Monday, June 11, 2018

Hurtta Hiking Belt Review

pic courtesy of Hurtta North America website
When one of my friends told me that a piece of running gear that I had always wanted to try for my dogs was on sale half price, I had to jump on it!  I love my dog friends and they are always looking for good deals, and i love it when they alert me to good deals too!  I purchased the Hurtta Hiker Belt with hopes that the fact that the dogs and humans in the pictures on their website where running meant that it would work for running for me as well.  On the website, the company does mention that the belt is good for hiking, skating, skiing, or trekking.  Nothing about running, but it sure is set up to be good for running.  There is a panic release if your dog pulls you too hard, leg straps, a very heavy duty snap to put the line on, and a very comfortable fit.  There is also a bottle holder on the back as well as a pocket for phones.

My dogs aren't the worst pullers ever so this belt may be a bit overkill, but I could see how useful it would be if that was the case.  I like the fact that it is does have a quick release, as I could see how useful that would be in a race, specifically a down hill or super technical race when you feel out of control and are being pulled by a speed demon.

since my dogs are off leash during most of my runs, this is what my mid section looks like.  
Also, because my dogs on my typical route get off leash most of the run, that is a lot of stuff clanging around my waist for no reason.  I don't like hearing coins or keys clanging the whole time I run, so I need to figure out a way to quiet all of that.  The belt is definitely high quality though, and fits really well and is super comfortable.  I immediately LOVED the fact that when they do pull, there is no pressure on my back like my other belts.  Honestly though, that is about it for what I love :(  I hate to be brutally honest but here goes.


I don't like the fact that the only line that can really be attached is a super small light weight line.  I love my stunt puppy leashes and the fact that they have bull snaps on both ends.  This type of snap is really hard to attach to the quick release snap on the belt. I got creative and it worked, but I am going to need a lighter running line if I continue to use this belt, as that did not come with the belt.   I also am super use to the fact that as my dogs move from different positions in front of me or beside me or even behind me that the Stunt puppy belt moves with them. 

that is one heavy snap hitting my leg over and over again
On one of my first runs, it was a little humid and we are all getting use to it so deuce kept dropping behind me, and the leash was rubbing on my legs, as it was wrapped all the way around.  Plus, when my dogs don't pull, which can be much of the run, that heavy snap is banging on my thighs.  OUCH!

maybe they sell a bottle specifically for this belt?
I also don't like the fact that none of my bottles fit in the bottle holder.  I did finally find a regular old plastic water bottle that fit, but as I ran, it bounced up and down on my back, and I am NOT a fan of that at all.  Again, I guess if you are just going to walk and or hike in it, it would be perfect, but there is no way I can do a long run with something bouncing on my back continuously for hours. 


Let's talk about these leg straps.  I am not sure what the purpose of these legs straps is.  All I know is that as my mileage got greater throughout the week, those straps starting chaffing my legs/crotch area like crazy.  It didn't matter if they were tight or loose, they just kept getting in the wrong place and doing damage.  I am going to probably cut them off if I can't remove them.  


Overall, even with all of the things I don't like, I would still like to try this belt in a race when Stella would be pulling like a mad woman since it is kind to my back.  I really don't need all the extra storage and water bottle since I either run with a handheld or a pack, but it's nice to know I have it there if I need it.  Maybe I could stash some poop bags in there or something.  The quality seems to be first class, but for my overall daily runs, I will probably just stick to my Stunt puppy leash and waist belt set.  I do see that Hurtta does have this item discontinued, so maybe they are making an upgrade to it or maybe they won't sell it anymore, who knows.  They do make quality products and I am very glad I got to try it out as it makes me feel like a super speedy canicross expert LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment