Monday, October 7, 2019

Week 19 of 24: Training for the Run Amok 50 miler: CUT BACK WEEK

Ah the end of September and the beginning of fall.  Complete with feels like 98 and ending with a wind chill.  Really mother nature????  Don't worry, fall came around, but so did lots of rain.  Can I just have my pumpkin spiced coffee, pumpkin beer, soup, and cold weather minus moisture? Get ready for pictures of my kiddo because dark hangs on longer in the morning, so it's hard to get sunrise photos or any photos for that matter.

60s day at school.  Peace out dude!

Monday:  Rest day.  It was feels like 98, so the girls were running inside the school, which meant I didn't have to run.  I did have to count laps and we figured 10 laps was close to a mile.  They are doing AWESOME and some are already at 3 miles of mostly running.  WOW!  

Boom says let's go mom!
Tuesday:  8 miles.  It was feels like 78 degrees with 86% humidity at 4 am.  Bleh.  I was soaked post my first trip out with Stella, and then headed back out with boom to finish and got even more soaked.  I decided to try Boom off leash and he did WONDERFUL!  I am so excited that he is turning into such a great little running dog.  He would run a bit and then check in, and then take off again.  He probably ran double the mileage I ran.  I am keeping him on leash any time I feel like he might put himself in any danger like around cars or in the neighborhood, but thus far, he is doing great out on the gravel. 

Hawaiian day at school.  Hang ten!

Wednesday:  4 miles.  Woke up to rain.  Changed my alarm and went back to bed.  The smart thing would have been to run on the mill. Apparently, I am not a smart person.  I had a massage scheduled for after work, but Trina called and had a cancellation during the day, so I jumped on it.  My whole body needed work, but mostly my rib cage and hips needed her magic the most.  Lots of cupping, lots of flinching, but lots of releasing and relaxing.  I walked out feeling like a  new woman.  No running happened later that day and that is okay.

Happy boy

Thursday:  8 miles.  5 with Stella and 3 with boom boom.  It was almost cold!  Feels like 49 and I still wore shorts.  The dogs LOVED it and so did I, even if the humidity was still in the high 80s.  I also did 2.5 miles with my GOTR girls later in the day and we all enjoyed the cooler temps.  I surprisingly wasn't too sore from my massage.  We had another great practice and the girls that are doing the walk run method are up to 2.5 miles.  I think we are going to slowly drop off some of the walk breaks because honestly, they are doing SO amazingly well.


Friday:  Rest day. We had family come in so we had a big dinner at Tall Grass Tap house, some yummy dark beers were drank, and we listened to the KSU pep band rock out.  I will admit, it was kind of nice knowing I didn't have to get up to run the next day.


Saturday: Rest day or active rest day.  We raced pretty much all day, so does having an  heart attack most of the day count as active recovery?  We had 11 kiddos in Jr Honda, which is the most we can have in a class before we have to split mains.  We only had one kiddo in Jr novice, so she moved up, and a lot of the kiddos that haven't been there showed up so it was BIG.  We had several rain delays, but we knew once the weather moved through that it would be perfect, so we hung out at the track and the kids played while we waited.


 First heat race: Same story different verse.  Andrew was outside and he just got out of the way and let everyone pass.  Second heat race he was inside pole and he stayed the course and got second!!!!  Feature he was again inside pole and he stayed the course and got 4th out of 11!!!!  He drove, he tried, and he succeeded.  He was pretty excited the whole day.  Afterwards we had a long meeting about the fate of our club. Stay tuned, not sure what will happen but I know what is best will.


Sunday:  Long run day! We had a super long night and didn't get in home and in bed till almost midnight. After the race and a long meeting, we stopped and had burgers with our track family. I knew the weather was going to be cool the whole day, so I slept in and then we did our grocery shopping and tutoring first.  I headed out around 2 to get my 14.  It was cool, cloudy, and windy, all of my favorite things :)  I did 11 with Stella and then 3 with boom and most of my 11 with robin and Ebby.


I will admit it wasn't a great run.  While I love cut back weeks, it seems like those are the weeks when my body reminds me just what I have been doing to it.  Ouch.  I kept telling myself I just did 24 miles and was fine, to just shake it off.  

Back to the grind next week!  I have my 4 x 4 by 48 planned and another weekend of racing.   Fall looks like it's here to stay so let's do this!  Have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment