pinned the kiddo a few times, BUT it could look totally different from the angle the ref had.  I was super proud of him for working SO hard and for almost pinning the kid a few times!  I think more than anything Andrew needs confidence so I am hoping these wins give him that. 



The second match was not as great, and I will post the video even though most of the video is of me screaming and the camera videoing the mat.  The ref called it a pin, but none of the coaches said it was. I do believe this kid would have eventually pinned him, BUT I wish the ref would not have stopped it so soon.  He was pretty upset coming off of the mat, but I am glad to see emotion because that means he cares.



Of course it wouldn't be fun unless that loose tooth we had been trying to get him to pull for ages didn't come out right? I am just glad it wasn't during a match and that he didn't swallow it.  That is our fifth tooth!

The third match was after a bit of a lay off.  He had a bye in the third round and so we got to have lunch and rest.  This kid we had wrestled before at the last tournament, and he immediately pinned Andrew last time.  I am glad to see that he went at least 30 seconds with him, and was fighting pretty much the whole way. 


The last match was going to be close as I had watched this kid wrestle and he and Andrew were on the same skill level for sure.  This kid barely beat the kid that Andrew beat in the first match, so my nerves were on high!  


I am really, really proud of how he battled this kiddo.  We have a lot to work on but again, lots of good things coming out and proud to see he is listening in practices and learning.  I am so proud that I might burst any minute of how far we have come this year!


Two wins out of 4 matches is good enough for third place!  This is his very first wrestling medal that wasn't for last place :)

This picture cracks me up!  He chose this pose and I had to snap some pictures of it!


We have a week off of practice and then back at it. Our next tournament is January 19th and it is our home tournament.  Hoping we can stay in the 60-64 lb weight class and have some more great matches.  I am loving the try I am seeing and can't wait to see more!




No comments:

Post a Comment