Sunday, September 16, 2018

T minus 3 weekends till Flatrock 25K


I am not sure what this week will bring since I didn't do a long run last weekend and am now suffering from a little bit of a Hawk Hangover :) Up for 2 days with only 3 hours, if that much of sleep will do it to you, BUT I had so much fun crewing and doing a tiny bit of pacing that I would totally do it again.  I am going to do a separate post on crewing and what we learned so look forward to that.

Monday:  Rest day.  First day coaching Girls on the Run 2018. We have a very large group this year and 4 coaches!  I am so excited to see these new girls grow and enjoy running/walking and excited to see the returning girls continue and be leaders for the new girls.  I am also really excited to coach with a new coach who is in grad school for ag ed.  I have a feeling we will have a lot in common (my BS is in ag:animal science)

Tuesday: I didn't have anything on my schedule, since I didn't know if or how much I would be running.  Coach said rest day, but I woke up feeling 1000 times better after two nights of getting pretty good pretty hard sleep.  I was a little sore from running in the wrong shoes the day before at GOTR, which makes sense because we were on concrete.   I also didn't realize it but I was super sore from all of the squats we did.  One of our work outs was a getting to know you work out and two of the activity stations were partner squats.  My quads were on fire, but at the time I was blaming the road and not the exercise the day before :)  Since my favorite new sort of trail at Annenburg Park was still shut down, thanks to the flooding on labor day, I had to hit Cico park again, which is all concrete sidewalks.  OUCH.  I put in my favorite podcast and headed out to just deal.  While the mornings have been wonderful lately with regard to temps, the days are still getting up into the 80s so I was a sweaty mess quickly.  I got my easy 6 done, with a few of the steeper hills being walking hills on the last 2 miles.

Wednesday: Rest day.  I am still catching up with sleep and sanity and laundry, so rest day it is.  I am starting my cross fit fun soon so no excuses right?  We also had soccer practice in which Andrew scored two goals.  Maybe we are finally getting it?

Thursday:  I had nothing on my schedule so decided another easy 6 couldn't hurt.  After the multiple squats I did Monday i have to say, my back was feeling much better this run.  My quads also had adjusted and were quiet.  My feet felt great as I ran on mostly gravel.  The temperature was wonderful, but the dang humidity was up around 100%.  URGH. 

After my run, I had my first evaluation or ON RAMP with a local Cross Fit coach.  My BRF Mel has been doing Cross Fit for a few months and LOVES it, and I had noticed they had a kettlebell class they were offering.  When I sent in an email to find out more details, the head coach emailed me back and wanted to talk.  She felt like the kettlebell class probably wasn't the best fit for me and it was also during the day in manhattan, which doesn't work with me working in Wamego.  She talked me into doing this ON RAMP program for four sessions and then we could go from there.  I KNOW doing strength work will significantly help me and I am sure that is why I have been continually injured lately.  I am hoping this will jump start my desire to get back in the saddle and the gym.  The only thing that is making me a bit  scared right now?  The cost!!!!!  I would probably only want to go to one or two sessions a week and that  works out to about 15 dollars a class IF i sign up for the total package at 120 a month OR180 dollars if I do one PT session a week for four weeks.  The punch card is 10 sessions for 20 = 200 bucks.  I am not sure where this is going to go and won't make a decision until the ON RAMP is done, but I really am not leaning towards Cross Fit classes.  Let's see if I change my mind :)

