Sunday, June 10, 2018

Week 1 training to Pace Hawk 100

I am calling this week 1 of training for pacing the Hawk 100 because honestly I don't know what else to call it.  I am going to be cautiously optimistic that this is happening and go from there.


Monday:  Rest day.  I did pick up some Hoka Bondis at my local running store.  SO many people have recommended Hoka's for PF, so I am drinking all the kool aid and jumping in with both feet (do you like that pun?).  At least they are purple!  Felt a little tight from previous week's run, so did my PT and some stretching.



Tuesday: 4 easy miles.  Time to check out my new Bondis!  When I put them on in the store they felt weird, but when I ran in them?  They felt just like my saucony triumphs!  I didn't feel like I was running on foam or on sand as others had said, I just felt like I was running.  What I did notice though?  My calf muscles were working differently, or more, or something.  When I got back from my easy run, and I mean it was super easy because the humidity was kicking and I am NOT acclimated, I quickly muscle flossed to try and work out some sore spots.  I will be doing all of my PT as usual, but in researching the heel drop, there some difference unlike what I was told.  I am not sure an 8mm versus a 4 mm is big enough to worry about, BUT I could tell my calves were working a little extra.  I also tried my new Hurrta running belt.  Why not try all the things, right?  I like it a lot, but it may be a bit much for the type of running I do.  I am guessing for racing or Canicross it would be perfect, but my dogs are off leash most of the run, so not sure I need such a big belt for my runs.  I will post a review of it later so you can see all of the cool parts to it.

This is my "I just ate dinner and had a beer but I am getting my ass on the bike" face
Wednesday:  Bike day!  When am I going to learn to get my butt out of bed to ensure that I get my work outs in????  I know this 100%, yet I still tell myself as I am hitting snooze that I will do whatever post work.  Especially now that I am working both jobs in earnest like a crazy person, this is not a good strategy.  I have not one, but four samples right now at KSU, and I am about to loose my mind going back and forth.  I know it is a blessing to have two job, and thankfully my job with my hubby is very flexible, but dang it, we had 1-2 samples for 2 years and are now SLAMMED!   This is why I need to be able to work out right now for sure!  Anyway, I lucked out and got on my bike around 8 pm, and just rode till it got too dark.  While I wanted 10 miles, I got close to 9, and called it good.


Thursday:  4 easy miles.  Lots of humidity, bugs, and a little bit of lightening.  Since I now know my Hoka's do have a bit of a difference in heel drop, I need to be very careful in ramping up in them.  I don't want to cause more injury to my already delicate lower body.  I am such a delicate flower lately :)
I chose having a long dinner and a beer over cycling today.  Yes, I need to start getting up early.
Friday: Barre 20 minute session called Full Circle.  I have been a bit naughty this week and I haven't gotten my strength in unless you count all the PT I do.  I didn't have time to bike because once again I slept in and I ate dinner with my family and took my time, but i did have time to squeeze a barre session in before bed.  Just 20 minutes and I was like a bowl of jello.  Plus my hip that had gotten a little tight instantly loosened up.


Saturday: Short long run.  Coach kind of left the week up to me as far as what I felt like doing.  I really didn't know how long to go, so just picked 6, which is usually about an hour for me and some change, and went with it.  I got up early and ate, even though I was only doing 6.  I really wasn't paying attention to the fact that when I woke up it was getting light, but as I was sitting there fueling and social media looking, it was getting darker by the minute.


Uh oh.  We had pop up thunderstorms firing up all around us, but luckily none of them looked like they were going to directly hit us.  As I headed out, I saw two local runners and asked if they had seen any lightening.  Yup was their reply.  Well crap.  I really don't play with lightening BUT I wasn't seeing any, so I was hoping they were wrong.  As I got about 1.5 miles out, I saw a bolt crack in the distance.  CRAP!  Decided to run more North and hope I could stay far enough way (is there a far enough?) and get more in cover versus being out in the open prairie.  Wasn't the smartest decision in the world but I really wanted to take advantage of the cooler temps and no sun.  I honestly felt GREAT during my run.  However, post running I had some pain in my hip, and my foot wasn't feeling the best.  To say I got very down very quickly is pretty accurate.  I immediately iced and took some advil.  Now to figure out, was the fact that I ran in my sauconys versus my new Hokas or is all of the steroid left over from my poison ivy out of my system now and my body really didn't heal but was masked by the roids?  I am sort of positive because I didn't have issues post the two 4 milers but still worried.  


Sunday: I really was torn on whether or not to try a run in my Hokas or to just bike.  In the end, waking up to temperatures in the 80s and not a ton of time, I decided to hop on my bike instead. 


I had a nice hour of alone time with my wonderful bike and some gravel.  It was hot, but I felt good getting some exercise in, and  even got a few podcast listened to. 


Then we switched gears and headed to Manhattan to celebrate Andrew's 6th birthday party at Widgets.  I will probably do a separate post because so many people got great shots, and i like to have all the pictures in one place so maybe one day Andrew can go back and read and enjoy.  Needless to say, we had a BLAST and we would do a party there again.  We ended up having way more kids than our allotted 12, but who cares, we had mega fun, all the cake was eaten, and the cookies all went to good homes :)  

Have a great week!  I have a chiro appointment on Monday, so should know more about where I am at right now and how or if I can proceed with training.  Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. You are going to do great! We will have to plan some outings to the trail this summer ❤️

    ReplyDelete