Monday, July 30, 2018

Week 8: Training to Pace the Hawk 100

As always after a hard trail race, my body is a little sore and tired.  I was interested to see how my body handled not one weekend with technical trails, but two back to back weekends on technical trails.

Monday:  Rest day.   Pretty soon Mondays are going to become crazy busy with school and music lessons, so I am enjoying the peace and quiet while I can.

see that little spray coming out in the distance?  That was my savior on my run!
Tuesday:  Speed work.  Apparently a little tummy bug hit our house and my poor hubby was up all night in the master bath trying to rid his body of all fluids.  Of course I was wide awake, as we are still navigating this new diagnosis of diabetes and I wasn't sure if it was med related or a real tummy bug.  I woke up to go run feeling horrible, exhausted, and a little sick to my stomach as well.   When my BRF texted me that she had had a horrible night, I quickly canceled our run to opt for more sleep.  I knew I had nothing post both of my jobs, so I headed out in feels like 90 with super low humidity.  This run SUCKED and I just tried to gut it out and finish.  I did have to walk some of my "easy" intervals, and I definitely took more walk breaks than normal during my straight mileage.  Coach wanted me to do some intervals at 10K pace and some between 10K and 5K pace, and while I dug deep and tried, they all were about 10K pace.   Oh well, it is what it is and I am moving on and not looking back.
taking care of some friend's chickens for the week
Wednesday:  Rest day. I like to ride my bike for cross training but the pedals hit me right where my PF is the worst.  I have tried biking on my toes more and that sort of works.  My foot was really, really bothering me, so biking just didn't sound like fun and the swimming pool was out because we had storms around us.  I decided not to feel guilty but to just enjoy some family time together and help cook a good meal and enjoy it.

she's always watching.  Even when I am fake sleeping.  
Thursday:  An easy 5 miles.  We decided to not even get up early since they were predicting storms and rain. Of course as soon as we decided that, no storms happened, and in fact, the weather was super nice and cool.  Didn't get to enjoy it of course because it was feels like 90 by the time I headed out.  BLEH.  I am over running in the heat!  I hate it and it hates me, and while I haven't done major mileage this summer, I still hate even doing 6 or so miles in it.  I decided to take Stella with me as the irrigation systems had all been on the other night when I ran, and of course none were on and it was quite hot.  We had one big puddle she could get in, but other than that, I had to stop and give her water a few times and we ran out a mile before we got home. She was fine and I was super ready to call my hubby to come and get her, but she handled it fine and I never saw her too stressed.


Friday:  Rest day.  I did get my PT in, so there is that.  We went into town and watched a movie with Andrew early and followed it with an early dinner, and by the time we got home, cross training just wasn't even a thought.
Andrew's first time at Burbon and Baker.  He LOVED chicken and waffles!
Saturday:  4 mile easy or bike.  My hubby had a crew working all night and most of the day Saturday, so he had to go in  around 4 am and make sure they had everything they needed.  That meant no morning run for me.  Then he had to work the majority of the day and by the time he was off, it was feels like 90 and I had 0 ambition to go run.  See above comments, I am OVER hot weather running.  I got on my bike and did 8 miles, and it took forever just to get that 8 because they had re rocked most of my biking running route and I couldn't go very fast at all.

dude, you look goofy with your hat on backwards!
Sunday:  10 miles.  Hubby had to work again but it was suppose to storm all night and morning, so I wasn't too mad about not getting up early.  Andrew and I slept in and enjoyed our morning.  Hubby was suppose to be home around noon so I started getting ready to run.  I wanted to hit up a trail somewhere nearby as the weather was amazing.  I really wanted to check out the Miller Nature Center that is by the river which is 5 minutes from our house. I had heard it was like 10 acres of goodness and even without a clear mowed path, I figured I could get my 10 in.  NOPE.  Got down there, got all suited up and walked down the trail to the river and BAM, trail ended and there was nothing other than rocks.
I was so excited to see this trail and then it ended at the water.   :(
I disappointingly loaded back up and decided I was heading to Fancy Creek trails, which is about 40 or so minutes from Wamego.  For those who know me, this is very unlike me.  I always have to have a plan with directions and meet up points, and aid stations LOL.  I had done a race years ago out at this place and that was all I had, a faint memory of a race on a rocky trail and the parking lot we parked in.  When I got there, I found a self pay station, paid my fee, and then saw a sign that said trail head.  Hmmmm....not the trail I remember at all but it was a trail.  After driving around for a little bit trying to find the trail and parking lot i remembered, I gave up and headed to the trail head sign.  I found a parking lot back in the trees where I should have parked and several trail heads.  I picked one and off we went.

I took lots of pictures so that if I got lost, maybe Tony could help me find my way back on the computer :)  




I think this trail looped, but I couldn't find confirmation that it did (edit: my running friend Lindsey did confirm it loops).  It was a mix of rocky, rooty, open dirt, and boulders.  I really liked it as it wasn't as hard as Clinton or Wyco, but still fun and challenging.  I had some watch issues, as I started out with my watch on biking and then stopped it and started it again this time on running, and then had to come back early due to low and then no water.  Luckily, we had some bottled water in the car and we headed out to finish after re loading.  I took my time and enjoyed the trail, even when I had a HORRIBLE side stitch that would NOT go away.  I haven't had one of those in a LONG time and I have no clue why I had one today.  I will definitely be back to run again and will try and find some trail maps to figure out if that trail loops and what other trails do out there, as i saw at least three trail heads.   There were times when I felt very over heated and not happy, but then a cool breeze that was almost fall like would stir up and cool me off, and I would think this is the best ever.  I am SO ready for fall!  I also got seed ticks again, but not as many.  This time I had them all over my upper thighs, with none under my compression socks.  I did spray the heck out of my socks and shoes, so maybe I didn't spray my upper thighs as well?  We did stop and sit on a rock briefly, so maybe I just picked them up then.  I used baby wipes to scrap them off before I got in the car, but I will be putting duct tape in my van for tick removal in the future.  

What an up and down week.  One day I feel like my foot is the most hateful and I shouldn't be walking much less running, and then the next it feels completely fine.  Go figure.  I did try running with my gel heel cups in my Hoka's on the trail and that seemed to help.  I also did a few days of aleve twice a day just to knock the inflammation down, and I think that really helped as well.  I am going to keep plugging along as long as I can!  PF be damned!

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment