Monday, March 19, 2018

Week 13 of 18: Training for the Flint Hills 50 and Trail Marathon

Image result for memes about daylight savings time
No one can resist a Princess Bride reference!
Daylight savings time, I hate you.  You wreck my world in so many ways.  My kiddo, who just started regularly going to bed at 8 pm now stays up later, my body thinks it's 2 am instead of 3 am when I get up to do my now high mileage weekly runs, and my dogs want to be fed all the time because they don't know what the hell is going on.  Why do we have to inflict this torture on ourselves every year????
Finally we can share an addiction!
 Monday:  Glorious rest day.  We had dinner down in aggieville at our favorite new Mexican restaurant post Sylvan.  My son  FINALLY tried a sopapilla and LOVED IT!  YES!  We also tried a new to us ice cream place that does rolled ice cream.  I didn't get any, but I sampled Andrew's chocolate sprinkles and tony's banana hazelnut.  Both were really, really good and now I can't wait to go back and get my own to indulge in!!!!


Tuesday:  7 easy.  Okay I decided to drop the 5th run a week because I just can't seem to fit that in right now.  I am officially giving up for now.  My coach kind of forgot I don't like 2 speed work sessions a week, so she had put two in for this week.  I quickly asked of the two which was more important, and she wanted me to do a 9 mile of 1.5 mile repeats (GULP) and drop the 7 miler with 2 x 2 mile repeats from last week.  I decided to do the 7 mile easy with the girls, and then do the 9 mile torture fest by myself.  This week is going to be pretty crazy anyway with Andrew and I leaving for Tennessee Thursday.  Mel and I headed out for 7 miles of gabbing, farting, and LEAVE IT.  For some reason my headlamp died about a mile in, so the dogs tried to give me a heart attack every mile or so by chasing after or acting very interested in things I couldn't see.  We had lots of leave its because it's black and white kitty love season and I don't want to be washing dogs at 4 am.  I am pretty sure they just like to try and give me a heart attack anytime my head lamp dies on purpose.  

Wednesday:  The plan was to get my 9 miles of speed work done either before work or get off work early and get er done.  Neither happened. I woke up feeling horrible, sure I was coming down with a another cold.  I decided to sleep in instead of getting up at 4 am to see if that helped.  I had a full day at work with more seminars to go to and more people to line out before I could take off for a week and half.  We also had Sylvan and another meeting to see how he was progressing within their system post work, so a full afternoon/night.   Plus, I still needed to pack both of us and get Stella ready for the journey.  I think through rest and Zicam I was able to thwart the cold somewhat, and I got most if not all packing done post Sylvan which helped us get up and going on Thursday morning, so I will call not running a win.

This was at a super cool rest area at the Welcome To Missouri visitor's center

Thursday:  Travel day.  The plan was there was no plan.  Sleep in and get some good sleep, drive as long as I felt like, stop if I felt like stopping, and go from there.  The weather was good, the traffic was manageable, other than St. Louis traffic that almost drove me nuts, and little man was very, very helpful and wonderful for this driving mommy.  We got in around 9 pm, and I of course couldn't sleep.  Then I was awake around 2 am and couldn't go back to sleep then either.  FUN!  With three hard work outs coming up, I needed my sleep, but I tried not to panic.  I had gotten good sleep the night before and that is what counts.


Friday:  I had lots of options on where to run, but I really wanted to check out this park mom told me about.  The loop around the park was 1 mile, and since I needed to do 9 laps, mom and Andrew were going to hang out at the playground while I looped.  For the most part, there was no one else out, so I listened to my podcasts and enjoyed the nice weather.  I don't think either of us were really ready for hotter weather, so my long run probably needs to be super early Saturday morning for sure.  Unfortunately during my running, mom stopped me to tell me that my step dad was being admitted to the hospital and that we needed to go.  My step dad has been having some breathing problems and they had progressively gotten worse.  After a Dr's visit that morning, he was sent to the ER to to be admitted as quickly as possible, but he was not allowed to drive.  Mom got him settled in while Andrew and I headed to lunch at Snappy Tomato and did some shopping.


Snappy Tomato was where I lived in college and I am so glad Jackson has one too.  It's basically pizza buffet all day long but super good pizza and super awesome dessert pizzas.  They also have an arcade, but I am the one that never has paper money so Andrew was bummed.  We instead headed to Walmart to stock up on legos for building while we were here.  

Saturday:  18 miles.  I had looked at several routes for running, but just never felt totally comfortable with any of them.  I decided to try to run around our house and made a ~5 mile loop that was an out and back and try that first.  I ended up doing three loops of that with minor variations to get my 18.  It was 99% humidity when I started and 81% when I finished, and I was drenched in sweat very quickly.  Of course the route was also super hilly, so by the end I was walking up hills, but I don't care, I got it done and that is all that matters.  I also caught up on my back log of AMR podcasts which is nice.  I hate getting behind as I feel like I am missing out!  Let's just say that I will be looking at other routes for my 20 miler, BUT it was super nice to stop by the house for potty breaks, load up on fuel when needed (although I misjudged when I would be back at one point and my dear old mom saved me by bringing me what I needed), and let Stella get a drink.  As we say in the south, it wasn't purty, but it was done!

Sunday:  Easy 5.  I meant to tack on an extra mile to make up for the 7 that I did instead of 9 on Thursday, but that just didn't happen.  I was at my in laws house in martin TN, where I also went to college, and running on back roads that I didn't totally know.  It's all farmland and cattle farms, but you just never know when there will be loose dogs.  After not encountering any at my 2.5 mile mark, I decided not to try my luck and turn around.  Wow, once again, I totally forgot how hilly western TN is.   

I am going to relax and enjoy my week at home.  I will be sharing my time between Jackson and Martin and will be getting runs done as I can.  Have a great week!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment