Sunday, December 17, 2017

Recovery Week 5


Why wear one of the items when you can wear three of the items for the week of festivity?  

Monday:  Rest day and wrestling.  We still aren't on our normal Tuesday/Thursday schedule with wrestling.  Lots going on at the high school where we practice.  Makes me SO happy that Andrew is so excited every night it is wrestling night and cries when it gets canceled.  So many of his friends are wrestling this year and I think they are all having a ball with it!  While I don't regret him starting last year, I would recommend to all, let them start when they are in kindergarten and have lots of other friends also wrestling.

You know I am going to bite you for this right?

Tuesday:  We did a switcheroo on the schedule this weekend.  Mel had the day off and didn't want to get up at 4 am, although she still had to get up at 4:30 to meet us all at 5 :) . We did an easy 4 to ease into the week.  The dogs were kind of being butt heads.  They kept running in front of us and then stopping, something they very rarely do to Mel and I.  I am not sure why they are doing this and I wish they would stop.  I don't want to loose our fun new running partner.  I guess we may have to keep them on leash for a while if they can't stop stopping.

Holiday sock day.  When did my kiddo get SO tall???

Wednesday: Strength.  YES!  Finally.  After having yet another day of doing a tiny bit for KSU and a tiny bit for Coleman Electric, and still having most of the day to fill, I told myself NO MORE EXCUSES!  The routine my coach had me do only took me 30 minutes to do and I felt so good after wards.  Now help keep me accountable!  I had thought about cross training by biking as well but the 20 mph wind kind of quashed that thought. Instead my undergrad, who is graduating today after being my lab mate for 5 years, and I walked to down town and got lunch and then walked back and I walked to pick up Andrew from school and walked back.  I also later on took another freezer meal class.  We had not only finished our last class but had recreated a few of our favorite meals, so we were ready for a new round of meals.  These meals have really, really gotten us back into cooking regularly and I have even started doing some cooking!  Who am I?????  I was brave and took on a recipe that was a little more challenging this time but had a partner so kind of cheated.  Even helped with another recipe that was super hard and didn't screw it up :)

I made Chicken Cacitore in my class and I can't wait to try it!

Thursday:  Speedwork.  Same as last week, 2 minutes hard, 2 minutes easy x 8 for a total of 6 miles.  None of us were feeling this run.  Amber had a sick kiddo all night so she got some extra zzzzzs and skipped, Mel woke up late and had to rush, and I just felt like crap the whole run.  I had no gas in the tank, my left hip of all things hurt (WHY?), and my tummy was not a happy camper in  that it felt super unsettled like it was hungry the whole run.  I could barely walk up the steps when I got home, and I am hoping it is just a ton of soreness from my work out yesterday. 

Friday:  Rest day.  My hip is not happy again, but I probably should say now that I don't think the pain is from my hip per se but the glute area.  I think the top of my hamstring is not happy because when I do my running man stationary exercise, that area gets happy.  My hip still gets tight and the trigger points can get a little angry, but as long as I do my exercises and use my roller, I am good to go.  Must do more rehab/prehab exercises for sure. 

Also, still trying to figure out what to make of Andrew's latest parent teacher conference.  I had yet another one Thursday afternoon and I am just not sure where to go with the latest round of information.  We are still sort of battling his weird tummy issues, but now also battling him just not wanting to participate in reading group and also in carpet time.  It's so weird because he can be such an out going kid, so him not wanting to participate and talk and sing is just off to me.  The teacher is now worried he isn't progressing like he should be, so they are going to break his day down into smaller more manageable goals that earn him special play time.  I hope this works, finger's crossed.  I swear, raising kids is so much like dog training that it is scary.  We are splitting instead of lumping :)

Saturday:  Long run.  I honestly hemmed and hawed about doing a long run or just getting my shorter recovery run done.  I tried to sleep in, but little man had other ideas and was up and talking at 6 am.  Got him to sort of sleep for 30 more minutes before we officially got up.  Then just took my time eating and getting ready.  My run wasn't bad, just enjoyed my podcast and the snow geese flying over.  Post run, we headed to Manhattan to see Santa at Hyvee.  We saw him last year and he was SO good with Andrew, so we were hoping it was the same guy again and it WAS!  Andrew was still a little shy, but he did talk with Santa about his tree and his Thomas super station that he so wants.




Between the Santa at the Hyvee and the Santa at the Union Hall, we are very lucky to have such patient, wonderful men playing Santa.  We also checked out a new to us comic book/collectible/coffee shop/game store.  I hope andrew and I can come back and learn how to play pokemon some time.

Sunday:  Recovery run 4 miles. I honestly haven't had a day in a long long time where I woke up and had 0 desire to run, but this was the day.  I ran a low grade fever all day and just felt overall run down.  Even though I had a great night's sleep,  I wanted to sleep all day and after grocery shopping, I went right back to sleep for a few hours, but still didn't feel better. 

Have a great week!  I am downing Zicam and praying that I am not coming down with some stupid virus.  Two more school days and little man will be on Christmas break!

No comments:

Post a Comment