Sunday, August 26, 2018

Week 12 Training to crew the Hawk 100 and run the Flatrock 25K

He sleeps....sometimes
First week of having Boom in the house and trying to train hard!  I had told the ladies I run with that I would not be doing any early morning runs as I attempt to get him on a schedule.  I certainly don't want to be up at 4 am and out the door 30 minutes later and relying on my hubby to get up and deal with a screaming puppy.  While things are getting better (he goes in the crate now with no screaming and goes to sleep almost immediately), we are still battling him sleeping through the night, thus I am only getting between 6 and 7 hours of sleep total a night.  If you know me, you know I don't function well on that kind of sleep.  As I type this, I am fighting going to sleep at my desk.  I am also still battling my PF and my hip/lower back/butt issues.  I am starting to have pain at night and some during my run with my back mainly because I had to cancel my massage appointment to pick up Boom.  The PF is quiet when I am running, which is good, because this week and last week I have been back on gravel and pavement exclusively.

The many faces of Boom
Monday:  Rest day.  Boom did better the night before.  I moved his crate to my side of the bed and raised it even more so he was level with me at night.  Not sure if that did the trick OR he is just getting use the crate, but he went in and promptly went to sleep.  He was up around 3 am, but then back down around 4:30 am till my alarm went off at 6:30.  This is just a phase, and although I am a zombie now, I am seeing improvement.
Heading towards the train
Tuesday:  6 easy.  I took speed work back out, because well, I am exhausted and hard work outs just don't sound like anything I could do.  Boom had me up around 4 am and then he went back down for a little bit, before waking back up around 5:30 am. I  do think he would have slept longer, but the other two aussies have already decided 3 am is the wake up time, even though I make them wait till 6:30 am to be fed.  Sigh.  Dang dogs.  My hip was also really bothering me which woke me up.  We also found fleas on Boom, so off to the vet to get flea and tick meds started. I decided to run post dropping andrew off to enjoy the cooler temps before summer returns.  While it was amazingly cool, the humidity was up around 96%.  BLEH.  Come on Kansas, throw me a bone!


Wednesday:  Cross training/strength/exist.  Boom finally slept till the alarm went off!  Except it was the wrong alarm!  My hubby had an alarm set for 5:30 am, and that woke all of us up.  While I would love to get another hour of sleep, I will take the 8 hours I got!!!!!  Unfortunately, I hit a wall that afternoon and just wanted to crawl in bed.  I have noticed that Boom seems to start crashing around 8 pm, so maybe I am just going to have to go to bed at 8 pm and get up super early.

At soccer practice.  No barking at kiddos and lots of pets!
Thursday:  6 easy miles.  Boom slept till 4:44 am when my hubby's phone made a noise and woke up all of the dogs.  Rather than fight it and try and get Boom back to sleep, I reluctantly got up and got the day started.  We did cuddle at one point and sleep for maybe 30 more minutes, which I think in retrospect just made me more tired.  This meant running at night.  When I am crashing out.  Sigh.  Fun. The temps were much lower and the cool breeze felt great, but the freaking humidity was at 96%!!!!!  I knew as I was huffing and puffing that it must be high and bleh, it was.  Did 6 miles of walk running and called it good.  Anything I can get right now is good in my books.


Friday:  Rest day.  Even though I got much more sleep the night before, thanks to Boom pretty much sleeping till the alarm went off, i just wanted to rest.  I worked both jobs, putting out multiple fires at both, and just was stressed to the max by the time i got off late from my second job.  I sent the boys to town for Retro gaming night and I just relaxed at home with a nice protein bar and some caffeine free diet coke.  I am religiously doing my PT again and I do walk Andrew to school every day, so that has to count for some thing right?


Saturday:  Volunteer/short easy run.  I use to run the Speedy PD 10K, but lately I have been more into volunteering it.  Mainly because I don't like running fast and the course use to be a bugger.  Now it has changed, and while I would like to run it some day again, I just ran it as part of my easy run today.  I did 5 miles of it and really enjoyed it.  By the time I got done volunteering it was feels like 91 out, but most of the course is shaded since it is in a state park and through camp grounds.  I still felt a touch of heat sickness and it sucked.  The rest of the day I kind of felt out of it and I hate this.  I feel like by now I should have acclimated, so why must my body still hate me when it is hot out?  I digress.  We also had our first crew meeting for my friend Lindsey.  We got a lot of loose ends tied up, more questions to get answers for, and a few more things to ponder.  I am getting SUPER excited for her to kick this course in the ASS!

Sunday:  Long run day!  I had thought about heading up to Fancy or over to Clinton but Mel convinced me to go to Konza.  The only problem? When we got up at 5 am to get ready to head out, it was storming.  Back to bed ( I got to sleep in the guest room downstairs and go to bed at 8:30 pm GLORIOUS) for a couple more hours and back up to....rain.  While I don't mind running in the rain, we were getting thunder and lightening as well.
this is from later but you get the picture

Decisions, decisions.  Run in the rain and get it done or wait till the rain cleared and it was super hot and humid.  Neither sounded attractive.   I let the heavy rain subside and then headed out.  The humidity was through the rough and I struggled.  While I had 15 on my plan, I got to 12 and called it quits.  I had a small aspiration that I would go back out and get the remaining 3 but we had a busy day ahead including working at Coleman Electric since I was due at KSU all this week.  I decided 12 was good enough.

I am still having really good days with regards to my body and really bad days.  I really don't know what to do.  I am sure rest and a break would be the most logical but I need the stress relief.  Sigh.  I think the good days I do have make me forget about the bad until I have a bad body day and then reality comes crashing down.

Have a great week!



No comments:

Post a Comment