giant foam willie claw and new KSU shirt, CHECK!
Friday:  Cross train. Let's back up a bit.  After my ON RAMP, which was hard, amazing, fun and SWEATY, I got a blinding headache.  I noticed it when I was doing my final part of my timed event at the end.  I am not sure what caused it or why it came on, but it kicked my ass.  I was suppose to meet up with my hubby post work out for dinner and as soon as i pulled in the parking lot, I immediately got super sick to my stomach.  I made it home without passing out or puking, but felt pretty out of it the rest of the night and into the next day. I couldn't get rid of the headache and actually woke up with it as well.  I felt like i was more than hydrated and I had eaten a honey stinger waffle upon leaving GOTR and heading to Manhattan, so I wasn't working out on an empty stomach.  The gym was hot, as I have learned most Cross Fit gyms are, so that could have been it.  I don't run well in heat and I certainly don't work out well in heat.  The temperature didn't really bother me till we did the timed event (i am sure it has a sexy Cross Fit name).  I have three more classes, so I am interested to see if the other three go like this one.  Friday was a wash with regards to cross, but I am hoping we are moving back in the right direction.
heading to the stadium
Saturday:  easy 6.  This was one  of those days where everything had to go according to a very tight plan.  I needed to get a short long run in, had a massage scheduled again in wamego at 9 am, soccer at 11:30 am and then needed to head to the KSU game to do a brief tailgate before heading to the stadium.  I got up super early to run and my tummy had other plans, so I had to eat and then wait an hour before I could run.  Bleh.


Back in time to quickly shower and head to the massage lady.  We did some more cupping and did cupping of my legs and feet.  It was super painful, BUT I could tell a HUGE difference post doing it.  Cupping of the sore and tight IT band was the worst.  Cross Fit did a number on me for sure, but still no pain in my back or hip thus far, so I will take it!


Soccer was interesting as it was SUPER hot and the kids kind of wilted in the first quarter, but Andrew played decent and hustled as he could for as hot as he was (and as short as the practices have been but I digress).  After soccer we loaded up to head to the KSU stadium for some tail gating and football.  Andrew had never been to a game and I figured this would be a good one to go to.  


It was super hot and we were packed in like sardines, but after half time the crowd thinned (we were in the band parent section LOL) and we had a better time.  We lasted about 3 quarters before Andrew was completely done and we headed back to our special parking spot near Blue Stem grill for dinner to let the traffic thin out.  I enjoyed parking there and how easy it was to get out and they are running a special right now that if you get a parking pass, you get a 20 dollar gift card, so it was worth it. 


Sunday:  Long run day.  I got in bed reasonably early with hopes of getting up and getting out to some trails.  When I woke up, I had no desire to drive anywhere so I just hit up my normal route.  I know this is going to kill me when I run Flat Rock but so be it.  Right now I can't make plans to meet up with anyone since I never know how the puppy is going to do overnight and how much sleep I am going to get.  

I decided to try to fuel with tail wind because A) i have been wanting to and B) i had no other fuel to last for at least 3 hours of running.  I had no clue what to do other than I wanted 200 calories per hour.  I loaded up with some run gum and a water bottle with tailwind berry + caffeine and a water bottle with water.  I figured out real quickly I needed four bottles honestly, 2 with tail wind and 2 with just water because after 1 hour, I was no where near the house and I needed to refuel.  I probably should have held off on TW till after the first hour but oh well, live and learn.  I tried to get a bottle per hour (i had powder on me so I just added it to the water I had left) and ended up needing to make a pit stop at the house to re fill water bottles.  I learned for sure that using the flavored TW is too much for me.  While my stomach was fine, my brain kept saying too much sweet, too much sweet.  My teeth also started hurting pretty badly so I will try the naked next time.  I did LOVE the way it made me feel = constant energy versus a spike and then a let down.  I also loved how the caffeine kept me awake and alert.  I am willing to try again and I don't mind making a pit stop at the house to re fuel (and pee in a flush toilet:).  I liked that instead of not really hydrating, I downed at least three 17 oz bottles of water plus just the regular water I drank to bring the sweet down a little.  The biggest down side? I have to figure out how to carry enough water for me and stella.  I think having four bottles will help and in the race we will have aid stations.  

Overall, even with a hawk hang over, I felt pretty good.  I would like to think I am tapering next week but I never know what my coach is thinking so I guess I will check final surge and be surprised either way :)  

Have a great week!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment