Sunday, July 8, 2018

Week 5-Training for pacing the Hawk 100

Another week leading up to yes another race.  I had signed up for Summer Run Toto Run when Mel decided to do the 20 miler, but another ultra friend talked me into signing up for another trail race, The Snake out at Clinton Lake the weekend before that. I am such a push over :)

Monday-Rest day and boy did I need it! I wasn't horribly sore, but sore enough that i needed to take it easy.  We are back to our normal routine post camp, so let the driving back and forth commence!  I am glad that summer will be slowing down soon, but tutoring may be going to three days a week for a while to make up for the 4 hours he missed last week and the 2 he will miss this week.


Tuesday:  Fun speed work.  I really like how coach is easing me back in slowly with some fun easy speed work.  This one had 1 mile warm up then 30 seconds hard, 90 seconds easy for 10 rounds and then finish to equal 5 miles.  Stella got to go with us, and while it wasn't horrible with the heat and humidity, it wasn't pleasant, but we were able to hit some nice paces for hard.  Coach wanted under 10:30s for hard, so instead of planning anything, I just tried to push and see something other than 10 on my watch.    We also got to run through some irrigation systems that were on and they felt magical.

Wednesday: 4 on the 4th.  We as a group decided to get our run done on the 4th so we could have the 5th off.  All of us like our beer and knew we would be imbibing on the 4th and not feeling like a hot run after that.  While it was hot and humid and we had to take a walk break every mile, we got it done.  I did not take Stella as the dew point was over 70.  After running the marathon cleaning commenced.  We had two families plus our family coming over to celebrate and honestly, I had not had the time to do anything around the house.  While I know they would give us grace as they know we have our own small business, I like for them to actually have places to eat and sit.  Our deck was in horrible shape, as we had just been storing EVERYTHING out there and Tony's mom and pops and cayce came over and just took over while I cleaned the inside.


Usually we come and go and do all the fun stuff our little town does including the carnival, hot wheel races, and car show, but honestly it was so horribly hot that we just hung out at the house and talked, ate, and drank while the kids played their hearts out. 


We did make it to the parade, but barely.  Andrew fell asleep and stayed asleep till about 10 minutes before the parade.  He didn't get to be on the float he was suppose to be on, but he still got to watch and got TONS of candy.  


We had VIP wrist bands this year, so we headed down to the field to watch the show.  I will never be able to watch them from our house again. It was AMAZING!  Tony will be donating next year so we can get VIP tickets of our own.  The show itself is amazing but being there right at the where they shoot them was perfection.


There was a band to listen to till almost time for the fire works and we had free drinks and goodies for the kiddos.  We had plenty of room to spread out and for the kids to play.  




Thursday:  Rest day.  Partial day off from work to recover!  We were up till midnight waiting for the traffic to die down and shooting off fire works.  We were all spent. I spent the morning cleaning up, recuperating, and getting ready to end the week of work that I had missed two days of:)

Friday:  Cross training!  We had gone to bed the night before around 7 and just laid in bed till around 8ish when we passed out so I finally felt sort of caught upon my sleep.  The boys had plans of a movie post work so I headed out on my bike for some cross training time.  Got some podcasts listened to and got some gravel grinding done.  Felt good to ride, even if they had re rocked some of my gravel road slowing me down significantly.  Since I haven't been doing much serious long running, I am way behind on my podcasts, so started catching up on my favorites.


Saturday:  Long run fun!  Since both of my upcoming races are 10 milers, I decided to do an 8 and call it good.  I hemmed and hawed about getting out to Konza to catch some hills, but in the end, decided to stay at home and take stella instead.  She needs to get acclimated so she can do a 10 miler with me next weekend. It was a glorious morning to run.  Not too hot, a little bit of humidity, and clouds.  We got out around 5 am and got done around 7:30 am.  I took it super easy and tried to keep my heart rate under 145.  I am happy to say that 74% of my run was done in zone 3 which is 126-143 bpm!!!!  That was really the first time I tried this an entire long run an even walked if my heart rate got too high.  Lindsey has been talking to me about HR and also training effect and it was fun to try and keep those numbers manageable versus just ignoring them.  It's just interesting to see where an "easy run" I did this week had an average HR of 161 (versus 138  today) and a training effect of 5.0 (versus 3 today).  I know weather also plays into this and today was very nice and manageable versus the day I did the other run when the temp was high and the humidity was almost 100%.


Sunday:  Easy 4.  Coach gave me a chose between cross training or running.  I woke up around 6:30 and the temperature was amazing.  What I didn't look at was the dang humidity.  OUCH.  While it was in the low 60s the humidity was in the high 80s.  I didn't take water or anything but it was still a good run. I kept my heart rate low and my pace super slow and just enjoyed the run.  I don't know if I will be able to do this every run, especially when I run with others, but it's fun to do when I am by myself and can take it super duper slow. 

I ended the week a little sore.  I honestly did not do my PT like I should all week and I feel it for sure.  My hip hurts, my foot hurts, and my other foot hurts from wearing my new oofos flip flop too much.  I need to be diligent and this week proved that to me.  Looking forward to more trail races in the coming two weekends.  It seems lately even technical trails are kinder to my body that they gravel/road and I am ready to get back :)

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment