Sunday, September 23, 2018

T minus 2 weeks till Flat Rock 25K!

Wow, I didn't realize I could get this SORE!  From starting my on ramp, to getting a pretty intense massage, and then running 14 miles, I think I gave myself some pretty bad muscle strain in both of my quads and or IT band.  BOO! This is not what I wanted!  While my back/hip feels one thousand times better, now going down the steps is torture.  WHY!  This is suppose to help me with injuries not make them!  This is my biggest concern that doing anything intense like this will hinder, not improve my running.  I have three more classes (2 this week), so keep your fingers crossed that I do no more damage.

wonky ear says WHAT?
Monday:  Ice the quads and try not to cry.  I am not kidding, I could barely walk down the stairs in the morning and that scared the HELL out of me.  I have a race in two weeks that is pretty much nothing but hills!!! Maybe i should have started this journey post race?  I need my quads to function at 100%, not make me cry every time I try to step down!  I am toast if I can't get this under control!  I skipped most of squats in GOTR just to try and give anything time to heal and did minimal running during coaching.

Proof

Tuesday:  8 miles of speed work.  SAY WHAT?   I think my coach has lost her mind.  We are two weeks out, and I know this has been an odd training cycle but still WHAT?  My first inclination was to say not doing it.  It wasn't hard even though  she wanted mile repeats, and I got to choose the pace, and the speed was anything harder than easy.  Of course I had my on ramp planned that night, so had to get up and get it done before hubby had to go to work.  I decided to get up at 4 am, fuel, let stuff digest for an hour and head out.  Whatever I could get done before 7 am was the best I could do, and I could finish post dropping Andrew off at school.  Right before I headed out, I checked the weather.  Hmmmm....85% humidity and real feel temp around 75 so dew point was at 70.  To the mill I went.  The more I ran, the more my body hurt ALL over.  WHY???  I just had had the first run on Sunday where nothing hurt for the entire run, so why is this happening now?  I am hoping it was just running on the treadmill that did it versus my body just not being happy.  My quads were silent, but my hip and back flared again so badly I didn't think I would make it to mile 7.    I needed one more mile, but also needed to get my kid ready for school so I could be at the shop to meet our new employee for paper work.  While the watch data won't make sense, I did 4.2 mph for the easy, 3.2 for the recovery, and 5.3-5.5 mph for the hard.  My watch was about .5-.4 tenths of a mile off at any given time.  I am watching the series The Deuce (NSFW or for that matter when any littles are around) and somehow that is keeping me sane on my runs on the mill.  I can't wait to watch Ozarks season 2!!!!!

we lost another tooth!
Wednesday: Rest.  Again, let me back up.  I did my second on ramp class at Rising strong fitness Tuesday night.  While it was SUPER hot again, we worked more on shoulders and the form that goes with all of the shoulder raises.  Plus, we worked on proper form for rowing and riding the assault bike.  I was dripping sweat the whole entire time, but I made it through and even had a better time with the AMRAP.  The only difference I can think of is NO burpees, so I wasn't going from down on the floor to up in the air.  I rowed for 200 meters, did 10 shoulder presses with 10 lb dumb bells, and 10 step ups on the box.  I did feel like I worked really hard, but I didn't feel sick or get a headache.  WIN!


Thursday:  An easy 6, GOTR coaching, and my 3rd On ramp.  I am not sure if that should be in all caps, one word or what, so cross fitters, please feel free to hit me up and correct me if I am writing it wrong.  Several people on FB asked if I was working out on an On ramp on the road so...  Run was nice, coaching was fun other than having 3 girls fall (uh, we aren't running on ice ladies, stay on your feet), and the On ramp was fine until I did my timed thingy again.  This time it was 10 deadlifts,  a number of kettle bell swings (i think 14), and 21 jump ropes (single under thank goodness).  I was fine during my first round, got to the kettle bell swings during the second round and the blinding headache came rushing back.  WTF?????  My coach asked if i wanted to stop and I said no, so she substituted a strict press with dumbells and I was fine?   We are thinking vertigo of some sort at this time, but really not sure.  I am pretty sure that the going all the way down and getting all the way back up in the burpees was what got me the first time, but not sure.  Eliminating that swinging of my head and body sure did cure it this time, so who knows.  This is super frustrating because how am I going to know what moves aggravate this and how am I going to substitute constantly?  I am in need of a good total physical, so I guess this motivates me to get it done and make sure I am okay. I have done strength for years now including classes where you are timed or pushed and or just doing this kind of stuff in my bedroom and NEVER had any issues so really puzzled.  It was very hot in the gym again and I was pouring sweat, but none of the other moves bothered me so who knows?

