Sunday, August 7, 2022

Return of the heat (as sung to the 90s tune Return of the Mack)


I feel like a huge broken record.  More 100 plus days, more humidity, and less desire to gut it out and run.  I did get 2 very short and to the point runs done and 2 nice bike rides including a 20 miler!  


We did have a HUGE vote in Kansas on Tuesday.  Somehow a vote that was major got snuck into a primary vote.  Funny how that happens, put something major on a ballot when most people don't vote so maybe your ideals get passed due to low turn out.  Anyway, for ONCE I am super proud of my state for letting the choice stay with the people not in the hands of a bunch of old white out of touch people.  My body, MY CHOICE!



I'm going to be super honest with you right now because well, that is what I do here.  Andrew is in a weird space right now where he is struggling with friendships.  He has several friends who he loves hanging out with that one on one are great but in the presence of other more cooler kids, Andrew is promptly dropped.  I had hoped with him doing more team sports that this behavior might stop since he is a teammate now and not just a random kid, but that hasn't been the case.  I am staying out of it and letting it settle itself for now, but it breaks my heart to hear my kiddo so sad to be dumped.  I am very thankful that the kid in the above picture is such a great friend to him and I hope their friendship gets stronger.  I am also seeing this behavior a lot at the track and that really breaks my heart as he has had in the past, very strong friendships with kids out there.  We got a hotel room specifically after the night race so we could stay and he could play and all he wanted to do was go back to the hotel post races.  I do think the meds he is taking now for his ADHD are mixing things up in his brain and that he is having bigger emotions right now as his body gets use to this new med, so hoping things clear up and settle down before fall sports and fall racing.


Oh night races. You can be amazing or you can be the worst thing for our club.  Most dirt races are at night, so it's kind of fun to get to race under the lights.  We had a full field and a packed grandstand.  Even with the heat everyone kept their cool and we had little to no issues.  I am SO proud of Andrew and his try this weekend!  He got his first heat race victory, passed some cars, and just showed me time and time again he was brave.  I am so excited about the changes we are seeing in him and want to ride that wave to the end of the season!




Have a great week y'all!  I am looking forward to maybe some lower temps at least for a couple of days, even if it means some rain too.  



No comments:

Post a Comment