Sunday, August 5, 2018

Week 9: Training to pace The Hawk 100

Another week with some trails in it!  Let's get to it!!!


Monday:  Rest day again.  Not much longer that this day will be very restful, so taking FULL advantage.  Had a fun day with the kiddo.  This is the main reason why I am loving working for Coleman Electric.  I have so much more flexibility than with science, and it's so nice to take an afternoon to do some thing fun for your kiddo.  While he played, I sat in the cafe area and did work, so he got to burn off some steam in the play structure and I got work done while laughing at his antics.


Tuesday:  6 miles of speed work/6 miles easy.  I changed the schedule at the last minute and here is why.  I couldn't get to sleep to save my life, and then when I finally did, I was woken up around midnight by my tick bites itching like mad.  They had somewhat healed and then when I got my latest round, they swelled back up and started itching again.  I HATE TICKS.  I had to get up and go find some sort of itch cream to try and stop the madness, since I needed to be up in 4 hours to run and couldn't take benedryl at that point.  Then I think I woke up once an hour till my alarm went off.  Bleh.  I woke up exhausted and sore and in no mood for speed.  It was nice and cool out, BUT it was 97% humidity, which always kicks my ass anyway. I took it easy and let the other ladies run ahead of me.  I was quite content going slow and walking when I needed to.


Wednesday: I needed to get some time on my bike, but I had had a crappy day at both jobs and just needed some family time.  Andrew's ipad got busted by the very naughty kitty, so we spent all night outside on the deck talking and playing.  I really enjoyed just hanging out with my family instead of rushing off to get a work out done.


Thursday:  Speed work.  I had to get this done and for once, we had nice temps AND little to no humidity.  Whew!  We easily got our repeats done, and even though we did some walking on our recoveries, we mostly ran and I felt so much stronger.  I had also set up a massage appointment as my hip/lower back has really been flaring up when I run on the road/gravel, and I just can't get to the trail every run and need to get this taken care of anyway.  Boy, was that one of the MOST painful massages I have ever had, but I had instant relief the minute I got off of the table and knock on wood, had a great night's sleep and felt good the day after!

Friday: Rest day.  I worked late and then just wanted to carb load and head to bed, and that is what I did.  I was super sore from my massage and I just didn't feel like doing anything to test out that soreness. 
I am so glad the runner in front of us found this snake first!
Saturday:  13 miles on the trail at Clinton Lake.  I met Lindsey for the Trail Hawks Birthday run.  We wanted to start a little earlier than the group start at 7:00 am, as I had to be back by 11:30 am, so we met at 5:45 am thanks to me forgetting stuff and having to head back to get it at the house.  Each loop was a little over 4 miles and the weather was perfect.  We had a nice breeze and good tree cover to block the sun, and of course an amazing aid station at the trail head (coke and watermelon are my best friends).

I also got my Night Hawk hat I ordered from the race!  Even though I didn't run the true race course, I ran all of about half a mile of it and all in the rain and storms, so I think I earned it.  I couldn't hang around after my loops, had to get in the car and rush back home because Andrew had his first performance with TacoCat, his band.  I was pretty nervous as i wasn't sure how he would do since he does get a little stage fright.  


I am happy to report that he danced, he played, and never batted an eye lash about being in front of people.  Daddy bought him some rock and roll shoes (converse) and he dressed him self and fun was had by all. I hate that it started raining when his performance started because they had a whole back to school festival going on in the parking lot that had to be quickly shut down.

fire pits, smores, filet mignon and some beers = a great night and early bedtime :)

Sunday:  Easy 4.  I meant to get up early and get this run done since it was suppose to be over 100 for the day's high.  I ended up sleeping downstairs on the couch because stella had gotten into several items in the last few days including some twizzlers, some natural peanut butter, a stick of real butter, and some buns.  She was not feeling great, so I wanted to be with her and on the hardwood so accidents were easier to clean up.  We have been managing her diet with bland food and probiotics, but since her tummy still isn't happy, she is still having some mid-night accidents.  Of course she had two at around 5 am, and I thought about just staying up and going for a run, but i laid back down and was out till 7:30.  I am also pet sitting for a few friends, so had to get going on feeding and taking care of dogs/kittens so went ahead and coffee and food pre run.  While it was pretty hot, there was a slight breeze and no humidity, so the run went well.  I tried to keep my heart rate under 145 at least and I was pretty successful according to my Garmin.  My body actually felt pretty good considering i had run for over 3 hours the day before on technical trail.  This is the first week I have been able to get in all 4 runs with minimal pain from my hip/back and foot.  Let's hope this continues because I LOVE it!

What a great week!  A speed work session that left me feeling awesome, a technical trail run with my friend I am pacing while we worked out some details, and a back to back run with minimal pain.  Can I have a repeat of this next week?????  Have a great week y'all!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment