Friday, December 13, 2019

Stella's year in Running 2019

Mom likes it when I recap my year in running.  She thinks I keep it short and sweet and to the point.  Here is a run down of our races together this year!  2019 was EPIC!


We missed our actual first race due to mommy's aunt babs passing away.  Mommy felt it more important to stay with her family than to rush back to Kansas to make it to the race and I agreed.  Our first race ended up being the Rockin K trail marathon.  They told us it was a "heavy marathon" and I had no clue that this meant I had to pull my mommy an extra 2 miles past the marathon distance.  Does that make me an ultra dog already?  I say yes.  Plus, this one had water crossings, tons of them.  I tried to help mom swim on one of them and actually pushed her in to deeper water almost drowning her precious phone.   Then at the big one which was a RIVER, I had to really swim myself and tried to swim on top of mommy instead of just going across.  I wish someone had videoed it because we made quite the comedy routine!  I had lots of icky ticks crawl on me and attach and even though they died when they bit, they itched me like crazy for days and days.  Stupid ticks!!!!  Of course Mile 90 got some amazing shots of us on course, and it was tough to pick just one but there it is!


My second race well, it wasn't a race I ran.  I volunteered at an ultra race called the Flint Hills 50 and trail marathon.  Mom and I did this one last year, and since we did the Rockin K the weekend before, we decided we to just volunteer for this one.  We love the RD Adam and we love giving back to our running community.  We were at mile 20/45 and I was so good with the runners.  Granted they were pretty strung out by our aid station, so we only had at the most two in the aid tent to take care of at a time, but I helped mom fill their water bottles and bladders and fix them goodies.  I got lots of head scritches and "good dogs" and even got some love when they would sit in the chair to rest their legs.


My third race or really my second race running was a race called The Snake 10 miler at good old Clinton Lake.  Mom's good running friend Cindy, who is mom to one of my BDRF Miles asked the RD if we could start an hour earlier than the other racers.  The nice RD Mr. Gary said yes, which meant we had much less heat and direct sun. Plus, this year we had not one but two water crossings!!!!!  I really don't fancy swimming, but if my mommy is on the other side, I guess I have to follow!


I know mommy said only one picture per race, but this race was super fun and Mr. John got lots of great photos of me and mommy.  It was fun and hot, and the aid station workers spoiled me rotten.  Miss Sherrie gave me ice water and also wiped my little face off where I had gotten slobber all over me.  Those Trail Hawks love me and my doggy friends so much and I for one really, really appreciate it!  


Next up for us was The Hawk Marathon again with the Trail Hawks in Lawrence KS.  Mommy crewed for a runner at this race last year (without me, THE NERVE), and told me we were doing this race this year if the weather was decent.  Mom stared at her weather app all week and asked lots of people opinions, and in the end, decided we should try it and see what the heat did.  We had heard from a good source it was suppose to not get as hot as predicted, but they ended up being wrong, whoops.  Mommy made sure I had plenty of fresh cool water whenever I needed it,  and those Trail Hawks had plenty of fresh water for me at every aid station.  I'm so spoiled that i only drank if they held my water bowl, and they got the memo quickly.  We also had several streams of trickling water that were nice, cold, and flowing.  I wouldn't get in the lake because it was making funny noises, but that was okay, I still had plenty of water.  The only time mommy got worried about me was at the end, but I told her with a gentle pull that we were finishing this race no matter what.  I of course was pampered by the RD Sherrie with some cool water sponged on my back, head, and belly post race and many of the runners gave me goodies like sausages and quesadillas.  I am NOT spoiled rotten, NO SIR!  Mommy said we did awesome because we had a great time and conquered a really technical trail.  I got lots of pets, love, and food, so I call it a WIN!  Plus, the water crossing was low enough I didn't have to swim like at The Snake, so BONUS!


Next race up wasn't really a race for me and mommy, but more helping another runner out.  We did what is called "pacing a runner" for her first 100 miler.  Our job was to keep our runner happy, fed, and lucid.  At one point I think staring at my fluffy butt kept her awake and moving.  I did help her eat by stealing some of her bread at an aid station (which made her eat more of something else, see, I know what i am doing), and she ALWAYS gave me what she couldn't finish, which meant i got all sorts of goodies.  In the end, mommy and I did three segments with her, a 10 miler in the daylight, an 8 miler in the dark, and a 6. something miler right before the sun came up.  I got so much runner love that I kind of liked being a pacer instead of a racer for once :)  I am so proud of mommy's friend Jackie for pushing through the pain and the lack of sleep to finish strong!


Our last big goal race of the year was the Run Amok 50 miler.  Mommy had picked it out because we didn't have to rush and hit cut off times, plus it was a looped course meaning we would be near aid almost every hour.  I tried to scare mommy into thinking I might not be able to run by doing some weird things at the trot, but mommy got me x rayed and adjusted, and they found nothing wrong, so now they think I am a head case (which I am not denying it).  Anyway, mom and I headed to TN to see grammy and grandaddy briefly before heading to the Chattanooga area for the race.  Mommy's cousin also met us at the hotel and helped crew mommy and I.  We had perfect weather, i felt great, and I pulled mom for most of the race.  As with all of the other races we had done this year, I got lots of love, food, and pets from runners and other crews.  When mommy was getting pretty down and lonely on her night loops, I kept her company by poking her leg and telling her that we were going to make it.  When mommy's legs stopped working on the ups and downs, I helped steady her and get her through the technical parts.  When I heard those cowbells at the start/finish that last time, I pulled mommy so hard!!!!  Mommy and I trained so well for this race and all of the pieces and parts fell together for the perfect race.  Mommy even signed us up for another 50 miler next year and got me a pizzle stick and a stuffy that I didn't have to share with my brothers!  


I would say Mommy and I did have an EPIC year and I can't wait to see what 2020 holds for us! See ya next year!



No comments:

Post a Comment