Monday, October 29, 2018

The week before race week?

I don't even know what to title this post.  We are kind of in the in between again as i have a 5K November 3rd and another trail 25K November 10th with a final 5K the day of Thanksgiving.  I can't promise I might jump into some smaller stuff this fall/winter, but it looks like my training cycle is going to be a 20 week cycle and will start the week of Thanksgiving for my next trail marathon.

Monday:  Rest day.  GOTR day.  We did a loop course today instead of laps and most of the girls did wonderful!  Unfortunately that meant I did some running to block traffic at a couple of crossing spots and at the top of the few hills we did.  I actually felt pretty good considering how sore I was post race.  I think my new Tart Cherry Juice I am drinking is really, really helping!



Tuesday:  Easy recovery run.  I didn't have an exact mileage in mind, but I figured 4 or 5 would do with some walking breaks.  Since I was feeling good, I decided to go ahead and get my 5. I had Cross fit scheduled that night.  We worked on the clean from a mid and low hang and then we did a tabata of superman and hollow body poses for time.  My WOD was 15 minutes of 1 minute-Assault bike for 10 calories (WAAAAY harder than I thought it would be), 1 minute of picking up a 40 lb sand bag and throwing it over the bar and repeat again and again, and 1 minute of rest.  Doesn't sound like much, but that dang assault bike KILLED me.  The last two reps on the bike, I only got in about 8 calories in that 1 minute, and I was really struggling to get even that.  Then when I would get off, I would be huffing and puffing like i had just run sprints!  Afterwards I felt really, really good and strong!  I know I have just started this journey, but i am already seeing big changes in my body and in my running!

Wednesday:  Rest day.  We had our last soccer practice and his coach forgot that the sun now sets at 6:30 pm, whoops.  We got there early and luckily she had too, so the early kids got in a good hour of practice.  I am ready for this season to be done, but am proud of the progress made by andrew.  He still can't dribble fast, it's either dribble very slow and control it, or fast and kick it half way across the field.  His shooting is getting better as well as his defense, so maybe we will try one more fall season.


Thursday:  5 easy miles and Cross Fit + GOTR.  That is a lot in one day, but I got it done.  We got to run inside for GOTR, which the girls love, but the teachers still in the building don't and most if not all of the girls did well.  I have been battling some weird tummy issues and I almost texted Erin to cancel for cross fit, but I stuck it out and was fine.  We did some front squatting and some dead lifts and then some sand bag carries.  I ended up dead lifting 100 lbs on my last sets!!!!!  Although I felt strong, my dang wrists hated the front squats.  I need to look into taping them or some sort of support to help them get use to it. I ended with the sand bag carry for distance, and started out with the 45 lb bag and ended with the 65 lb.  I just LOVE working with Erin and I think I am going to be able to continue to work with her for at least one more month :)

Friday:  Rest day.  Yes, I know.  I need to get back to cross training, but I just haven't felt like riding my bike.  I will be glad when Robin moves back to Wamego so we can hit our bikes together.



Saturday:  short run....that never happened.  Hubby had to work all day so no run for me.  Instead of being mad about it, I just enjoyed the day.  Yes, I could have gotten on the mill, but it was a gorgeous fall day and I just wanted to be outside.


We started out the day with some soccer.  Last game, which wasn't the bes,t but wasn't horrible either. I really think all of the kids are on the brink of really understanding this game and it's kind of cool to watch.  The other team posted a goalie, which drives me nuts, but I am pretty sure they got around the rules by having the kid stand outside of the box instead of in the goal box.  Kudos to her for having 6 year olds play positions I guess.  


I think this season was an overall success.  No crying, no laying on the field, some pretty good hustle, and some goals attempted/scored.  Some defense was played, and while there is a ton of room for improvement, I am really happy at where we ended (and SO glad we didn't have to play a double header).  As for the future in soccer?  Will probably continue to play fall soccer until football becomes bigger in his life, but probably not spring.  I am just too busy in the spring and would miss a huge number of his games.  I missed quite a few this fall and I HATED IT!


After soccer we headed to Manhattan for Story Time with Drag Queens.  I feel very strongly about my son getting as much diversity in his life as possible and this was a great introduction into meeting Drag queens.  He loved it and loved the craft and thought Medusa was the best!  


And BONUS, when you are around drag queens, they can help you fix wardrobe malfunctions like the fact that our mustache wouldn't stay on.  

Post story time, we headed to get coffee and then to the park to play. The boys had a ton of energy that needed to be expounded and we needed some mom time.  I am so glad Andrew is of the age now where he can make friends at the park and just play without my assistance.  Lindsey and I had some relaxing conversation.  We headed out to have lunch and get back to Wamego for some laundry/house cleaning/massaging.


I begged Trina to find what the heck is bothering my foot.  I feel like we have been battling this long enough and I didn't care how long it took, I wanted her to find what stupid muscle/tendon/whatever was causing my foot to still hurt and make it submit.  She obliged and found a very knotty tendon in  my ankle area and gave it the riot act.  I had her take a pic of the cupping she did because it's kind of cool to have cups all over you, plus it feels SO good after she has used them.  I highly recommend cupping if you haven't had it yet.  I was pretty crunchy in my shoulders/trap area (thanks cross fit) so she had fun being the bringer of the pain.  I am so excited that she is going to be full time in Wamego starting in November!  I know what everyone is getting for Christmas this year!


Sunday:  Hopefully long run.  Hubby had to work again and i was just crossing my fingers that I would get a long run in.  Andrew had his first sleep over at the house with his little friend Oakely and they stayed up till around 11pm talking about poops and farts.  When I reminded them that doughnuts would not be happening in the morning unless they got some sleep, they quickly quieted down and were out in a few seconds.   I ended up sleeping on the couch outside the guest room, which probably wasn't the best idea post super duper massage, but I wanted to be close just in case the boys needed me during the night.  I think the dogs thought it would be fun to wake me up every so many hours just to make sure I was alive and then the dogs woke me fully up at 5:30.  I don't mind getting up that early to run, but that early for no reason, no thank you!  The boys were up an hour later ready for some cartoons and doughnuts of course.  The plan was that Lindsey would come and sit with the boys while I ran and while Tony was at work.  Luck would have it that Tony didn't have to work all day and Lindsey showed up right after he got off!  


I had no clue how far really to run so settled in on the number 10.  I have another race in two weeks that is a 25 K, so figured I could do a 10 this week and then maybe a 12 or 13 next weekend on the trails.   My legs were pretty sore from the massage and even though the weather was so perfect, my heart rate was super high and my pace was SUPER slow.  I figure it was probably 1)the mcdonalds we ate for dinner the night before and b)the poor sleep.  No mind, got it done, enjoyed the beautiful fall weather and scenery, and stella and I got some good mom and me time.  
.


Afterwards I just sat on the deck and enjoyed the beauty of the day with the dogs.  The leaves have turned and now are falling in earnest, so I wanted to enjoy it while I could and the boys were asleep anyway so I could be a lazy slug without guilt!  

Have a great week!  I have a dog themed 5K this weekend and then a nice long run coming up hopefully on the trails.   Plus since we are done with soccer, adventures abound on the weekend before winter sets in.  



No comments:

Post a Comment