Sunday, May 14, 2017

Week 1 of the in between

Not sure what to call this.  I am doing another half marathon, one that I have been wanting to do for a while now.  The Bill Synder half is in Manhattan, which is 15 or so minutes away, and most of my friends run it every year.  It never has fit into my schedule of races and last year Andrew and I worked it for the Wicked race as ambassadors.  This year, I decided to take the plunge when a friend was selling her bib.  I most certainly will not be racing it, just mainly hoping to survive it on some weary legs.  This week is more about continuing my recovery and staying injury free!!!  While I admit, I am jealous of all of my ultra friends who are already back racing or running major mileage, I know my body and I know that I need more time to recover than most.

Monday: Rest glorious rest.  Round 2 of t ball clinic.  Much better this time. Tony went out and warmed him up,  as most of the other parents were doing.  Post that, Andrew instructed me he wanted me to stand at a hole in the fence and watch, so I did so.  He came off of the field three times to "rest" and get a drink.  In his defense,  the thermometers were reading 90 at the bank, but it didn't feel that hot.  I like the fact that this year, they are doing some good drills that actually get the kids ready for games and incorporate basic skills like throwing and catching.  Last night had a drill where the second baseman was scooping up the ball and throwing to first, so they all got to play two positions.  No crying and post t ball, he ate like a horse, eating a whole plate of sweet and sour chicken (with the sauce on it), and most of a cup of egg drop soup!

Tuesday:  5 easy miles.  While it wasn't super hot or humid, it was much more than I have previously dealt with,  so my body was hating me.  Legs still felt heavy and body still feels a little tired, but overall, glad to be back in the saddle again.  Stomach was pretty not happy by the end of the run, so there was lots of clinching and praying that last half of a mile.  The glorious life of a runner!

Wednesday:  bike ride/strength training.  I am trying something new.  Since after work is jammed packed with activities with andrew including track club and t ball now, I have to start getting up and getting my work out pre-work.  I tried doing strength before work previously, but it just didn't stick.  Fortunately, the sun is coming up earlier, so there is enough light for me to hit my bike and head out on the gravel pre-work.   I tried getting up about 5:30 and fueling before heading out around 6 am.  I didn't get the 10 miles in I wanted to, but it gives me a goal to work towards.  I think I ended up with 9.69 miles in an hours time.  Strength I can do at any time, even right before bed, so not going to worry about that for now.    

Thursday:  easy 4 miles.  When we awoke at 4:20, there were angry storms about.  We decided to call it quits and run later.  I woke back up at 6 am and it wasn't raining, so I decided to get a quick four by myself.  Of course a mile in, it started to down pour again and I didn't have my phone in a Ziploc, but I decided it was probably water proofed enough in my gypsy runner shorts.

It stopped raining a few times, long enough to snap some pics of my crazy dogs!  Stella's hair is growing back finally, YIPEEE!  Maybe soon enough she won't look like the bad gremlin from the movie gremlins.  Later on that night, this happened.

I can't believe it is already kindergarten time!  I will make a separate post of all the pics and videos, because we took a bunch!  I didn't cry though, so be proud!  I figured I would be a blubbering mess.

Friday:   Got in another bike ride with Rocking Robin.  We got in 12, only because I took the day off and mom was there to watch andrew.  We gave andrew the choice of what he wanted to do that day and he picked donuts, zoo, and walmart.  Didn't make it to walmart, but did make it to the zoo.

It really was the perfect day for it, except for the fact that EVERY LOCAL SCHOOL was there.  I am not kidding, I have never seen so many buses in one parking lot.  

This was the only animal pic i took.  My high school mascot was a cougar so SHOULD HAVE BEEN A COUGAR was going through my head the whole time he was sitting there.  Yes, there is glass between us.  How majestic is he/she?  Look at those paws!  May I never ever meet one of these guys in the wild!!!!

Of course we had to hit up the kid's room in the museum, and we had to play with the legos for quite a while.  He even picked out a lego giraffe for his toy at the end of our visit.  Kind of like the lego phase, but sad to say good bye to the Thomas phase.  One more year of day at the Thomas and then no more :(

After our day at the zoo, we decided to stop at the Russell Stover's factory outside of Abilene.  I am blown away by how much candy they had there!!!!  Plus, they had ice cream that they made sundaes with that included the chocolate that they made the candy with.  Holy moly that was the best sundae EVER!  They even have a room with discounted chocolates and let's just say you could drop a major amount of money there and have enough chocolate to last for years!  

Since I wasn't sure if my hubby had gotten me anything for mother's day, I got me and my mom some chocolate.  I had previously ordered a new trucker hat for running and it came in when we got back from our trip, so I let my hubby off of the hook and said he could count that as my mother's day present.  Pretty excited to try out a headsweats technical trucker hat and really excited that gypsy runner may start stocking them so I can get more!

Saturday:  Long run.  6-8 miles.  Just me and the pups.  Mel was racing and Rocking robin was graduating her daughter from college.  I am not going to lie, this run plain sucked from start to finish.  I had had two beers the day before, plus a whole bunch of bad food.  I struggled from start to finish, but I got 7 miles in and called it good.  

It was so humid, which didn't add to the fun.  I am not ready for humidity in the 90s.  Bleh.  


Was treated to doughnuts in bed sort of (had already gotten out of bed by that time) and coffee.  Put off my running till after the doughnuts were digested.  Decided to make it a family affair.  I was hoping andrew could make it with me for the full three miles, riding his bike of course.  He almost made it to mile one before he petered out.  Luckily Tony was tailing us so he caught up and took him for me while I finished my run.  I only did 3 miles as I am really, really sore.  I am not sure why I am so sore actually.  I am hoping that I am just getting old and that I am not on the edge of injury.  Sigh.  

Post my short run, we headed to topeka to have mother's day lunch.  My mom and I enjoyed our cracker barrel and then afterwards we hit up a putt putt golf place we had never been to.  Let's just say I had huge flash backs to our little local Jackson gooney golf place that went out of business years ago.  

Many of the obstacles were the exact same.  SO many nights and weekends playing with friends on that course.  Sigh.  Those were the good old days!  Afterwards we played in the arcade and won some tickets.  Andrew left with a blow up guitar which makes me laugh.  Of all the choices, that was what he wanted.  

Hope you had a great week and hope you have a great upcoming week!  I am getting super excited to run the Bill and run with Rocking Robin.  Hoping too to continue my streak of getting up early and to get back to strength.  

No comments:

Post a Comment