Monday, April 11, 2022

Week 11: Training for the 0 Mile Flint Hills 50K

 

I never truly understood what wind was till I moved to the prairies of Kansas.  Sustained winds of 25-30 mph daily for most of spring?  Sure why not!  Wind gusts of 50 mph?  Splendid, let's do this!



Show me a picture of how windy it is without telling me how windy it is.  Geez.  Of course our east/west route is no go right now with the huge rocks and boom's foot.  While his foot seems to be good to go, every time I think we over over whatever it is that is going on, he starts licking it again out of the blue.  


We also went to the brewery again on Wednesday night to support our friends at the DoughBro and try some new beers.  This one was a tropical sour and it was SO out of my comfort zone, but SO good! 


Track club was dare I say miserable Thursday night.  We had a mix of snow, ice, rain, and horrible wind. I am so proud of my kids for toughing it out.  I was so frozen post coaching that I put my run off till the next day!!!!


Sometimes lunch runs are what you have to do.  Still windy but at least the sun was out and temps were a little bit warmer.  


We only had a 9 miler on tap for the weekend and we were blessed with less wind and colder temps and some less chunky gravel.  


Post a target trip and some pizza at AJ's in downtown, we spent most of the rest of the day working on our race cars.  We have had 0 time this year to practice or do any work, which meant my poor hubby had a TON to do before race day Sunday.  The wind picked up over the course of the day, but the shop blocked the southern wind, which meant I could listen to the band at the winery down the street (and enjoy the food truck food), play with my dogs, and watch the boys work on cars comfortably.


Race day!!!!   I had 0 expectations of Andrew and while he had moments of brilliance, he was also very rusty and looked very nervous at times.  He was on the pole for Sr Animal and while super duper nervous, he held his own for many laps and didn't just move over and let them have it.  He even had the second fastest time in Sr Honda with his white car.  He was lapped in both races, but we need to get out to the track and practice and I hope this will give him a big boost of confidence that he can do this!


Before I launch into my diatribe, I will say I did not get my fourth run in.  I was suppose to do 4 miles post race and after the day I had, I chose to have a beer, go to my friend's house, and sit down and talk through things versus pounding the pavement.  Here is what I feel in a meme.


I work my ass off as a volunteer for our club, yet all I get is complaints and insinuations that I am somehow cheating for my kid's benefit (my kid, the one who has NEVER won a checkered flag and probably never will).  I am sometimes the first to get to the track and usually the last to leave.  I don't get to see my kid all day as I am working in the tower. I don't get to strap him in, give him hi fives when when does well, or hug him post race.  I am working my butt off for this club to make race day smooth, so I don't have to hear bitching and moaning on that end (the tower somehow always gets the blame).  We have many in our club who don't lift a finger.  Their entire families are there, it's an all day event hanging out, and they relish in it. I get none of that.  Now let me say, I do sound very petty and jealous and it is my choice to volunteer, but I am tired of being the 10 percent that does everything for the 90% who just complain.  It makes me so sad that we are all there for a common goal, to have fun and our kids have fun and a small minority is ruining it for the majority.  There are options, none of which are pleasant or good but I don't think I can take another season of this mentally.  If I have to walk away and leave the club in a bad spot, I may have to chose my sanity over the club and walk away.  

Have a great week y'all!  I am looking forward to 2 runs and RACE DAY!
























No comments:

Post a Comment