Sunday, February 25, 2018

Week 10 of 18: Training for the Flint Hills 50 and Trail Marathon

Welcome to another week of Mother Nature needs her meds ASAP!  After a weekend of 50-60s we plummeted right back into winter with freezing rain, snow, and cold, cold, cold.  I am so ready for spring, but NOT ready for humidity.  Race on Saturday. Cue the freaking out and falling apart of the body. 
our project for the day.  Rose and Finn's plane

Monday:  Rest day.  Official day off of school for Andrew.  Day 5 of being in the house.  I have mopped, cleaned, cooked, and repeated x 5.  I need to get out!!!!  I kid though, I am loving being home with him and doing mom stuff that i really didn't' get to do till now.

Stella is famous!  She is being featured on the Honey Stinger FB page :)

Tuesday:
  Snow day, day off.  Around 1 am, we had thunder, lightening, hail, and ice storm.  Luckily, I don't think we got as much as they thought we would, but we got enough that roads were a mess even with a 2 hour delay.  I am really glad that the school system called it, because even by 10 am the roads were still a big huge mess.  I knew that I was going to hit the mill, probably after work, but when i was forced to stay home, I figured I could hop on and get it done early.  I got all prepared, turned my watch on, and set out.  The first thing was I noticed my watch was back to being Kara Goucher, so my plan was post the warm up mile, I would have to hand time what I was doing.  Sigh.  Doable but not fun.  Well, about three quarters of the way in, I had shooting pain from my butt check up my lower back.  WTF????? I immediately got off and stretched and walked around a bit.  Got back on and walked some.  Was a little sore, but no more shooting pain.  I decided to scrap the speed work, but try and finish the mileage and walk if I needed to, unless there was pain.  Got 5 miles in, but had to hop off of the mill a few times and take care of business.

Wednesday:  I decided to venture onto the mill and see what I felt like.  I didn't think the speed work would be doable and with it being this close to the race and a pacing gig next weekend, I didn't want to push it.  About three miles in, I started feeling a little sore, so I got off and did some stretching, some rolling, and MYRTL.  I will probably do those three things religiously until the race and then after the race.  I finished Ozark.  WOW!  I can't wait to see season two, if my heart can handle it.   I am going to be very honest, the toe nail scene almost did me in for sure.  I couldn't watch and I almost couldn't listen either.  BLEH!

Ice, Ice baby
Thursday:  Another snow day.  I  am not complaining.  Who doesn't want to stay in their PJs all day and work out whenever you want?????  We had another round of ice overnight and after a 2 hour delay, the schools decided to just be out all together.  I decided today would be about stretching, rolling, icing, and MYRTL again.  We did get my shoes screwed.  The race reports coming out from the trails were saying that there was still significant ice and of course mud with more rain, ice, and mess to come, so since I had the ice spikes that I ordered like 2 years ago and a willing hubby, we got an old pair of shoes done and ready to go just in case.


Friday:  Repeat of Thursday.  The side streets and rural areas that buses need to run on where still horrible.  We are suppose to have a warm up today, so we should be good to go next week for sure.    I was hoping we could at least make it town for Sylvan and a good old target trip.  I did get my 2 mile shake out run done.  Spent time either staring at the wall or the floor to practice for the 2 plus hours of staring at my feet tomorrow.


Saturday:  Trail race PSYCHO WYCO 10 miles.  Yep, I am a one looper.  The weather for this race has changed so many times that I quit looking.  The day of the race was cold, drizzly, MUDDY, and insane.  Check out my race report here!

Sunday: Rest day!!!!  I woke up super duper sore, as I knew I would be.  It's kind of stupid to expect anything else if you haven't done any trails, much less technical trails in a long long time, and then you go and do technical plus MUDDY trails.  I used muscles that probably haven't been used in a long, long time.  My feet were a mess from being wet and cold for so long, and I had five BIG blisters, two on my big toes, two on the balls of my feet, and one between my toes.  One had popped on its on but the other three hadn't and I really didn't want to have to pop them.  My plan for the day was active rest.  Grocery shopping, walking the dogs, playing outside with Andrew where all on tap! 

Have a great weekend and a great next week!  I will be pacing a half marathon, so I will be taking it super easy next week to avoid injury.  No speed work and probably low miles.  See y'all on the flip side!

No comments:

Post a Comment