Saturday, February 24, 2018

Psycho Wyco 10 mile Trail race


Wow, this was one TOUGH race.  Let's start at the beginning shall we?  Mel, Pat, and I headed over around 6:15 am to catch the shuttle to the start.  The 50K racers were allowed to park at the start/finish area, but the rest of us had to go to a church and be bused over. Lucky for us, the weather driving up while foggy, was above freezing and all precip was rain.  Pat drove, and stella and I cuddled in the back.  I had been watching the weather all this week and I knew the trails were going to be a mess but honestly, i had no clue they were going to be as bad as they were.  Let's not get ahead of ourselves shall we?  

Image may contain: Michelle Gordon Coleman, smiling, standing, dog and outdoor
or maybe we shall get ahead of ourselves since blogger is being weird!
The 50K/20 mile runners started at 8 am sharp, and as we were getting off of the shuttle bus, they were taking off.  We got to see Lindsey and Cindy start off with a very large pack of runners.  I think I saw there were close to 300 runners in the 50K/20 mile distance.  We tried our best to stay warm and dry while getting our packets and getting our bibs pinned on and ready.  Stella had to wear a bib too, and I totally forgot to bring zip ties, so we had to get creative with her bib.  I ended up pinning her bib around her leash, while trying not to bend her timing strip.  It wasn't long till we were lining up to head out.  

I knew from the past that I was going to be at the back end of the runners, and that I would be walking for quite a while due to all of the runners in my distance.  I think we had pretty close to 300 runners just in the 10 mile run.  The first part of the race goes over a bridge, up a hill, and then turns onto a rocky single track trail, where you are basically single file for quite some time.  The advantage of being at the back?  You don't have to worry about too many people passing you.  The disadvantage of being at the back?  The trail gets destroyed before you even get to the hard parts.  I ran this trail a couple of years ago and it had muddy tough spots.  This time, I would say 80% of the trail was MUD.  Just when you thought you were going to be able to run, you would realize that you had 10 lbs of mud on your shoes or that the section you thought was runnable actually wasn't.  I fell twice, one going up a hill, and once coming down.  I managed not to go face first into the mud, by catching myself with my hands and of course got mud all over my gloves.  I quickly shed that pair and then fell backwards not too long after that and got that pair muddy too.  I was basically covered in mud by the end and so was stella.  I swear there was one hill I was on my hands and knees crawling up.  If Stella had not been there, I don't know how I would have gotten through some of that mud.  The fact that some of those 50 K super awesome ultra guys ran most of that, even slowly amazes me.  I had very few runnable portions.  Probably the road crossings and the part along the dam where about it.  


 I mostly had prayable portions.  Praying not to fall and hurt myself, praying not to fall on and hurt stella, or praying not to step on stella with my screwed shoes.


You can see my pace was pretty slow compared to what I normally can do.  I can usually get around the 15-16 minute mile mark on this trail.  Not today.  I did forget to start my watch, so my distance is a tad bit short.  Plus, well trails mess with GPS.  I learned after last time to use the distance on my watch as a suggestion, and not a be all end all.  I mainly judged my distances based on where the aid stations where.  I saw so many people fall, and I truly hope everyone is okay.  I know I am super sore, even after soaking in the tub for a full thirty minutes in epsoms salts.  This trail is SUPER fun and there were portions that I had a good laugh, like the hill I basically had to climb up on my hands and knees because it was so slippery, or the parts with the ropes, or when stella would pull my butt up the hills and then look back at me like, why am I doing all the work.  I also got a really good laugh at the guy that complained that running with a dog isn't fair.  Did you see my horrible finish time dude?  I really don't think she helped me win or anything like that, so don't get your panties in a wad.


Let's just say by the end of this race, we were both covered in mud.  I had mud on my shoes, in my shoes, all over my gloves, all over my face, and on my butt.  Stella was a giant mud monster as well.  Super thanks to my bestie for letting me transport stella in her jeep, and putting blankets and towels down so we could cuddle up and be warm on the ride home. 


Is this not the cutest medal you have ever seen?  The little tornado spins!


We got so much awesome swag though!  A full zip hoodie, a glass, a new PURPLE buff, and a medal with a spinning tornado, plus Stella got a new...something.  Not sure what it is, but it sure is pretty!

Image may contain: outdoor
running it in!  I think my time was pretty close to 3:43-3:44
I did love this race and I do love the volunteers, but running in that mud for that period of time just did me in mentally and physically.   I really love that trail, and would love to do it when I am not swimming in mud, just to see what I could really do.  I can't wait to see the pictures that Mile 90 got as well!  You can't beat free pictures, and you especially don't want to miss Mile 90s AMAZING shots!   I will be back to avenge my horrible time with Stella ella by my side!

Image may contain: 3 people, including Michelle Gordon Coleman, people smiling, people standing and outdoor
my running family
I do want to send a shout out to my super speedy running partners in crime.  Not only did they both kick ass on the course, they drove me to and from the race because I am a wuss, they were at the finish taking pictures, and they got me chili and beer post race and took Stella and fed her, so I could eat in peace.  Plus, they stopped at McDonald and got me some coffee for warming up and Stella a burger.  I don't know what I would do without them and love them dearly!  Next time maybe I can rope them into coming to my house and helping me wash the muddy beast know as stella ella!


Stella says night night all!!!!  Thanks Trail nerds for an amazing race!  See you down the line!


1 comment: