Saturday, November 7, 2015

Race Recap: Tails on the Trail 2015

You know me, find a race that I can run with  my training partner Stella ella and I am there!  I found this race right after Andrew was born a few years back, and have been going back as long as I am healthy.
This year I talked my good friend Mel into going with us.  Stella was very happy to have two of us there.  Mel is speedy so she lined up much closer to the front than we did, and I am pretty sure that is why I saw a 6:45 for a brief second on my watch.  She was trying to get to her beloved Mel.
Stella didn't like waiting around.  I am glad we got there early though because packet pick up was a breeze and I even managed to change clothes from what I originally was going to wear.  I had picked out tights and a long sleeve shirt but ended up in a skirt, compression socks and a long sleeved shirt.  I really think I would have been fine in a tech T, with maybe some arm warmers till I warmed up.  The weather was PERFECT!
I LOVE this race.  Seriously.  They even give the dogs bibs to wear.  The race starts out relatively flat.  You go across open fields that have gently small rolling hills.  Then you head around a baseball diamond area twice before you head out to the trails.  There is a mix of hills, flat, rough and smooth terrain.  There is one monster hill but it is over fairly quickly.  I really didn't know what to expect with my legs.  I still feel like we are slowly recovering, and that the speed in them isn't there.  Plus, I am battling my ankle not being 100%.  I am happy to say that even though we negative split, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  8:43, 8:54, and 9:25.  I would like to keep them all under 8, well, honestly I would LOVE to hit three 8:30s, but I guess I still have a ton of work to do.  It was a super small race, so I ended up finishing in 27:40 and 2nd in my age group, 10th woman overall.  Stella ella and I won a cute little trophy, and another beautiful embroidered scarf.  

Mel G won second in her age group as well.  Stella wanted to pose with her so I let her.  


We had a TON of fun and will be back next year.  I wish the weather could be this nice every year:)

If you are looking for a small race, less than an hour from manhattan that you can do with your dog, this is the one for you.  100% of the entry fee goes back to the shelter!!!!  You can't beat that!
Stella ella and I were very honored to be part of the brochure/poster last year.  
Happy Trails and until Next year!







No comments:

Post a Comment