Sunday, August 4, 2024

All American Clash Race 3 and 4 in Minnesota


This week was kind of a wash for working out. I got one strength and one walking session in and zero running.  Oh well.  It's hot and I had crap to do.  


This week was all about traveling to the All-American Clash.  We went last year and had limited success, but a ton of fun.  We had learned a lot last year and were excited to go back and try some things we learned.  Plus, Andrew is just a different kid this year and much more competitive and the heavy classes are usually a little bit smaller, thus a little more manageable.  



We didn't get as much track family time this year and for that I am sad.  Usually, we all head back to the hotel at night and the kids swim their hearts out while we drink and talk.  We only got that one night and I miss that.  



We did get to the mall of America for a few hours and Andrew found the Lego set he had been wanting.  We got to see a little bit more of the mall this year, but still only probably a tenth of it overall.  You could seriously spend a whole week there and spend a small fortune and still not do everything.  


Practice day was a wash just like last year.  We tried set up after set up on the white car which is heavy Honda (HH) and nothing worked.  We didn't get any power; we couldn't get any more speed no matter what we tried.  We finally honestly gave up.  The Heavy 160 (H160) seemed good to go, so one practice session and done with it.   It's so frustrating to go year after year and just not see any changes or success in the Honda class.  I hear this is a common problem with Hondas and why many families move on to different engines, but it's so dang frustrating for us and for Andrew.  


It also doesn't help when your micron keeps dipping out and you can't get good data.  You can always hand time with a phone, but it can be a little off.  Sure, you notice big changes, but we are dealing with changes in the 0.000 range and that can be I hit the button wrong difference.  Plus, even though this track looks the exact same, they don't run near up to the wall like we do in Topeka for Honda and if you do, you scrub speed where at our track, it helps make your pattern more even and faster.    



Day one was a long one!  We had two heats of heavy Honda since there were 10 cars and Andrew was in the second heat.  Again, we just couldn't find speed.  The feature was much the same, no speed even though he tried.  That is on us and probably the dang engine that has been giving us signs it's ready to be done and needs love.  



Heavy 160 was a little better, however his teammate Noah had engine issues that didn't allow him to finish, so Andrew got a podium.  Not the way we wanted to win at all but what a cool trophy!


I just love this picture because even though our day wasn't the best speed wise, he learned SO much in both classes and had a great day overall.  We ended the day with pizza at the track and cupcakes to celebrate a sibling's birthday.  He really wanted to go swimming that night, but we were all sunburnt and exhausted and opted for a night in the hotel room, Olympics, and bed.  Someone had decided to build his Lego creation he had gotten at Mall of America at 4:30 am that morning and while that someone had slept all day in the trailer, that someone was still super tired.  


Side note, I had hoped I would just get to watch and not have to actually work since it isn't my home track BUT they needed someone to take weights and win photos, so Shanelle and I jumped in and helped both days.  I had learned my lesson last year to keep my face covered (I roasted my forehead last year and then pealed for weeks), but I thought I had enough of a base tan and SPF 30 on just in case (that was reapplied multiple times).  Neither helped and as I type this I am in still in pain.  OUCH.  I think the next track in the series also will need us to help, so I am advocating for a large umbrella if I have to stand all day and watch every single race for win photos.  I am doing everything in my power to keep this from peeling, but I feel like I am losing this battle for sure.  



One last note about day 1.  That night as we were all lying in bed, Andrew quietly asked what he needed to do to win.  He said he was tired of getting last place. I was shocked as he normally doesn't get that upset about losing, especially if it is equipment failure.  His dad and I talked to him about the pattern first off, but also the fact that most if not all of the other kids were older and running either free or on a ratcheting hub.  Dear readers, I can't exactly explain what that means but it's something about the rear tires.  Andrew likes to run locked, so his back end isn't squirrelly and that makes him slower somehow as the tires fight each other.  Tony and Andrew agreed to at least try ratcheting and see what happened.  Previously I will add, when we have tried this, it has really freaked Andrew out.  Again, for him to say he wanted to win is a big step for him.   I think he has gotten a taste this year and he wants it and for that I am so excited!



Day 2 started out again with a last place in the Honda heat race as he figured out the looser car.  He would start dead last in the feature P10.  I watched this kid work his way up to 5th at one point!  I saw passing!  I saw bravery!  I saw him spin out once and then come back and drive like he has never driven before!  He even got a call on him as that he caused a wreck and had to go tail end and worked his way back up to 6th.  He was going to finish 6th and the 2nd place car who had spun out and was at the tail worked his way back up and passed him on the last lap.  I will take it.  He battled the entire class because once again, he did not have the speed he needed and or wanted but still saw much faster times with a looser car.  For him to trust the process, to trust that we said his car would come to him was HUGE!  I am super-duper proud, and I think that confidence he had in that big class passing those older kids and battling is going to pay off big time.  It may not be a podium win but it was a win in my book.  


This also happened!  Noah, Andrew's teammate got 3rd in heavy Honda!  He also had battled his car really all year and finally found the speed and confidence he needed to get in the mix.  


Heavy 160 was a repeat of the day before, however, Andrew found some speed and challenged the 2nd place driver in the heats and stayed right there with 1 and 2.  While we hate that Noah had engine problems again, it was pretty cool to see Andrew get confident and push the car even though the other kids were ratcheting, or free hubs and Andrew was locked.  We again got third due to Noah's engine going away and another podium.



My overall take aways from the weekend:

1. Andrew battled and got delt a bad call but battled back no matter what.  The old Andrew never would have battled in the first place if he thought he didn't have a fast car and especially if he was sent to the back.  Yes, there were some DOT cars that got put behind him that gave him some positions, but he held them off and again the old Andrew would have gladly let faster cars pass to ride in the back if he perceived they were "better".  

2.  Andrew found some confidence in his fastest car (heavy 160) and pushed and could have passed for 2nd place but didn't.  Why is that good you ask?   The 2nd place car was an older kid that while Andrew's car was faster, would have possibly wrecked him to keep 2nd place.  I felt like it was better to let him know he was there and hope for a mistake that true didn't come, but still.   Sometimes parking it in the pits in one piece is the best solution.  

3.  While we battled set up, I never heard him whine or complain.  He just went out each time and pushed the cars as hard as he could to give his dad the most information.  

4.  This is my biggest one.  I saw and heard two things really that I have never heard him say or do.  One, he watched several races to get a feeling for lines.  He really saw this time how you can change your line to prevent passing, but not block, and that every track is different so drive them differently.  He also verbally claimed he wanted to do better and wanted to win and when we told him what he needed to do, he wanted to try it.  He has never been a fan of free or ratcheted hubs and would previously cry.  Is this the turning point for him? I've seriously waited for 6 years for this moment because I knew it was in there.  Let's hope it stays for the rest of the season.



Overall, it was a great trip minus the success on paper I guess you could say.  I know people have a hard time understanding how I can get excited about last place finishes or no podiums, but my kid is different, and I celebrate baby steps, not giant leaps.  We had fun with our friends, got to relax a tiny bit, didn't kill each other on the drive up and back, and saw so much good in all of our racers.  I can't wait to be back at our home track soon and see what this newfound confidence and speed looks like!  I also can't wait to come back again next year and see what all Andrew learned looks like a year later with even more confidence and age.   



Have a great week y'all!














No comments:

Post a Comment