Monday, April 4, 2022

Week 10: Training for the 0 Mile Flint Hills 50K

This is so true right now.   I am SO confused Kansas as to what season we might be in.  I guess we will just take it day by day at this point.

 

I swear the week after peak week may have also been just as bad mileage wise based on how it was set up.  Five runs again, stupid Kansas wind and rain, an 83 degree day followed by snow???  WTH Kansas?


We threaded the needle of those two storms luckily


It's tornado time here in Kansas and we had our first bout of severe storms.....right after we finished our run Tuesday.  I am so glad we got home in time because radar indicated that we wouldn't get hit till 8 pm, but those babies fired up around 6:30 pm instead.  We had hail, super gusty wind, rain, and some hellacious lightning.  



Wednesday night we had 45 mph wind gusts and it was super duper cold and after running in 83 degrees the day before, even this team winter girl was like nah.  Don't dangle some shorts and tank weather in my face and then take it away.  Instead we headed to Manhattan to check out Science on Tap at the Manhattan Brewing Company (as seen in Bridgett Everett's new HBO show) and have some tasty beers and some food from our new friends at TheDoughBro. Manhattan Brewing company really is my happy place and I wish I could figure out a way to open a tasting room like MBC in Wamego.  Any home brewers out there want to go in and invest with me in a tasting room????



While it still wasn't as warm, the wind was only 12 mph and the sun was out for our Thursday speed sesh.   Boom has a paw he has been licking and while I can't find anything wrong on the paw, I am worried that the re rocking of our running route is bothering his feet.  We may have to spend some time on road running as this progresses or he may have to take some time off as I want him 100 percent for the race.  I love progress and am glad our tiny town is doing some work on the roads, but they have the main way into our gravel blocked meaning we have to run on a busy highway with tiny shoulders to get to our gravel and now many many cars are using our gravel road which is tearing it up.  The response is to dump more and more gravel down which makes it super hard for us runners to run.  In the grand scheme of life this is no big deal, it's just a tiny annoyance that I hope they get fixed soon.  I am tired of drivers not paying attention to us runners and driving 100 mph on the gravel, and I am tired of the new gravel killing our feet, our dog's feet, and our ankles.  



To avoid rocks we headed out to Tuttle Creek to stay on either soft trail or pavement.  I am not a fan of pavement at all thanks to my newly angry shins, but I need Boom 100%.  We saw eagles and lots of vultures and a huge Boy Scout camping jamboree.  We went on a couple of the short trails and only had to do a little bit of doubling back.  It was the perfect day for a long run and I am just praying this weather holds up for our race and doesn't turn super hot super quick like Kansas likes to do.


The rest of Saturday was spent eating ice cream, hanging out at promenade and seeing Melly's boy walk with his beautiful girlfriend,  and spending time at my version of heaven, Target.  


I love our little town and it's traditions.  In the afternoon of prom they have all the couples going to prom walk across the bridge and take pictures both professionally and their parents.  My prom was such a disaster so I hope and pray in a few years Andrew's prom is amazing!


Sunday was our last run and our last time running 5 days a week.  My body was tired and I was dreading it.  We picked a route with again mostly pavement to try and let boom's foot heal.  We had to do some gravel to get our out and back done but he seemed okay.  


Post running, the hubs started getting the cars ready to go to the track.  Usually by now we have practiced several times but the weather has not been conducive to that.  Cold track equals angry tires and angry tires don't grip meaning lots of spin outs.  My kiddo is still pretty uptight about not having a loose race car so that means no practicing unless the track is plenty warm.


I am not sure what this season will bring.  We are doing track club, baseball, and racing and we would like to focus more on sports this year for him.  We have several families in the same boat as us that may have to miss some races due to spring sports. Plus gas prices will dictate when we can head over because we go over multiple times a week and it's about an hour drive and lots of gas pulling a heavy trailer.  



I just love this picture so much.  These two have been racing together for four years now and I love seeing them grow up together.  Plus, I love how cute they are in their fire suits.  Practice wasn't great but the name of the game was get in the car and make sure it still runs and that was accomplished.  


We ended the weekend winding down at Happy Bassett before heading back to Wamego.  I just love this place and again, if I had the money and the brewer that brewed good beer, would totally open up a tasting room in our little town.
  


And there you have it, week after peak week week LOL!  To me this was worse than peak week.  Glad to be firmly in the taper and on the downside as track club, racing, and baseball all start up in the evenings.  Have a great week y'all!


No comments:

Post a Comment