Sunday, October 7, 2018

Welcome to the In Between


I am entering my first time not being coached since I started running 5Ks. I am kind of scared, but excited as well.  I know my body and I know what it needs.  Right now my focus is on trails, strength, and ultras, and not road racing or PRs.  I once thought trails were too hard on my weirdo body, but right now, I think that is what my body needs the most.  It will be hard to say good bye to the road races, but I can always volunteer.  Oh, and I signed up for another trail race because it's an addiction and I need rehab:)  This week is about resting and recovering and here are my pictures from Mile 90 from Flatrock!



Monday:  Rest day. I didn't even run with the girls at GOTR.  I let the other coaches run and I kept lap counts and timed.  The girls have really turned it around and are running more, walking less, and participating the way we want them to.  Let's just hope we can keep this up!!!!


Tuesday:  This is my normal run day.  I wrestled with the idea of taking a short run/walk session while Andrew was in tutoring or just having one more day of rest.  I feel pretty good other than the outside of my left leg down by my ankle (peroneal?).  I have super flexible ankles and my ankle gave out on the rocks and my ankle bone actually touched the ground.  I was really worried it would swell but it didn't but those tendons got a little stretched for sure.  In the end I decided another day or so off wouldn't hurt anything and just read my book while little man got his learn on.


Wednesday: Cross train/rest day number 3.  My ankle feels MUCH better but there is still some lingering soreness/tightness.  My hubby got my an R8 roller that I have been using carefully on this area as well as doing some deep blue rub and some arnica.  I am in no rush to get back to doing anything that might anger that area.

Fall and winter running?  YES please!

Thursday:  I woke up to nice cold temperatures that make my runner's heart SO happy.  I decided to try a nice and easy 4 miler and see how I felt.  If my ankle hurt, I would stop.  I think Stella was pretty happy to be out again too.  She was constantly jumping up and nipping at my sleeve.  Her foot doesn't seem to be an issue at all.  Those outside ligaments still feel tight but they don't hurt so I am going to take it easy for the rest of the week other than maybe a short long run and some Cross Fit.

Post coaching I headed to the gym in Manhattan to get my cross fit on!  This was my first session of true working out and I had no clue what to expect.  We basically did what a cross fit class would do,  a strength portion and then a EMOM.  We worked shoulders (strict and dip) and then we did a series with weights once Erin was happy with my form.  Then we switched to the EMOM where we did 40 second planks, 15 DB shoulder presses, and 15 ring rows for 12 minutes.  It seems so simple but I was struggling to get the 15 and 15 in during the one minute intervals.  If anything it taught me to pace and be careful.  I had no issues with vertigo but we didn't do anything that caused me to have it.


Friday:  I wasn't as sore as I thought I would be due to Cross fit which was a nice surprise.  I had taken a nice long hot tub bath Thursday night and did all the stretching that both Mel and Erin suggested. I was sore however from Stella falling in the bathtub and scratching the hell out of me.  Sigh.  We have one of those jet tubs that is recessed into a raised platform and the dogs were running around the top (Boom wanted in and Stella wanted to control him and keep him out).  

yes, that is a flying monkey. He was pretty creepy looking
Saturday:  Since i am off plan and still in recovery week, I had lots of options from no run to short run to long run.  My next race is two weeks away and again I use that term loosely because I am not RACING it but merely finishing it.  We woke up to rain.  Lots and lots of rain.

thank goodness he chose a hand tattoo and NOT a full face tattoo
Oztoberfest was all day and we ventured out as soon as the rain let up.  Oztoberfest is another one of the festivals our little town puts on that is all things Oz.  We use to have munchkins and cast members show up and it was two days but most of the cast and crew is dead or dying now and there is another craft type fair the same weekend in manhattan so we only have one day now.  There were surprisingly a lot of people out, but it was cold and drizzly.  We ended up hopping from coffee shop to donut shop to awnings and not really seeing much.  We did find an Usborne book dealer and dropped quite a bit there.  I SO love good books to read to Andrew.


We got this magic paint book and it is AMAZING!  I may be slightly addicted.  We work together painting, since they do take a while to finish and do have very intricate parts.  You just add a wet paint brush and the color just comes up.  You have to be careful though because the paint does bleed over.  We have had SO much fun painting together.  


We also attended a wedding that night.  It was Andrew's first big wedding with just me and he did pretty good considering.  I just didn't want him to ruin anything but talking during the quiet parts of making odd noises, since everything was so perfect.  We stayed through the toasts at the reception and then he was done and I didn't want a scene.  I was so happy to see one of my old students get married to the love of his life.  He was around doing research right before I had Andrew and then went off to medical school.  I was really close to him and had lost touch with him as he doesn't really do facebook, and am SO glad we got to see him one more time. He lives in Colorado, so I hope we can get together over coffee sometime, because i think her family is from Manhattan.  


Sunday:  I woke up to more rain. I really wanted to get a short long run in and when the rain let up briefly, I headed out.  It was really nice and cool but SUPER humid. Not cool Kansas, not cool.  I saw four bald eagles on my run which was SUPER thrilling, but I didn't get any pictures.  Two were pretty far off, but one was HUGE and right in front of me and it scared me so I couldn't get my hands to work to get my phone out.  Dang it!  Oh well, it was pretty cool and you will have to take my word for it!  Post run we had to do some errands in Manhattan, so we had quiche and coffee and had a target date.  It was a perfect lazy Sunday!

I have a dog themed 5K coming up and another trail race so it will be back to the normal grind next week!  Have a great week!





No comments:

Post a Comment