Friday, April 22, 2022

The Good, The Bad, and the UGLY 0 Mile Flint Hills 50K


Enjoy some amazing Mile 90 photos from the race and my observations moving forward to my next race!




The Good:  NO CHAFFING!  I wore my runderware bra as it lifts and separates the girls and tends to never chafe me at home.  I also took a small stick of deodorant in my pack (no clue what kind, got it in the dollar bin at Target) and re-applied under my bra numerous times.  I had 0 chaffing around the straps either, so even though it was a PAIN IN THE ASS getting that bra from Europe, it may be worth the mental pain to get rid of the physical pain.



The Good:  Boom did so amazing!  The weather helped and he did get hyped randomly through the day but he didn't get frantic like Stella does at the start.  We did have a random lose dog come up to us on the race course and boom did growl, but we got them separated and the dog left.   Boom did a great job listening as we had a ton of runners who were doing a very great job pacing themselves and not going out too fast which meant a little traffic and weaving for us.  It took a while for the mob to thin out, but he listened and when I wanted him to get up and go, he went.  



The Good: Fueling until it wasn't.  Half a Honey Stinger waffle every 30 minutes and supplementing with TailWind and water worked great.  I also did shots of coke, ginger ale, and mountain dew, pretzels, and the nectar of the gods, Nutella on tortillas.  



The Bad: The top of my foot is still hurting.  It's not a deal breaker, but it does throw my entire stride off.  When I took off my shoe, my foot was bright red like something is rubbing?  Going to ask my shoe guru what could be going on since I have been wearing these shoes for a while now and nothing has changed.  I was all prepared to buy another pair but this foot issue has me stumped.  AND it's only on one foot and not both?



The Ugly: My stomach shutting down.   I have gotten to the point where I didn't really want anymore fuel, but I was always able to get something down.  This time it was like my stomach was shut down completely.  I an effort not to puke I quit fueling both my Honey Stinger waffles and my tailwind and just tried to drink lots of water.  I even tried getting a banana down at one of the aid stations and had to bail and give it to boom. I can't figure out if the headache started the whole dizziness and stomach issues or if those were mutually exclusive, but the headache never got worse than a very dull minor roar.  I have always heard that you can puke and rally, but my fear was that if I let go and puked, I would loose what little energy I had and would not be able to finish.  Will have to discuss with my ultra friends for sure!  I also feel like my brain went, oh, well you only have 6 more miles to go so you can power walk and still finish thus letting me be okay with that strategy where if I had say 20 more miles to go, I would have forced myself to rally.

  


I think that is it!  More good than bad and ugly and I will take it! Here are some more amazing shots by Mile 90.  I seriously want to frame them all!



I bet when the leaves come out this trail is heaven with beautiful shade.


This one cracks me up.  Boom is saying big scary man ahead, must alarm bark and miss kitti is saying, what in the heck are you barking at!


Trying to beat the train!


Loved the arch!



Where do we go from here?  Since spring/summer is super busy with baseball and racing and then football, we are planning on an early fall half marathon and a late fall 25K.  I will keep you posted!



No comments:

Post a Comment