Sunday, July 23, 2017

Week 7 Chicago Marathon Training AKA HEAT WAVE

Another week and another heat wave.  Welcome to me bitching about running in Kansas in the summer.  Yet, I still sign up for fall marathons or ultras every.single.year.  I think it's kind of like child birth, you forgot post doing it.

Monday:  Rest day.  Andrew had an appointment to have these weird bumps looked at by a dermatologist.  He had had the original one for years. but just recently had gotten more, which worried me.  I had done research on what our regular Dr. thought they were and was kind of worried because they could be contagious, although tony and i didn't have any.  Anyway, post a little acid treatment that didn't even hurt at all, we did some work at my work and then headed home for a bath.  The little bumps blistered up like crazy, but still no pain.



Tuesday:  Ladder speed work.  I had every intention of getting up and doing this work out on the mill, as we have extreme heat right now and Mel just had a race so was not up to that kind of speed work or mileage.  My alarm went off, I fed the dogs, and quickly went back to bed.  Sigh.  I was laying there thinking what a mess I was going to have when I had to come home from work and do this work out and still went back to sleep.  I worked all day and got home and jumped on the mill.  While I can't do just flat out mileage for that long, I can for sure do intervals.  Little tiny intervals are fun to do and be done with.  I was suppose to do a ladder of 400 then 800 then 1200 then 1600 and then back down.  I managed to get up to 7 mph during my 1600, and then tried to work up to it on each interval back down the ladder.  In some ways my wish to be done outweighed my fear of going fast :).  I was suppose to do a full mile cool down, but Andrew decided he had had enough of me running on the mill and so had I.

Wednesday:  Cross and Strength.  The thought of getting on my bike post work in feels like 110 just didn't appeal to me.  We ended up eating hot dogs for national hot dog day and watching a movie.  I got my strength and MYRTL done, so I call it a good day.


Thursday:  6 miles easy.  Feels like 84 at 4 am.  Sigh.  At least the humidity was only 74 % and there was a cool breeze blowing.  We still walked almost every mile due to my stomach not being happy (thanks hot dogs).

Friday:  Cross training.  I feel like a broken record, but here lately, getting up at the ass crack of dawn just doesn't sound like fun.  I decided to ride post work, even though it would be in the 100s by then.  As I was getting ready to pack up, I got a text saying a former post doc was in town and wanted to drop by.  We ended up rounding up a bunch of people and having a dinner at a local restaurant, so no bike ride.  I love the pics he got of andrew and my boss:)  She was such a trooper playing all of andrew's apps on his ipad and drawing pictures on scraps of paper with him.  We had some amazing food and some amazing brews.  I had already decided since the heat wave was suppose to break Saturday night, that i would move my long run to Sunday anyway and possibly have to deal with predicted storms versus heat.


Saturday:  Recovery run.  Slept in again and decided to hit the mill later on.  Got my strength training done before we headed out for some fun at Widgets, our local kid's fun place.    That place is the bomb for days when the temperature means we can't do anything else.  



Somehow Daddy's playing of the games got us enough tickets for a plush bomb bird, as well as a new train set.  If you get lucky with the claw game and the tickets, you can hit the jackpot! Post Widgets, I pulled myself onto the treadmill and gutted out 5 miles.  I kid, it wasn't horrible, I got some HBO documentary watching done and for good measure and mental health, I walked every mile for a tenth.  I really really wish I had a screen up higher because looking down at a screen kind of makes me dizzy.


Sunday:  Long run day! I had decided i HAD to get up at 4 am, and I HAD to get out of the door by 5 am if not a little earlier.  Of course I was wide awake till late, but I didn't freak out about it.  Got up and just never let myself sit for long, so by a few minutes before 5, I was dressed, loaded up, and ready to hit the road.  I will have to say this run wasn't the best ever, but it wasn't the worst.  Got to see some lightening in the far off distance, got to see the sun rise, got blessed with some cooler temperatures, and got to get some silent reflection time.  I also battled with my head lamp dying about 5 minutes after I started, my watch deciding it might die at any minute, and the humidity slowing my pace at times 1 to 2 minutes slower than my normal slow easy pace.   All in all, I felt strong and was glad to be done even if my tummy and the humidity totally tried to derail the whole run.  I seriously need to think about re vamping my night before meal and the day off as well as fuel.  Yucky tummy seems to be the new thing and I will never be able to go on group runs ever again if I am constantly getting the runs on the run :)

I made it through yet another week of horrible heat.  While it is affecting my tummy and my pace, I got through it and made it to the other side, plus it made me step outside of my comfort zone and hit the mill for some serious speedwork.  Kudos to all of my friends that finished the 50K this weekend in KC!!!!  You are all rock stars!  I admire each and every one of y'all because there is no way I could have run that race in that heat, even for 10 miles!  Congrats!!!!

Total miles for the week: 34 miles

Have a great week and stay cool!!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment