Monday, December 16, 2019

2019 Bling!

This was the year of epic races!  I didn't do as many races as I usually do, but the number of miles I did increased.  After hearing bad news last year that I had a limited time running I decided to make the best of the time I have left and race the bucket list races and distances I have always wanted to do.  If my body gives out in the process, so be it.  


As I have said before, I love unique finisher's awards.  The Rockin K trail marathon was a heavy marathon (28 ish miles) on some beautiful, but brutal trails.  There were ruts, water crossings, sand, exposed prairie, and bluffs.  Stella and I enjoyed it although I got pretty sick afterwards.  The ruts were pretty tough on my body since I run with my feet out and forcing them into an un-natural position for hours caused some issues.  While I say I may be one and done in my race recap, maybe someday I will come back and try again.  You can't beat the beautiful course and the challenge of the plentiful and sometimes deep water crossings.


The second race I ran was for pacing duties for the 2:45 group.  Running with the Cows is one of my most favorite half marathons in Kansas and where my current PR comes from.  I have written previous blogs about it here and here and here.   I love the course and the after party and enjoyed running this race as a pacer again.  Maybe some day I will try it again as a race and try and get that PR down to 2:00????  I love their unique medals as the barn doors open and close on queenie the cow.  


Another one of my most favorite races is the Bill Snyder half marathon in Manhattan and i have previous blogs about running it here and here.  This is the year we finished on the field at the Kansas State University Bill Snyder stadium and I paced the 2:30 pace group.  It was a party even though the humidity was bad.  Another one of those races that i will probably continue to come back to if I can fit it into my schedule.  I love the medals and the finish on the field was extra special.


Next up on the docket was another one of my favorite yearly races,  The Snake 10 miler out at beautiful Clinton Lake.  We had a special division just for canines this year, so we got to start earlier.  We had a blast with the creek crossings and the great volunteers, and as always the photography was AMAZING.  I love races that give something other than medals or t shirts as swag and while this one did have a medal, the beer mug was PERFECT for me!  


The Hawk trail marathon was our last trail marathon leading up to our 50 miler.  These unique hand made finisher's medals were amazing and I will have to get one of the hand made 50 mile mugs some day.  It was hot and the white trail almost killed us (see Ultrarunning magazine for a write up on the Hawk), but we walked away with one of the greatest trail experiences of our life!  The Hawk never disappoints and will always hold a very special spot in my heart!


And last but certainly NOT least, our first 50 miler at Run Amok in Harrison, Tennessee.  No buckles for this one but instead nice wooden plaques on string.  My award got wet so the stamped ink ran a little, but I think it gives it character.  This was a very unique race and I am SO glad I chose it for my first 50 miler.  No time limits or cut offs, bountiful close aid stations, and loops that could drive you crazy but comforted me.  You always remember your first and I will never forget the wonderful time I had there with such great runners and staff.  Lost my first toe nail and Stella and I completed a bucket list distance and I got to spend quality time in the woods with my mom and my cousin.  

There is my Bling of 2019 recap.  Not much to show  and will probably do even less next year as I gear up for another 50 miler and my first 100k, but what's there is unique for sure.  Love all of these great races and I encourage you to check them out yourselves!   

No comments:

Post a Comment