Sunday, March 12, 2017

Week 10 Heartland 50 training: Are we there yet?

I always thought the biggest threat to training for a big race in the spring would be snow.  Nope.  It's this DANG Kansas wind!  Help me Dorothy, I am about to blow away!!!!

Monday:  REST DAY.  I needed it after my 18 miler in 30 MPH wind gusts.  Resistance training at it's finest!

We did have some excitement.  We were at the vet's office with stella (update to come) and the tornado sirens started going off.  We headed as quick as we could back home and quickly got into the basement.  We had high winds, some hail and some rain, and got lucky as the tornado formed to the  south and east of us.  The power never went out and little man and the dogs were relatively calm, but it still was kind of tense for a little while.

Image result for memes about doing running intervals

Tuesday:  800 meter repeats x 6 with range of 9-9:30 pace.  Again.  WIND.  South to south west.  9:23, 9:17, 9:23, 9:20, 9:22, and 9:38.  The last interval was dead into the west wind and i just didn't have any gas to give.   I woke up not wanting to do intervals and finished feeling like a million bucks.  Funny how running does that to you.  I promised myself I would wait till mile 1 to make a decision about the work out and I am glad I did.  Pretty cool too to see the sun starting to rise as we were finishing up.  Spring has sprung!!!

Wednesday:  Cross training/strength training.  2 round of the jello inducing work out that Coach Jenny sent.  It was killer!!!!  I still can't do spiderman push ups so I found some modifications that I tried that worked.  I only did 2 rounds but I don't think I am ready for 3 full rounds yet.  My only complaint with this work out was I couldn't keep my lower back out of the leg raises.  Any tips are appreciated.  I think I just won't be able to lower my legs very low but even keeping them higher, I was feeling the exercise in my abs.

Thursday:  7 easy miles with strides thrown in.  We decided since it was going to be such a nice day, to sleep in and run post work.  It cooled down significantly over the day and added in some fun wind, but we didn't mind.  Sometimes it's nice to do a daytime run during the week and see the sun set in stead of rise!

Friday:  Cross train or strength.  Stella recheck day at vet med.  I toyed around with the idea of running my 6 recovery instead of waiting till the nasty weather saturday (pushing my 20 miler till sunday).  Then as I was driving past the oil change place, decided to check and see if the van needed an oil change yet and of course, it had just hit 5 K miles.  What should have taken an hour took over 2, but oh well, it is done for the next 5K miles.  Never got around to doing my work out so I guess un intended rest day.

Saturday:  6 miles or long run of 20.  Sigh.  Was suppose to wake up to snow and mess so decided to do the 6 miler on Saturday and pray Sunday would be slightly better.  Went to bed around 10 and woke up around 8 to.....nothing.  Oh well, got some good sleep that my body probably needed.  Late morning run it is.  Two minutes after I started running, the snow started and it came down the whole time I ran.  I am really glad i had my sunglasses on even though it was not sunny.  Kept the driving, stinging snow out of my eyes.

A little aside here.  I have had the same sunglasses for years, which is a record for me, as I usually loose them before I have had them too long.  I bought them at an expo at my first Rock the Parkway, four years ago.  They have been such good glasses, through thick and thin including my first heartland series, my first marathon, and my first ultra.  I wore them to the coffee shop, put them in my purse, and when I went to get them out of my purse, this is what i found:

My purse seriously was sitting on a chair.  No one moved it or sat on it.  I think they just had hit their ability to handle life and crunched themselves into pieces.   I am trying out some new glasses that were in an article on runner's world for runners with small faces.  They are called T Fosi Wisp T-1900 and they are super cute and super small.  I wore them on my run today and they felt good, so will have a better review of them after my 20 miler sunday.

Sunday:  20 miler.  Daylight savings time.  URGH.  I hate time changes.  Andrew has no concept of them, and it is inevitable that he will stay up late and get up early, both in order to screw us all up as much as possible.  As i predicted, he wouldn't go to sleep saturday night and was up past 11, which is now 12.  Then when I got up at 5:45 to start fueling (which to my body was 4:45), he came down about 15 minutes later.  I am seriously hoping for a nap later.

The one and only pic I got taken.  Did most of my run on this side of town on the gravel.  It was cold but no wind, which I was happy for.   Overall the run went well but it wasn't my best.  I walked every three miles for a tenth and tried to fuel on those walks if they fell close to the hour I usually shoot for.  I got down 4 waffles and almost 17 oz of Nuun water.  I can tell my body is tired and I am really ready for the taper.  My coach had talked to me about doing one more 20 miler but I think we are good.  

39.58 miles for the week and taper time!  Not exactly the peak I have done in the past but this is kind of a weird training cycle with my 50 K being after my road marathon.  Not sure how coach is going to handle ramping back up for the 50 K, but excited to have some taper time before my marathon to get some fresh legs going.

Have a great week!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment