Saturday, August 15, 2015

Back to School Run 5 K-The run that almost didn't happen

As you will see from my recap of the week that goes out tomorrow, I have been battling a tummy bug all week.  I actually took the day off from work yesterday, as we were super slow, and just laid in bed all day watching Orange is the New Black.  I am trying not to binge watch this season, but got through several episodes yesterday.  I had decided today's run would be a game time decision.  If I woke up feeling bad, I would go volunteer instead of running.  When I woke up, I was actually hungry and no nausea at all.  I took that as a good sign.
I had set out a flat me just in case the night before.  My plan was to have fun and take it easy and run with miss stella ella.  
This is a very family friendly race.  There are tons of events for kids to do pre and post race including this year: pic opts, bean bag throws, mask making and capes.  The theme was super heroes and I LOVED all of the super hero stuff.  Next year I am going to have to work on a costume for sure!
Also, since it was so small, I got to have miss stella ella run with me!  AND bonus, the start and finish were just a few blocks from my house.  I got to walk to and from the race and use my own facilities:) 

The course was down hill for a lot of the first mile.  Stella took that as let's run balls to the wall mom.  Well, let's just say that her pulling and me trying to reign her in got is a first mile of 8:31.  That is what I would like to do for three miles when I am feeling good LOL!  I finally got her to settle in and passed enough people to get in a nice pocket by ourselves.  The second mile was also very flat and we did a 9:30 which was more the pace I was wanting to go for the whole race.   The third mile had some up hill but nothing bad.  9:42 for that mile which was good enough for me.  Stella kept locking in on runners and then trying to reel them in.  She has such a great race strategy:).  I could tell I wasn't 100%, so I kept holding her back.  I think she could have pulled me at 8:30 the whole way if I would have let her.  

We had so much fun after the race making masks and taking pictures.  We cheered the kids races on and Andrew proclaimed he wanted to run next year for sure.  They divide the kids up by age and grade and they have a pre K category, so I think we will let him run next year.  I ended up 5th in my age group, but they did every 10 years so some whippersnappers beat me.  Plus a few of the speedy ladies in my category volunteered or ran with their families, but hey, I will take it.  I am excited to actually feel 100% and run a 5 K!  I don't love the distance, but it is nice to see where you are at every once in a while speedwise.  I highly recommend this race to all families.  Tons of kids ran the 5 K with their parents and all kids under 15 got a medal whether they placed or not.  I thought that was pretty cool, because some of those kids were pretty young and still kicking butt.  The PTO did a great job of making the day fun,  even having popsicles after all of the kid's races that even andrew got to partake in.  They had a fun raffle for the kids and the adults that ran the 5 K.  I can't wait to next year and am hoping for better health so I can really push it!  Great course and great job Central PTO!






No comments:

Post a Comment