Monday, October 14, 2019

Week 20 of 24: Training for Run Amok 50 miler


Oh Kansas.  This is why I love you.  Thunderstorms and severe weather topped off by snow.  Apparently we are yet again skipping fall altogether.

Ebby selfie
Monday:  Girls on the Run day/4 miles.  Now that they are doing so many miles, I am rearranging my schedule.  I had four for Wednesday, but I knew we would be over 3 as awesome as the girls were doing, so I figured I could just use whatever we got and take a rest day Wednesday.  The girls surprised me as always and we pushed and got 3.3 miles and i called it close enough and good.  These girls continue to amaze me.  Last week we were doing about 2.5 miles per run/walk session.  I told them we should set 3 as their goal, run a tiny bit faster, take less breaks, and shorten our walk session to 30 seconds and they did it!  SUPER proud!

Tuesday: 12 miles. Woke up to feels like 48!!!! YES!   I totally over dressed but I am so ready for fall/winter running.  I can usually get 10 in pre-having to get Andrew ready to go for school or I can let tony get him ready and run up, switch dogs (deuce gets to walk Andrew to school now), and walk Andrew up to school.  I chose the latter and while I hate not picking out his clothes (daddy had him in shorts and it was 49 out), it was nice to just get it all done prior to walking to school.  Thankfully I have the flexibility to work from home so got a quick shower, did some book work and answered some phone calls/emails, and then went to the office.  Ah, the joys of having a small business.


Wednesday:  Rest day!  Since I basically did my almost 4 with the girls on Monday, I called it good and slept in.  It was also picture day.  Why does my 7 year old look so grown up!!!!!  He is the same size or bigger than most of the 8 year olds in his class.  At least he doesn't eat like it.....yet.

Yes, i broke out my cold gear from Gypsy Runner already!

Thursday:  6 miles. I decided to get what I could with the girls and then finish up.  My hope  was that we would get close to 4 and I would only have 2 left to get done.  The girls and I got around 3.2 done and after cleaning up and packing up, we headed out to get our 2.8 in the misty cold rain.  I am all for cold and wind chills but heck, going from 73 in the morning to feels like 32 is not cool mother nature. Plus the spitting snow/rain made us all very cold even though we were all dressed ready for the weather.

Friday:  Thank God for crazy runner friends. I decided instead of running a 50K by myself I would try the 4 miles every 4 hours for 48 hours.  I needed 31 miles on Saturday and 5ish miles on Sunday, so I decided to break it down and start on Friday night so I wouldn't be running on Sunday when Andrew was suppose to race. I am doing a separate blog post about our adventure so stay tuned.   We did a run at 5:00 pm, and a run at 9 pm to get 8 in our 8 miles for Friday. 


Saturday:  More 4 x 4s.  We did 24 total miles.  Runs at 1 am, 5 am, 9am, 1pm, 5 pm, and 9 pm.


Sunday:  Finished up with one last 4 miler at 1 am.   Got about 6 hours of sleep and then got up to head to the track.  I had already alerted the tower that i would NOT be super early like normal.  The boys actually beat me to the track.  What a day we had!  Two heat races since it was the last race of the season and he got a 5th and a 4th out of 7 (although myracepass shows him getting a 4th and a 4th) and a hard fought 5th place after a bad wreck.  His car was damaged so the fact that he got back on the track and finished is amazing.  One of the radius rods was bent so badly that I have no clue how he did it.  All of the kiddos involved in the wreck were okay, just a little sore.  Thank GOD they have amazing safety gear and that their cars protect them that much. 


We are SO proud at how far he has come.  He still is kind of cautious, but I kind of like that here lately.  He mostly stays out of wrecks and tends to work his way back up the longer the green flag stays.  We have one more fun race to go and then the season is done.  Since he didn't move up quick enough to be part of the points battle in Jr Honda, he will just have his novice medals and his beautiful plaque to look at till next year.  Heck I think he likes his move up trophy the best anyway LOL!  

Next up, PEAK WEEK!  Say a little prayer that I make it to the other side!  Have a great week!



No comments:

Post a Comment