Sunday, October 15, 2017

A Week of Recovery


Mom and I celebrating my tummy cooperating again!
This week is all about recovery.  Lots of sleep, a little bit of cross training if possible, and lots of icing/heating/rolling.  I may OD on tart cherry juice :) I wish i was one of those bright eyed and bushy tailed runners that just bounces back a few hours post race and is running a few days later.  Unfortunately, my body doesn't ascribe to that theory, and in fact is pretty hateful after most races.  It always amazes me that I can be that sore post such a flat race.  My quads at the top are TRASHED.  My hip isn't hurting as it was in the race, but everything about it  and around it feels SUPER tight.  I managed to get my appointment with Dr. Needles moved up to Thursday and am still trying to get in with the man with the healing hands Doug at Body First ASAP.  I have decided there is NO way in hell i can even walk the 5 K this weekend, but the money goes to such a good cause that I don't care.  Recovery is the most important and pacing the half in two weekends takes precedence.  My tummy finally after two days of not loving anything is back to accepting food at regular intervals.  Finally got to have my victory beer Tuesday night!

Been getting evil side eye ever since I got home. She knows I raced without her
Later on in the week,  I was able to see Dr. needles and have a mini breakdown.  He is use to my tears, usually because he is the cause of them :) . Overall, he said my body was in a really good place, especially post running a marathon.  He suspects it is a strain due to my adductors and abductors not working together in my hip.  I also have some inflammation on my trochanter and some other slight things off.  Probably one of the most painful things he did was work on ART on my back.  Apparently my trunk took over the duties of helping me run and it was out of whack majorly.  Something he was doing on my back fired up my abs, so they were fluttering and contracting while he was back there getting things to release.  It is an odd and cool feeling how your whole body is so interconnected and how certain parts of you take over if needed.

I could stay at the chimp enclosure all day
Friday was a day off for Andrew from school, so we headed out for an Andrew:mommy day that included some zoo time, some chickfila time,  and some park time with soccer friends.  Lot of walking and my hip felt sore, but better.  I actually ran one half of one lap during Girls on the Run practice.  I wasn't planning on moving period, but one of the girls was struggling, so I power walked with her.  Then the head coach announced we were done and she wanted to finish her current lap so we ran/speed walked so she met her goal.  After a rough few weeks with the kiddos, I am happy to say that they all are meeting or exceeding their goals for their laps.  I guess our pep talk (and some pep talks from some parents:) really helped.


I finally did a slow and super easy run Sunday.  I really battled the thought of taking one more day  off, but I really needed to get out more for the mental side of things.  The dogs were SUPER happy.  They have had more issues with the taper than I have.  They ran and played and ran some more.  When they were attached to me, they pulled like sled dogs!  I am going to take next week super easy as well and probably see Dr. Needles one more time.  My hip felt really good during my run, just a tiny bit sore, but more sore from what he did than anything.  I am feeling much better about running and my hip and life in general :)


I am going to end this post with some thank yous and some sappy thoughts, so if that isn't your thing, I get it and you should stop reading now :) . First, thank you so much to my hubby. 


 I try and get up as early as humanely possible, so I am done about the time everyone is getting up, but it doesn't always work that way.  Some days it later and some days its post work, and for the most part, my hubby always smiles, says no problem and takes our 5 year old (going on 13) and deals.  He also never tells me no when I come up with all of these crazy ideas, like let's do a marathon and then an ultra twice this year, meaning two times traveling and the costs that come with that.  He also helps me out as much as possible financially with my numerous chiro visits, massage appointments, and tart cherry juice/gear/essential oil purchases to keep my 40 year old body from falling apart.  I love you, and am so glad you are in my life.  


Thank you to my running partner Melly.  Thank you so much for getting out of bed twice a week at 4 am to do speed work/hill repeats/whatever coach Jenny throws at us, no matter what the weather.  Thank you for listening to me bitch/moan/cheer about whatever we are doing and for the constant hating of humidity in the Kansas summer.  Thank you for signing up for races with me, cheering me on from a far, and always being there for me with an ice cold beer.  I love you and you are amazing.  


Thank you to my mommy, who came to KS despite tearing up her knee a few weeks pre Chicago, due to some stupid hornets stinging her and chasing her down.  While we were ready to pay for a ticket for little man to go to Chicago with us, she understood how important it is for us to have time away, and she put your big girl brace on and headed out for a 9 hour drive to Kansas and then 9 hours back using her bad leg.  She toughed it out walking him to school and chasing him around at soccer AND taking him to Oztoberfest.  You are wonder woman and I will always love you for being so selfless. 

 Another huge thank you to my coach, Coach Jenny, for always putting together a killer plan that includes strength training, running, active stretching, and anything else that is state of the art new to running that you love.  I know you have lots of clients, but I always feel like you have time for me to answer all of my questions and listen to my whining about speed work and or doing anything on the dreadmill.  Thanks for always pushing me farther than I think I can go, and thanks to always saying yes to my cray cray ideas like let's do two marathons and two ultras in one year.  

Last but not leasth, thank you to all of my running friends out there both here and on social media.  Y'all are awesome for cheering me on, running with me in person, and sending me the nicest notes!  Running friends really are the best!

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment