Sunday, January 14, 2024

Snomagedon

 



Cue the panic!  If you have read my blogs over the years, you know I am a huge winter weather wuss when it comes to driving.  No amount of practice or time in the seat has changed this.  Over the years I have been super lucky to have super understanding bosses.  Now I live and work 3 minutes apart so BONUS, it's not as big of a deal AND Tony can me to work since we both work in the same town.  



The had some pretty big predictions of snow in our area.  We lucked out and didn't get as much as they thought we would, but what we did get caused major issues.  We had rain first that, you guessed it, turned to ice under snow, which meant  the combo of both is a no go for me.  I had already decided I was probably taking a week off of running anyway because my favorite race of the whole year, the Chili Bowl was on Flo racing every night and every night had some amazing A mains to watch.  Schools canceled for three days and our work out class got canceled on Tuesday.  


It's kind of nice not being the one that isn't commuting.  While others couldn't make it in, we could being local, so we headed in to get work done and make media just in case we were going to be able to do more work the rest of the week.


It was a beautiful snow, but the winds were howling and the ice underneath was scary.  



Since running mostly didn't happen, we were able to go to Bingo one night (and miss one night of racing).  Our local theater downtown does bingo occasionally to raise money for not for profits and we had work out class anyway, so why not go directly from class to bingo???  Spoiler alert: neither of us won and we honestly didn't really know what the heck was going on till a few games in but they had beer and it was fun getting excited about ALMOST winning.  


Saturday started out in the -20s so running outside with the ice and new snow that fell Friday and that morning were just not what I wanted to do.  Call me a wuss, but I am not into falling anytime soon and we had so many slick spots.  I thought about heading to my normal gravel route and just being dropped off there, BUT they had major drifting thanks to the hellacious wind and many of the roads were drifted over.  Again, I could screw my shoes or use my yaktrax, but let's face it, also taking a week off isn't going to completely derail me.  I headed to the gym with rockin robin and attempted to get on a mill and do a short run.  I tried several times to start running, but the large screen and the fact that their mills face huge windows that look onto a highway messed with my balance and made me fell like I was going to fall again.  I went and did some rowing, took a break, and hopped back on and was able to get three with a death grip on the handles of the mill.  


We also went back Sunday for again a super short run.  I tried several times to either look at the TV or out of the windows yet my body just wouldn't allow it and I had to stare at the blank screen with the stats the ENTIRE time.  Loud random pop music on my headphones helped me get through it though with me lip syncing to the songs that played. I am sure if anyway walked in and saw me probably thought I had lost my mind.  



I will end this blog with a blurb about stepping out of my comfort zone and doing something totally new.  The ladies that run the coffee shop have a sister that does esthetician stuff and I had thought about getting a facial but honestly was a)kind of scared as I have sensitive to new things skin and b) also didn't want to really pay that much money for my face.  Our work place has a 400 dollar life style spending account that you can use anything for and many people were using it for things like facials and massages, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it. PLUS, I love supporting local business owners.  While I was a little nervous a few times and didn't like the smell of some the things she was putting on my face, overall it was a very relaxing and fun experience.  She made lots of recommendations of things I could do and said that my skin was actually in every good shape.  I was shocked as many years that I didn't use any moisturizer or sunscreen.  While I still have jowls and I still have lots of wrinkles, as of writing this my face feels 1000 times better.  I would highly recommend if you have extra money or your work does things like this for you, take advantage!

Have a great week y'all!  We are suppose to get more snow and more super cold weather which means I will probably be milling it with super short runs and taking my new classes that I am really enjoying.  Find what brings you joy and DO IT!





  




No comments:

Post a Comment