Billy Joel at the K!
Friday:  Long run 12.  We had a crazy weekend coming up, so I HAD to get my long run done.  We had a upcoming concert in KC Friday night, which meant a long night into early Saturday morning of driving back, so no time for early morning Saturday long run.  Plus,  I was volunteering for Konquer the Konza Sunday morning, so no long run then.  I had full intentions of getting up at 4 am, fueling, and then getting in as much as possible before taking andrew to school, but after a long night of hot flashes and very little sleep, I gave up on that idea.  Not sure how much sleep I got, maybe 3 very broken hours at the most.  Menopause, if this is you I HATE you already.  Anyway, we had a big cool down happen and running later was amazing.  Stella and I almost got back to our normal 5 mph and I tried some new Tailwind flavors.  I didn't try the whole super concentrate the bottles trick this time, to try and cut down on the number i had to carry.  I did try the Naked version of Tailwind, and while it tasted super weird at first, I got use to it and liked it WAY more than the uber flavored versions.  Although, I wouldn't mind doing one bottle with caffeine in it to start out the run.  I still need to figure out carrying water for stella and am eyeing possibly getting a bladder for her water.


Saturday:  Soccer, sleeping, and being outside, oh my.  We got in from the Billy Joel concert around 1:30 am, so sleeping was the first thing I tried to accomplish. Of course the puppy was up at 6 am, but I managed to let tony sleep a little bit and then trade out for another hour or so.  Back up again, the concert was AMAZING!  Billy Joel has been on my bucket list for years, so when I saw he was coming to the K, I was like sign me up, here is my credit card!  We had amazing seats and had such a great time.  Tony and I really need to get away more often.  Minus the horrible traffic in and out of the parking lots, and the wall to wall people going into the stadium, it really was the perfect night.  After getting some sleep, we headed out for soccer and then we attended a Mine craft event at target.  While the soccer game wasn't that great in that we just couldn't score and the other team was full of awesome players and the mine craft event was just eh, we headed to firehouse subs (new in our town) to eat and then back home to nap.  I had some inkling that I would get my easy 6 in today, but that just didn't happen.  I ended up cleaning and doing laundry and then taking it easy and going to bed early.

Sunday:  Volunteer for Konquer the Konza and easy 6.  I had my usual spot on top of the monster hill that we runners lovingly call the stairs.  We had amazing weather, but the humidity was tough and I saw many runner soaked coming up that hill.  Most of the runners this year were in the 10K and the weather being nice helped get the 25 K runners to the finish line much quicker than previous years in my opinion.  I enjoyed ringing my bell and cheering those on because I know how much it means to me to hear a cowbell ringing and encouraging me on.  My plan was to run to my post which was about a mile away, cheer till the last runner came through, run a mile back to my car and drop off some stuff and then get 4 more miles to finish up my 6.  I got the first two runs done but when I went out to get my final 4, I got a raging headache that just wouldn't go away (different than the ones i get from working out).  I got my 4.5 and called it good.  I think lack of sleep finally caught up to me and i am hoping this week will be better. 

i love races that give out things other than shirts.  I LOVE this hat!

Short on sleep probably was my enemy this week and maybe even caused my headaches.  I can't win right now with a puppy that is up bright and early every morning and then activities that keep me up late at night.  I am looking forward to a light week this coming week, my last on ramp, and my fall goal race!  Flat rock 25K, here  stella and I come!



No comments:

Post a Comment