Friday, February 23, 2018

Let's have a beer....or February Runfessions!

Welcome to today's addition of let's have a beer or good ole February runfessions.  Grab your favorite cold one and sit down for random musings from Michelle's head.  This is going to be all over the place as usual, so buckle up!


Grab a cold one and let's talk about Andrew's issues with school.  Yeah I know, last runfession I was singing his praises with school.  Now we are back at square one, so let's start there so we can jog our memories.   See what I did there, jog???  At first he seemed to have a super hard time adapting to the rigors of kindergarten.  If you have been with me for a while, you know I was super torn about him even starting kindergarten since he is a young 5.  Since the majority of his pre-K class was graduating and going to school together, I felt confident that all would be fine. I am very honest in saying it has been very rough for him.    I am SO glad that his teacher is very communicative to the point where we have had so many meetings thus far that i don't even think we really need parent teacher conferences at this point.  If you remember, after Christmas, the behavior issues seem to get better and his behavior chart started being dominated by purple or green, the top two colors.  Then I heard the news that we needed to fill out a Vanderbilt test, that his issues with focus were not getting better, and needed to be addressed as he was falling behind on his reading and math.  I am not going to lie, I immediately researched the test and found it was a preliminary test for the path of ADHD diagnosis.  While I feel like that he could have some form of ADHD (Because honestly don't we all), I also feel like he is a super young 5, so how would we know the difference????  Plus, all the literature I looked at said 5 was way too young to even make a proper diagnosis.  When I have brought up maturity issues, I am always told that is not what is going on.  I am super confused, but I do feel like the teacher has Andrew's best interest at hand, and that i have to put away any defensiveness I have against labels. Now we are heading down the path of testing and tutoring, and let's make it rain money to get this taken care of.  How do people that are not blessed with financial stability or good health insurance deal with this????  As always, I will keep you posted.  At this point we are going to try Sylvan as it comes highly recommended, and also hold off on any ADHD specific tests to see if just the extra tutoring helps him improve.  If anyone has had a similar experience or has any advice, please let me know!

just singed up for the 10K since I can actually do this race this year!
I also runfess  I super love racing and pacing races, but the training part is just not as fun as it use to be.  I am having super hard time getting motivated to go out and run, especially early in the morning, and during my long runs, I am counting down the miles till it is done.  This really scares me, because the weather lately has been pretty conducive to running, yet my mojo isn't where it needs to be.  Yet, I LOVE signing up for races and I keep looking at more and more.  I still am not ready to do a 50 miler and am at peace with the decision that I may never actually do one.  I am thinking about doing the timed race I did last year again and signing up for the 12 hour option, but just running as long as I can, not really going for a specific distance.  Anyway, I need to get that love for training back.  I am killing my speed work lately, but still not as happy as I use to be about getting hard stuff done.  It's almost like it is job right now, and I just am not interested in running as a job. I have never had motivation issues before, so this is all new to me.  I think part of the problem is in winter, I do have more flexibility with running because I don't have to beat the heat, so I end up beating around the bush at home instead of getting ready and getting out.  Maybe this will change once the heat and humidity comes back around as it always does in good old Kansas.

Momma I'm coming home!!!!
One last runfession here.  I am super excited to go home for spring break!!!!  Nothing like a trip back home to rejuvenate yourself.  Mom and Mom in law's good cooking, time with friends, and trips to see things that have been built since I have moved away are good for the soul!  Sad that I couldn't find a race to do while I am there but still holding out hope that a St. Pat's race pops up nearby.  I never really enjoy the 9 hour drive by myself with a toddler, but by breaking it up into two days and stopping and doing something fun, I can mentally manage.

Well, we are on day 3 of snow days here in Wamego, so hoping March showers bring April flowers and no more snow days!  At this rate, we may be going to school right up until school starts again LOL!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment