Sunday, August 27, 2017

Week 12 of 18 Chicago Marathon training

Enjoy a few more pictures from the race.  I keep getting more and more emailed to me and posted on facebook!  Two things I LOVE are pics of me and stella ella and pics of my kiddo!


Monday:  Rest day.  Hip still not very happy about me doing anything with it.  I tried every hip opening stretch i know.  What scares me is that this is totally different than the other hip niggles that I have had.  This is the front of my hip and it feels more like a strain.  I don't like strains.


Tuesday:  Speed work, 1.5 mile repeats.  10 miles total.  ICKY.  I woke up to lingering lightening.   I had already decided this work out was going to have to be an after work kind of work out, due to the number of miles and how slow I am.  I had thought if it wasn't storming that I would run my 6 and then switch this till Thursday.  I ended up having to cancel soccer, so I had a night free, but my hip was like, don't even think about it crazy lady.  I settled for just doing 10 or 9.65, as I passed the house at that time, and the sudden urge to pee hit me so hard that I almost peed in my pants! I had to sprint for the bathroom and barley made it:)


Wednesday:  Cross training.  A nice long bike ride and therapy session with Rocking Robin.

Thursday:  Speed work or an easy 6.  Since I had to bail on my original speed work, my coach had come up with a fun variation on my 6 miler.  One mile warm up and then 2 x 2 mile repeats with a 400 meter recovery, one mile cool down.  I liked it and looked forward to trying again.  My hip felt better, but still not 100%.  I warmed up nicely and then started into my first 2 mile repeat.  I hit the gas and got nothing.  My body didn't respond at all.  I pushed as hard as I could and still nothing.


I got really down.  I haven't had a bad run in a long time.  My body had nothing to give.  I kept trying and nothing.  I went through the whole woe is me, I am so slow, I will never be able to run a 50K in 6 hours, what the hell was I thinking, why do I run, this sucks thought train.  I even tried some walking and nothing.  I may be smiling in the pic, but I was pissed as hell on the inside.  I keep seeing slower and slower paces, and it is starting to really wear on me.  Not from a PR standpoint, because I know those days have passed, but more from a I have to run really, really far and I would like for this to not be an all day adventure.  I know I am so close to the peak of my training and am more than half way in this training cycle, so dealing with some fatigue, but damn body, come on.  Okay rant over :)

Friday:  Cross training and strength.  Well, I ended up volunteering for packet pick up and race registration for one of my favorite local races, the speedy PD.  The money raised goes back to our community to increase programs for people with Parkinson's disease.  I either run this race or help, and I am so glad I did.  Anyway, I ended up staying till after 7 pm helping, and by the time I got home, I had dinner and went to bed.  Little man had already crashed, so I used that opportunity to crash early as well.  In my defense, I did do about a million squats helping put all the papers together for the packets for people who registered that day.

I am going to have to run this 10 K next year!  Flat and fast and stella can run with me!
Saturday:  Race day volunteering and an easy five.  I woke up around 4:20 to get my run done pre race. I got to see Lindsey from livinglovingrunner, and we got to direct traffic at a crucial part of the course.  We had so much fun and I got some loving time on her cute little boy!  He reminds me so much of andrew at that age.  Post race, we headed back to town to restock my fuel and to get another head lamp.  Dang headlamp was dead AGAIN this morning, and I had to run with my phone light.  I can't do that on a long run and expect my phone to not die, so I bought a battery powered head lamp to have in reserve just in case.  

I love this pic of stella even if it is blurry!

Sunday:  Long run.  Okay so confession.  Stayed out late to hear some local bands play at the Columbian, our local theater.  #Sorrynotsorry.  I had one little tiny beer and tons of water.  When I woke up at 4 am, I had my coffee and fuel, and then went back to bed.  Had intended on sleeping till closer till 6, but my hubby's phone went off at 5:30 am, and would not stop and I couldn't find it.  Okay fine, got up and got ready to head out.  Had a close encounter with a skunk (thank god for good recalls on my Western Hill's dogs), had to make 3!!!! pit stops due to my tummy hating on me, and had to head home around 10 miles in due to lightening.  Waited and waited on the storms to pass by.  


Finally took a shower and ate something while waiting.  I figured that would make the storms leave and it did somewhat.


Deuce and I headed out for the final 8 miles.  It was a bit humid and as the clouds parted, it got a little hot, but I had plenty of water for Deuce, and there were some small puddles for him to cool off in.  


It was an odd day and an odd way to do a long run, but we got the miles done.  As I type this now, I am fighting sleep and trying to stay awake to watch the mid season finale of GOT.

Total Miles for the week:  38.89

Okay, peak week can't come quick enough.  While my hip feels much better, other normal things are bothering me, so I am rolling, drinking tart cherry juice and doing my MYRTL like crazy!!!  Have a great week!  I will be attending my first parent's night at Andrew's school, and I can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment