Sunday, September 3, 2017

Week 13 of 18 Chicago Marathon training

Come on body, just a few more week!  You've got this!



Monday:  Rest day.

Tuesday:  Speed work 2 mile repeats with 400 meter recovery.  I almost didn't get this one done. Warning:  excuses coming.  I woke up with a pounding sinus headache.  Mel and I had already figured out we couldn't get the full 10 miles done that coach wanted us to do pre work, and I have no week nights free this week to get any runs done post work.  Coach had already said we could shorten our recovery times (she had us at 800 meter recovery), and we could also shorten our cool down mile.  We headed out at 4:15ish and we battled with 100% humidity, cars that wouldn't move over and tried to run us down, skunks, and me trying not to puke thanks to my headache.  I just couldn't get the paces coach wanted, but I am proud that I didn't give up and I gave what I could.


Wednesday:  Cross and strength.  Came home to hubby cooking.  He hasn't cooked in forever, so even though I had plans for working out, I quietly took my plate and had my dinner and enjoyed it!  I rested for a bit and then grabbed my bike, messaged Robin, and headed out for at least an hour of riding.  It's getting so dark so early :(

Thursday:  Speed work (5 minutes at MP and 3 minutes easy x 4 for a total of 8 miles).  Mel and I just weren't feeling this work out.  In fact even though it was so cool outside, yet again the damn humidity was at 96%. I am getting really tired of running with a humidity fog hanging on.  I am ready for a wind chill!!!!

Friday:  Cross and strength.  Rest day happened instead. I did not feel well all day and felt on the verge of coming down with something.  I chose to take it easy and rest instead of working out.

Saturday:   5 miles easy.  Let me tell you about saturday and the marathon day we had.   I got up early and got in an easy 5 with both puppers.


Post running i took a quick shower (which was stupid) and got dressed for coaching soccer.  We had our very first game and the Silver Sharks did very well.  We don't keep score, the other team clearly got more goals than us, but I am love how well my team did with only 2 practices under out belt.   Post the game in which I think I ran 5 more miles, Andrew and I went and rode the train and played on the playground.


After that, we headed to the library to play and get some books.  We managed to also sneak over to the doughnut shop and get some doughnuts.  I wanted to carb up for lunch so we then headed out to manhattan to Old Chicago for some carbs.  While in town, we also hit up yet another playground before heading back to Wamego.  Then I somehow got a third or fourth wind and cleaned the living room and organized all of andrew's train stuff.  Sigh. I am one tired puppy as I type this!  Probably going to regret doing so much the day before my 20 miler!

Sunday:  20 miles.  Somehow I didn't set my alarm for the right time, but my body luckily woke itself up right at 4 am.  My plan was to do two ten mile loops, so each dog got 10 miles in with me. 


 Stella was up first and we just felt good, so we kept going till about mile 15.  I switched out dogs and Deuce and I finished strong.  It was amazingly humid, as it has been all summer, so they cooler temperatures got canceled out thanks to the stupid humidity.  I ran for two hours in his humidity fog that left me with a coating of water droplets on my arms and eye lashes.  I wish I could have gotten it to take in the pictures well because it looked like I had frost on my arm hairs.  

Total mileage for the week:  41 miles give or take a few tenths


I am so ready for the Marathon!  While I know my coach and I know she might throw another 20 miler or even 22 miler in the mix, I have a slight hope that this is my last super long run.  She only gives me a week at a time so we shall see!!!!

Have a great week and enjoy your Labor day!





No comments:

Post a Comment