Sunday, September 10, 2017

Week 14 of Chicago Marathon Training...5 ish weeks till go time!

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!


Monday:  Rest day.  Well, I was feeling froggy and the day was beautiful, so to give myself a break from all the cleaning/reorganizing I was doing, I hit my bike for a bliss free hour of pedaling.  Labor day for the win!

Tuesday:  Speed work.  My body was unfortunately not up for speedwork at all.  Mel had run her long run late monday, so she wasn't feeling it either, so we dropped back to just 8 miles, no speed.  I was shocked that my body felt as good as it did actually.  I had some little niggles under my left calf muscle and my right hip felt a tiny bit tight, but that was it.  We took a couple of walk breaks as needed.

This is most nights.  Out by 5:30 or 6:00 pm.  Gets up around 8:00.  Back out by 9:30!
Wednesday:  Rest day since I rode my bike monday. I should have gotten in a strength training, but I didn't.  Sigh. Someone please grab me and throw me back on the diet/strength training wagon, PLEASE!



Thursday:  6 easy miles.  Well, we went back and forth about doing this run pre work or post work.  We decided to try and get up because the weather is so cold in the morning lately (and I LOVE it).  Well, we both got up and said, nope, under the covers is nice, so we decided to run post work.  Well, that would have been fine except it was 87 degrees at that point.  We took water, took stella and her water bowl, and took walk breaks when needed.


Friday:  Cross and Strength. I found out that KSU had their band Pub Crawl scheduled Friday night, so we headed into town to pub crawl with the band and meet up with Willie.  We had SO much fun!  I so love band and cheering and being a huge band nerd!  Willie even picked andrew up and held him, but I was taking a video so couldn't take pictures! I couldn't get my phone to switch over and had to take a screen shot of the video!


Saturday:  soccer and easy run.  Hubby had to get up and go to work first thing, so no morning run.  No problem, we had stayed out late after the pub crawl and getting up at 4 am didn't sound like a good idea at all.  Hubby ended up getting back in time for me to do a quick 5 before the game.


A little bit about the game.  This was our second game and it went much much better.  We were evenly matched with a team as small and on the same level as we were, which was super nice.  It wasn't a goal fest at all, so we got to really practice skills like ball control and defense.  I think there was a total of 6 goals scored the whole game and four from my team.  While passing really didn't happen at all, there were so many good parts that I had to walk away happy.  Andrew got kicked in the butt with a cleat and cried, got a ball to the face and cried BUT scored a goal and that erased it all. Plus he was tough on defense, actually getting in there and trying to get the ball back or hanging back and intercepting passes.  That is the kiddo I know and for playing hard, we are going to check out lego land on sunday!


Post soccer and resting, we headed out to the Huff and Puff festival in Topeka. While it was too windy for the balloons to fly, they did blow them up and tether them, and we could all see them in their full glory. I highly recommend this festival as it is free parking and lots of amazing food and activities. I don't recommend this festival IF you have no patience for post event traffic.  Geez.  We sat in crawling traffic for over an hour until we got to a main road.

Sunday:  16 miles.  Why does 16 feel like nothing after 20?  We didn't get in from the festival till after 10 and then my brain wouldn't shut off.  I knew 4 am was going to be painful and boy was it.  I was drowning myself in pumpkin coffee.  The run itself, while super slow thanks to 90% humidity, was pretty good. I limited most of the run to walk breaks to fuel only.  I really didn't have to stop and give deuce or stella much water thanks to the lower temps.  Deuce did 15 or so with me and stella did the final 1 ish.  She was NOT happy about getting 1 but I am still trying to be careful with her running mileage totals.  I am still not happy with the easy run numbers I am seeing but I am hoping that the healing my body will do during the taper and the decrease in humidity will help that number change.  It better or I am screwed with my 50 K in 6 hours plan.

This ride went way to high for those little seat belts.  Let's just say I kind of hung on to andrew the whole time!

Post running, we headed to KC to visit Lego Land and Sea Life.  I could write a whole post on this place as we loved it!  I will just leave a few pics here and save words:)

Watching the 4 D movie.  We got wet!

Master builder class

Total mileage for the week:  35

I am getting SO excited for Chicago!  It won't be as fast as I would like for it to be, but I am fine with my PR being my first time I ran Chicago.  I was hoping the fall temps would stay around, but it looks like warmer temps are coming back to stay.  I also am starting to coach Girls on the Run with Rocking Robin this coming week and I can't wait to meet my girls!

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment