Sunday, October 22, 2017

6/12/24 Hour race countdown beings.

T minus 27 days till my next ultra!  Now that I have my body slowly coming back to normal, my brain is starting to grasp that I have less than a month before I am going to attempt my fourth 50K!  This week, the focus is still on recovery and then my very first pacing gig at the KC half marathon/marathon.  I want to do a good job and motivate ladies and gentlemen to reach their goals.  I wish I knew more about the route to be able to give them an idea of what is coming up, but this is my first year at running this route as well.  I entered this race a few years ago and didn't run it due to my almost stress fracture.  I hear this is a slightly new route, so maybe it wouldn't matter anyway if I had run it before. I have lots of good running stories or non running stories, whatever they may want to hear and I love to talk, so there is that.

We finally got our graphics on the "tank" as I call it

Monday:  Rest day.  GOTR day.  The girls did better, but a few didn't show up at all, and a few kind of walked a little more than I would like.  After some pretty vigorous stretching pre and post running, I did maybe a mile of walk run with my girls to help them get their goals.

Andrew or Captain Underpants?

Tuesday:  3 easy miles.  Talked to coach and she gave me the option of taking it easy this week and just cross training, or doing 3 or 4 easy miles a couple of times.  I of course chose the later because 1) I may go insane if I don't do something 2) i need some BRF time 3) biking this time a year is tricky because the sun rises so late and we have sports post work, so can't ride post work.  I really need to invest in some good lights for my bike.  My iphone light or my running headlamp really isn't good enough.  Anyway, it was super hard to get back into the routine of getting up early, but it felt SO good to be back out.


Wednesday:   Cross training.  I had grand plans of getting on my bike and heading out post picking up andrew.  Some how my van found it's way to the local bar/deli, and before I knew it, we were having beer and sandwiches and the sun was going down.


Then we went and had ice cream, because why not when you have already completely blown your diet. I am still kind of celebrating Chicago/resting/recovering, but that was suppose to end at the beginning of this week:) . 

Having lunch at our favorite local bakery outside.  Loving this fall weather!

Thursday:  4 miles easy.  When 4 am came along, I just hit snooze.  Something gave me horrible indigestion and I was up and down all night.  The thought of getting up early when I could sleep in (since andrew didn't have school) just didn't sound right.  I sent melly a text and said run post work? We had parent teacher conferences that night, but we were hoping it would be quick and then I could change and get on the road. 

While the conferences took a little longer than we had hoped, we got lots of really good reports in andrew's progress thus far.  He had a pretty rocky start at first transitioning to play and learn to just learn, but he is getting much better with sitting still, controlling his emotions, and trying new things.  He LOVES art and music which just makes my heart sing :).  His music teacher was amazed that he already knew certain note values and was starting to learn to read sheet music.  His art teacher gave us some good suggestions on what to get him for sketching, since he is in a phase and loves to draw.  All in all, he still has some room for improvement and is getting extra help in reading, but progressing and learning in all other areas at a rate that pleases his teachers.  The four miles went by quickly post conference.  Little to no pain in the hip, YIPEEE!!!!!

We are on a street car/trolley!
Friday:  Rest day.  Travel day.  I am going to do a separate post about the race, but Lindsey and I traveled down to KC friday afternoon for the expo held at Union Station.  I got to see my favorite vendor Gypsy Runner and buy some of her new reflective shorts.  I honestly could have gotten one of everything in her booth.  I MADE myself put back a second pair of shorts and looked lovingly at the cold gear.  I wish I could go to all of amy's races that she vends at so I could get one thing a week :) . Check out Gypsy runner on Facebook and on her website!  She has THE BEST Shorts for running!  I won't run in anything else!

I love this pretty medal!  

Saturday:  Race day!  2:40 pace group.  Check back for a separate post on my very first pacing gig.  Overall, I LOVED it!  I knew I would!

Sunday:  Rest day.  Got to bed super early and got almost 12 hours of sleep. Hip is a little sore, but nothing like it has been, and I know what to do to get it to relax and release.  Will be doing lots of stretching today and seeing Dr. Needles again Monday. 

Have a great week!!!  Looking forward to some rest and some easy miles before getting back to the grind!

No comments:

Post a Comment