Monday, August 21, 2017

Week 11 Chicago Marathon Training

A sort of cut back week!  YIPEEEE!  Shorter long runs this weekend, but longer runs during the week.  Two days of speed work this week, but manageable paces.   Also, soccer starts and so does school.  I may be a crying mess ALL week!!!!


Monday:  Rest day.  Dentist appointment day.  Back to school day.  I found out today that my sweet baby angel has FOUR cavities!!!!  What the what????  His back teeth are super tight and so post x rays, we discovered two on each of his back teeth where they have been sitting together tightly incubating fun stuff.  My dentist said he could knock them out fairly quickly, but he would have to use the shot to numb him, and with my newly minted needle phobic kiddo, I said no thanks.  We got a referral to a pediatric dentist that uses gas.  I may need it just as badly as he does :)

Okay bear with me a moment as I do a major photo dump of my kiddo.
With one of his dear LLB friends Bridgette

His class room looks out at the playground and this is the view from his desk. Heaven help his teacher!

Chilling in the reading area

#centralsuperraider

She had him at super minion
All in all I think the night went well.  Andrew doesn't know anyone in his class, but very quickly he was down in the lego area playing with several of the boys.  Two of his little love bug classmates were in the classroom next to his, so hopefully he will get to see them at recess or lunch or something.  His school is so cute and small that I have faith he will be fine. I am the one that will be a mess!!!!!

Tuesday:  Mile repeats 10-10:15 pace x 5 (8 total miles).   I wasn't looking forward to the repeats but the pace was much nicer than the previous paces.  While the 96% humidity at 4 am made it a little tough, we managed with the help of some 90s hits.  Always looking for the next earworm for our next tough ultra.  Baby got Back anyone?

Wednesday:  Strength and cross.  Got the strength, but not the cross.  First day of school.  I was an emotional mess all day but I never fully cried.  I wrote a separate post about his first day and how it didn't end well.  I am hoping Thursday will be better.  I think the school part was fine but the after school was not. I am willing to give it a week but  am exploring other options just in case.

Thursday:  7 miles with sets of 5 min hard 3 minute easy in the middle.  Sort of speed work sort of not. Got out the door a little later due to Melly being on vacation.  While I thought I would have plenty of time, I did not and had to cut my suppose to be 7 mile run short at 6.5 something.  I can add half a mile to some other run later this weekend.  Got to see one of the foxes and had a bat swoop right in front of my head lamp and almost scare the crap out of me.  I don't know why I encounter so much wild life when Melly is gone.  Andrew and I headed out to walk to school post run.  We had so much fun walking, and I hope it stays that way.


Friday:  Cross. An hour on my bike.  I needed it.  Andrew has been coming home super tired, which equals super crabby and whiny.  Even though we celebrated the first week with mini milk shakes from Sonic, he was still tired and on edge.  We have been struggling to keep him awake till bed time, which is a very good problem to have.  Anyway, the hour on my bike was what I needed to reset my brain.  

Saturday:  Race day + 3.  I needed to get an extra 3 in, so I woke up extra early to fuel and coffee and eliminate, since I was also working the race.  3 miles in the dark with the kiddos pre race.  It's always odd just doing 3 miles, as 3 mile is kind of when my body wakes up and accepts what we are doing lol!  After heading home and sitting for a few minutes, I had decided to head back up to the school and be early, in hopes that I could help people get ready.  When I got there, it was just me and the bouncy house guy.  Slowly, others arrived an we started set up.  I was suppose to help at the registration /t shirt/packet pick up.  Most people had picked their stuff up the day before, but many wanted to do day of registration, mainly for the kid's 1 miler or the the fun run, so we had periods of pure chaos.  I will write a separate blog post about the race but here is two of my favorite pictures:



Sunday:  Long run.  Coach gave me a shorter long run this week and I was glad.  I woke up super sore and not sure why (probably racing on concrete for three miles).  I also woke up to lightning and storms all around.  This was one day that I HAD to start on time and had to get finished as quick as I could, because the day was jam packed.  I had to get to the grocery store and I had to get to Girls on the Run training (5 hours, gasp).  When I woke up, it was feels like 86 outside.  YIKES!  I was hoping the storms would cool down the temps and take the humidity under control.  It did slightly, but when the sun got around the clouds, it was back to being horrible out.  I finally got started around 6:30, which was an hour and a half after I had planned on getting started.  I decided to take Deuce and let Stella rest, and then if he was too hot, I would loop by the house.  I took one large bottle of water for him, and one of my bottles for me.  He was doing so well despite the heat, that I decided to just finish the entire mileage and keep him with me.  

New moo moos in the feedlot!


This picture is funny and has a story.  The irrigation system was on, and the end spout was spraying on the tarmac of the airport and making lots of noise.  Deuce was fascinated by it, so I sent him out to check it out.  Deuce is my shadow dog, so the fact that he went that far away from me is very crazy.  He did always have a great out in agility LOL!  He didn't really play in it, he just kind of watched it and followed it and then returned back to me.  We did do lots of walk breaks during this run and it is what it is.  I am not going to get down that I was sore and tired and needed walk breaks anymore.

Total mileage for the week: 34.75 miles

SO close to taper time!  I am ready!  Hoping for a couple more weeks of hard and then some nice easy before Chicago.   Come on body, hold it together for just a little longer!

Have a great week!






1 comment:

  1. When my boys both went to first grade (full day after all those half days) both of them had adjustment periods when they were super crabby. It got better. I don't think sending them back to school ever got easier for me, though!

    ReplyDelete