Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Year in Running 2017


It always is super fun to look back at my year in racing and pick out my favorite races, experiences, and runs!  I am planning a year in racing in pictures blog post because I did that last year and had so much fun looking back.  In 2017, I cut back on the number of races I participated in as I increased my distance.  I tried a spring and fall marathon for the first time, as well as a spring and fall 50K, and did my first "timed" race in which I ran for 6 hours trying to chase that 50K belt buckle.   I also jumped into the world of pacing and really, really enjoyed it!  I can't wait till 2018 to try some more pacing and some new to me races!


Best Race Experience:  This is pretty easy as it is ALL about Chicago!!!!!  The Chicago marathon is not just about the race, but also for my hubby and I to get a little mini vacation for just the two of us, since little man stays with Grammy.  We love the city of Chicago and can't wait to go back and visit more of it each time we go back.  We always try and see different sights when we go and this year we did the City Bus tour and we got to see more of the entire city, not just what you can see from the river tour and the area surrounding our hotel.  We also stayed the night post the race instead of flying back that night, and had fun just laying around in the hotel room watching tv and resting.  The race itself, while tough due to weather conditions, was fun as always, and if my hip had not checked out, I think i could have had an even better race time.  Thanks for letting me celebrate my 40th year with you celebrating your 40th year Chicago!  See you in 10 years for our 50th????


Best Run:  I know this is going to be weird to say, but my best run was running for almost 7 hours in the rain, hail, wind gusts, and cold that we experienced at the Heartland 50.  Conquering those conditions was an amazing feeling, one I will never ever forget.  Even better, I got to do this race with my running partner Mel.  While we didn't run the first half together, we hooked up at the half way point and stayed together till the end.  We sang silly songs, crossed some pretty scary water crossings, and she pulled my butt over some super slick cattle guards.  I am for sure going to have to revisit this race some day but hopefully with better weather conditions!


Best New Piece of Running Gear:  I pretty much stick to what I know works and don't really add too much new stuff BUT for this year for my 40th birthday, my hubby splurged and got me a new Garmin 235 and it is the bomb dot com.  I have had the 230 for years but didn't have heart rate capability or all the other fun additions that the 235 has in store.  I am still getting use to all of the data it throws at me, but I am loving the heart rate information and the sleep information. 

Best Running Advice you have Received all year:  Sleep is the best recovery tool you have, use it wisely!  I have been trying really hard to hit the hay much much earlier than I use to, and that goal has been way more attainable as little man is getting more tired during the day thanks to kindergarten (and NOT napping).

Most Inspirational Runner:  I know that Shalane Flannagen is going to be most people's pick and her win at NYC was amazing, but my favorite new to me runner is Devon Yanko, ultra runner extraordinaire.  I heard her on a podcast this year and she just said so many things that just clicked with me! She also has been through some really horrible and crazy situations and lived to tell about it and her words are so powerful for me.  Check out her blog posts here, you won't be disappointed.  

Favorite Picture from a Run or Race this year: Okay can I have a top three please?  Seriously if you made me pick I guess the picture from the finish line of the Heartland 50 tells the best tale.


Relief.  Major relief.




Race Experience you would repeat in a heartbeat:  This one is easy because I already am.  The Bill Snyder half marathon is a race I am repeating, this year as a pacer.  I really love the point to point concept and the fact that the race is down hill.  While that may prove challenging to my pacing group, in 2018, I love running through the city I work in, and BONUS you can't beat finishing right by the stadium and getting your medals from the legend himself, Bill Synder.

Can't wait to see what 2018 has in store for me!!!  Have a great racing year!

No comments:

Post a Comment