Monday, June 20, 2022

3 runs is just fine

Another busy week, another heat wave, and more baseball.  At least we only had 2 games this week.  We even had a close game were we were only losing by 2 runs for a while till we had to change pitchers.  I will take improvement, however small any day.  I see growth in EVERY.SINGLE.PLAYER whether their parents see it or not.    Just one more week of regular games and then we start tournament play.  I am sure we will be one and done, but I am super proud of the kids this year!


We started off the week finishing Andrew's birthday celebrations.



We had promised andrew this year that instead of buying him presents, we would give him cash and he could go to the coolest toy store around and pick out whatever he wanted.  We were going to do that Saturday before his party but thanks to the kerfuffle with the bounce house people, we ran out of time.  Instead we took a long lunch and went shopping and then had Red Robin for lunch.  


Andrew is going through a second childhood with Thomas right now so he picked some Thomas wooden stuff and also got a Harry Potter Lionel train with his money.  Yes, yes I am regretting selling all of his Thomas stuff but honestly I never thought he would be back into that.  



Most of the week was spent worrying about my 12 almost 13 year old Deuce.  I had taken him in for what seemed like just a cough the week before and they had put him on a low dose steriod.  As the week went by, he quit walking and eating,  so we took him back and they put him back on the antibiotics he was previously on for his MRSA infection in his ears.  While he perked up a little, he still wasn't mobile, and he developed weird sores on his feet and legs.  He sloughed off a lot of tissues from his pads which probably didn't help with the walking.  After watching him go downhill and just not feeling like this was a good thing, we took him back for yet another consult.  The decision was that the antibiotic he was on was causing all his symptoms and that we needed to get him off of them ASAP.  We changed to a new antibiotic 3 times a day and anti inflammatory steriod dose.  Encephalitis and brain tumor have been taken off of the table but tumors on his spine have not as his nervous system is still depressed.  We have seen a huge improvement in eating and mobility since starting steriods BUT he still isn't mobile on his own.  We go back again on Tuesday for wound care check up and follow up.  



I did get 3 runs in, very short ones thanks to the heat wave and working late every single night we didn't have baseball.  Y'all, I am not kidding when I say if we hired 3 more electricians today we still wouldn't have enough.  I have NEVER seen things like this ever.  We have at least 3 houses ready for us right now that are over 6K square feet.  We still have service calls and I have one electrician that is out with COVID right now to top it off.  Big sigh.  I keep telling myself we can do this, we can get through this. I am also a little disappointed in myself right now, especially since just a few years ago i was training for 50 milers in this heat.   I keep telling myself this is just a season of my life and it too shall pass.    


We ended the week racing.  The ginger racer got a great tune up on his back.  



Okay y'all know me by now and I know that I have to define success a little different for my kid than most other kiddos or even myself.  Success for my kiddo looks more like being brave, making racing moves, trying hard, not giving up, and doing your best even if the "best" is last place.  I will never be happy that he wrecked another kiddo but I will be happy if he was trying and it ended in a wreck (and he is to apologize if it were his fault).  I saw so many instances of bravery. I saw so many tries on passing and 2 successful passes.  I saw him holding his line and not letting someone push him around.  I only saw him use his brakes once.  I saw him stay up on cars even though it looked like they were going to possible wreck each other. I watched him and his best friend battle each other back and forth and him holding on to finish just slightly ahead.  I am super duper proud.  He actually looked like the racer we knew he could be.  Even if the placements weren't great (5/7 in animal and 9/10 in Sr Honda) he tried his hardest with what he had and that is all I ask of him.  Hopefully soon once baseball is done in twoish weeks, we should be back to cars and the track. I hope that we re evaluate baseball next year but I am sure I will be out voted by the hubby on not doing baseball.  I think Andrew does better when he can practice and when we can devote more time to the cars.  



Have a great week y'all!  Andrew has camp, I should be able to get 4 runs in, and we have nothing big this upcoming weekend YIPPEEEE!






No comments:

Post a Comment