Monday, September 4, 2017

Runfessions September

I had to laugh, I have so many of these in my draft's box that were started by never finished.  I love getting my thoughts out on the screen, I just hate hitting publish apparently.  Grab a beer, some coffee, or whatever your poison is, and pull up a chair while I spill the beans!


I runfess, while sipping some nice pumpkin beer, that I am really thinking about going to one full or ultra a year.  This year was an experiment to see how it felt to do two marathons and two ultras and I think the results are in.  This training cycle, while injury free (knock on a giant piece of wood), has just been tough for me.  I am not enjoying like I normally do, and have had several longer runs where I honestly just didn't want to do them at all for no reason.  I don't want to loose my joy for running, and I don't want to wear my body out.  I was thinking about doing a spring marathon and or ultra, and then just doing some half marathons next fall.  We shall see, because that basically does not give me the break I think I mentally and physically need, if I do the race I want to do this spring.  I hate going to bed before everyone else and missing out on pretty much everything, because I am either sleeping or running, or exhausted from running.



I also runfess that while I am super enjoying coaching kiddos in soccer, I think we can safely say that Andrew is not a soccer player.  It doesn't break my heart that he doesn't love the sport like i had hoped, but it does break my heart to not see him trying, especially when the WHOLE TEAM is trying but him.  I can't focus on one kid, so I have to just keep going and ignore the crying and theatrics, but it is kind of embarrassing in a way that the coach's kid is sitting on the ground while the rest of the team is playing their heart out.  He was the one that wanted to play this year, so he has to finish out the season no matter what.  It may be a long couple of months for him, but we will make it through (i hope:).  After yesterday's game, we were walking to the park to play a bit.  He looked up at me and said the following:  "Mom, I want to wrestle.  Big boys wrestle.  Big boys don't play soccer. " Sigh.  Yes they do andrew.  I guess we need to go to a professional soccer game to show him that big boys do indeed play soccer.




I also runfess that while school is great at wearing him out, that means he lives in a constant state of tiredness and whiny-ness.  School has helped us get him in bed much, much earlier, but it seems like no matter the time, it still isn't early enough.  Practice is usually after school, and short of giving the child caffeine, i don't know how we are going to make it till his little body adjusts.  I also think that this is creating his issues at school. Yes, it has only been a few weeks, and I already have a parent teacher meeting scheduled.  It's nothing major, more like issues with not respecting personal space, not keeping his hands to himself, and not behaving in the bathroom, but I have no clue how to correct those things at home when he doesn't do them at home.  I have talked to him on several occasions, but I am not sure that our talks are doing anything, since he basically denies any accusations of things that happen at school.  I am super excited that the color chart will be starting next week because at least we have consequences for specific colors already in place thanks to his daycare and their color chart. I know this is another phase and this to shall pass, so let's hope the pumpkin beer stays in stock so I can make it through :)


Okay last runfession.  Sorry, I shouldn't hold these all in :) . This is my last week working full time at KSU.  After this week, I will work part time in my original lab that I have worked in for 13 years and part time for my hubby's business.  Just to remind you, I had been working part time in my normal lab and part time in another professor's lab that works with algae.  I will be working enough at KSU to retain my health benefits and retirement, and I am super scared/excited about the change.  I hate leaving my kiddos in my other lab.  My hubby's business is booming, but there will also be down time,  plus, we haven't had a steady stream of clients in my service center at the lab, so that could dry up at any moment too.  So many variables up in the air, but I am trusting my gut and going with what it is telling me.  At some point, I am hoping to be a full time employee with my hubby's business, as we want this to be a family endeavor.  I am looking forward to having more free time to do some stuff with andrew at school and the school system (like coaching girls on the run and helping with the middle school track meets), since I can do my hubby's work at any time of the day or the weekends.

Whew.  I feel better already!  Here's to a new and exciting month of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment