Sunday, December 30, 2018

Into the In between week 2!

Another 3 run week and I kind of feel worse than better.  I am weird, the less I run sometimes the worse I feel.  Both of my feet are bothering me and my hip is not happy.   I am going to stick with the 3 days a week for the next two weeks and see how it goes before launching into the 12 week cycle.  I tried on paper, loading up the 3 days a week to get the full amount of mileage I needed for that week, and honestly it was a little ridiculous.  I am not sure what is better or worse, spreading the miles over 4 days or trying to cram them into 3. Some of my week day runs would be 8 miles, which I could do a double and spread into 4  and 4, BUT that would bump into Cross Fit, which defeats the purpose.

When your BRF gets you
Monday:  Christmas Eve and rest.  We don't really have any traditions in place, sometimes we do our big dinner Christmas Eve and sometimes we keep it for Christmas day.  This year we decided to do movies and board games Christmas Eve and an easy finger food dinner.  That way we could get in bed early and get ready for Santa.  Well, that back fired because neither Andrew nor I could sleep, so we were both up past 11 pm.  I should also mention that Sparky our kitty has been missing for several days and I was pretty upset, which means at night I kind of hang out by the back door hoping he comes home. I  am pretty sure that someone has him in their house because we have seen NO signs of him other than our neighbor seeing him out at 5:30 am one morning.

Meet Boxy!
Tuesday:  Merry Christmas!  Andrew was very excited about what Santa brought (Nintendo switch), but he was the most excited about this little robot named Boxy.  I am glad we went back and got him because at first I thought the switch and maybe a few little things was enough.  He was probably the biggest hit of the day, bigger than the switch.  Go figure.  I love him too though and can't wait for Andrew to be gone so I can play with him :)  We had a big late lunch and then just kind of lazed around all day.  I needed to get 4-5 miles in for the day and shocker, it didn't happen.  We played board games all afternoon and night  with the family,and then headed to bed for an early bed time.

Boom hoarding all of the puppy toys!

Wednesday:  Back up, we had a Christmas Miracle Tuesday night!  Sparky came home, very well fed but jumpy and with a battle scar on his face (he is fixed, shouldn't be fighting, but who knows).  We were all SO happy and he promptly slept in the bed all night with all of us.  He has tried to run out of the door every single time it opens, so whomever he hangs out with instead of us must be pretty cool.

Since I didn't get my run in Christmas day when the weather was perfect and beautiful, I decided to run when it was cold and rainy and horrible of course.  I don't regret waiting, I was really, really out of it yesterday thanks to poor sleep.  Since I am only running 3 days a week, I have some slack in when I get runs in so there is that.  I tried to stick to the roads to avoid all the water because everywhere was flooded, but I think i just got to hit every single giant road puddle instead.  I kind of enjoyed splashing in the water and I think stella and i got a little over 4 miles in.  

hair cut day so we don't get nailed in wrestling!
Thursday:  Cross Fit. I took last week off to see if that was what was kicking my hip's ass.  My hip still hurt, so it had to be the running.  Long story short, I need to go see the chiropractor and I don't want to because he is going to tell me to stop running.  Anyway, since Coach Erin is still out of town, I saw Coach Kate and boy did we do some very simple stuff that whipped my ass.  We worked on Turkish get ups with the 45 lb sand bag and I struggled and struggled.  We ended up (for my confidence) doing them with a dumbbell (15lbs), and I was able to complete those while paying attention to form.  We also worked on dead lifts and heavy kettle bell swings, which I love.  She also had me doing some reverse lunges in place, and she really helped me with every aspect of form.  When I do these right they really work on my hips big time!  Cross fit has helped me SO much with so many aspects of my body and my aches and pains, I just need to trust that I can do the classes and not worry about time or reps, just do what I can do.  


Friday:  Easy run.  I had an option, wait till Tony was around the office to head out and possible go to the river trail again, or run on the mill and just get it done.  I chose to wait and wait I did.  We have a ton of work going on at the office, and Tony needed me most of the day, so didn't get out till past 4:30 pm.  It was a good thing though because the wind had died down, so the temp was cold but manageable.  I tried out my new Craft running jacket again and LOVED it!  I felt perfectly warm and didn't feel sweaty.  I figured it would be perfect for colder weather, and I was right.  I did have some aches and pains, so took it easy and did a walk break every mile.  My back is now tweaking a little bit, but overall I think everything is getting better (being cautiously optimistic here).  


Saturday:  Wrestling tournament #2.  Two wins, two losses, 3rd place out of 5 and first medal.  I am bursting at the seams with pride.  Andrew really has come a LONG way.  If you saw how he wrestled the last two years versus this year, you would be shocked too.  He wasn't born aggressive and athletically gifted like many, so he has worked hard to get to where he is now.  AND we lost our top tooth FINALLY!  I was so worried it would get knocked out and he blew it out making farting noises at his friend, go figure! 


Sunday:  I can't call it long run day, since I am technically not suppose to be doing long runs.  I will call it "longer than the other runs this week run day".  I was trying to decide between 6 or  8 and just figured I would run and see how I felt.  In the end, at mile 6 I was ready to poop and be done:)  I posted this on my FB and it is SO true:


I was also dreaming of coffee and that dream is hard to kill.  Plus, I had had not one but two experiences with loose dogs.  One was a lady walking her toy poodle and small fluffy dog (NO LEASH in sight) and the other was a lady walking two large doodle looking dogs (at least she had the leash in her hands).  These types of people are making me not want to run trails.  I don't get up as early in the winter because I don't have thanks to the temps, but maybe I do to avoid the stupidity.  

Another 3 run week in the books!  Ending the year with 1180 miles, which is less than previous years, but still not too shabby for having PF and hip issues on and off all year.   Happy New Year Y'all!!!!  See you in 2019!

I am linking up with Wendy at Taking the Long Way Home and HoHo runs!


Check out all of the great blogs in the link up!!

4 comments:

  1. What is it with irresponsible dog owners? I encountered some of them on my run today. One dog, who was on a leash, almost took his owner out trying to run with me. I kept going so I don't know what happened.

    Hoping your hip and back calm down. I had a deep tissue massage a few weeks ago and that really seemed to put everything back in place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been going to a local lady who I dearly love but I think i need to go to my master of pain that really really digs and makes me cry but it hurts so good!

      Delete
  2. I could have written your first three sentences! Are you gearing up to train for a specific race? I'm glad Sparky came home for Christmas. Maybe you should attach a little camera and see where he goes ;). One of my dogs recently got away from me (on leash) to attack another dog. I was mortified! I've always been irritated by careless dog owners. And then THAT happens to me. Happy New Year and thanks for linking with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad i am not the only one that has that happen! My coach use to say that happened to here and I kind of didn't believe it,till is started happening to me hard core this time! Can you believe we bought a nice GPS system and collar and he kept getting the collar off. Luckily he has been hanging close to home when we let him briefly out. I don't mind go out and potty and stare at the squirrels but then come right back!

      Delete