Sunday, May 6, 2018

Recovery Week 2

Taking it easy for the next few weeks.  There is no need to rush into any training program at this point while I deal with my ever angry hip and now angry foot. Coach has given me some general guidelines.  NO runs over 5 miles and no long runs this week.  Run 3-4 times this week and have fun recovering.  My mind and body needs this, so I am going to enjoy this week and not worry about the half marathons I am pacing. I know my body can handle those half marathons no matter what training I have coming into them.  My next half is Running with the Cows on May 12th and the Bill Synder on May 19th so I have time.  My mind is already slightly hungering for some long runs so it's working:)

I decided to do my usual Tuesday/Thursday and Saturday/Sunday run schedule with Sunday being optional.  Tuesday I did a 4 mile run and I still felt tired and felt like I am still not 100%, but it was also hot and humid by the time I got out.  We were planning on being out at 5 am, but lightening kept us from that.  I ran post dropping little man off at work.  I also wanted to try out Stella's new harness and be able to take pictures and watch her run.  I was a little unsure that it actual fits her correctly.  I have been working with the company  that I bought it from Howling Dog Alaska to try and make sure it fits. I  am not use to the true running harnesses and how they look on the dogs.  I have been wanting to try one for a while now and was super stoked to find a local KS company making some cool harnesses.


I am going to be honest, I am concerned that maybe this just isn't the right type of harness for Stella.  When she isn't pulling, it puckers on her back.  I am told this is normal, but it bothers her and she shakes her body over and over.  She doesn't wear a collar or have that much material on her back with her other harnesses, so maybe she just needs to get use to it.  When she is in full pull, it lays either correctly on her back or it lays to the side like this.  


What really worried me was that she really wouldn't pull.  A long time ago, we tried another harness and stella just wouldn't run like normal because it didn't fit well, so I am hoping that this isn't the case.  I so want to use a local company for my gear needs.  They are really trying to help me make sure that this harness fits well and I truly appreciate that. We may just make a road trip over to Leavenworth to let them fit it correct in person and also to fit Deuce because he might need a new harness as well since he is built a little different :)


In other news we welcomed a few firsts this week, the first big week of spring storms , our first lost  tooth, as well as had our first kindergarten musical.

He was a mouse from hickory dickory dock.
 I did another 4 on thursday post dropping off my kiddo.  Per usual, this sudden increase in humidity is going to kill me so get ready for the whining.  I am such a cold weather runner!


My foot doesn't hurt when I run (yet) and my hip just feels tight but afterwards?  Yeah.  Both aren't an all the time hurt, but just enough and the right intensities to worry me.  I am doing all the stretches and all the icing and all the rehab exercises that I can do.  I still think a trip back to the bringer of pain AKA Doug and a trip to my chiro is in order.  I am trying to sleep in my night splint, as I do think it helps, but sometimes I wake up so uncomfortable and have to take it off.  I bought the one with the velcro/compression sock/shoe thingy and it tends to ride down in the middle of the night or stay up and make my foot go to sleep.  


Friday was Andrew's first play day at his school. I assumed we were meeting at the park to just play for 2 hours and was wondering how this was going to work.  To my surprise they had stations that the kiddos worked through and they had a TON of fun!  Andrew LOVED water ball dodge ball and the sponge game.  I loved the fact that they got to try lots of different games and were laughing and having so much fun while competing.  

I have also completed two very challenging but fun online Barre classes.  Right now I am doing 20 minute beginner and mixed beginner classes and loving them.  I did a class called seat blaster that worked some sore muscles in my hip and also did an ab work out called the diva work out that was phenomenal.  I hope the variety keeps me engaged because just after 2 sessions, I can tell my hip is so much happier about life in general.  

Another first.  My son ate a pork BBQ sandwich at the memorial!  Proud southern momma here!
I ended the weekend with a memorial service for my boss's hubby and subsequent get together for the family at her house till late and a 4 mile run.  I have been enjoying staying up late, having a few beers, and sleeping in, something that I don't get to do when I am hard core training.  Twice I have stayed up late reading books or watching netflix and it was glorious to know that I didn't have to be up at 4 am to get my miles done. This break is exactly what I needed!!!!!  I will go back to 4 runs a week next week and probably stay at 4 for the next couple as I finish my pacing duties for Smart Pacing out of KC.  Have a great rest of your week and next!  Running with the Cows, I am coming for you!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment