Saturday, June 20, 2015

Guest Blog post:Tookie Day-How to run and be in shape in your 60s

Good Saturday to you!  Today I am letting my mom take over my blog.  My mom is an inspiration to me and others, so I had to have her take over and answer some questions I had about running/working out and just staying in shape for the older athlete.  Mom is in her mid 60s and still going strong with her working out/running/walking.
What made you want to start run? and what did you do to start running? 

When I joined the LIFT, I was trying the different classes they offered.  They offered the couch to 5K  program, and I knew Michelle had used this program, so I decided I would try.  While doing the program, I drove a mile from the house (to get an idea of distance) and would walk/run this until I knew I could do 2 miles.   Then, I added a little over a half mile for a total of 2.5 miles.  To be able to run/walk this from the house and back made me confident I could walk/run a 5 K.  We did a 5K after we finished the program with my goals being to finish and not be last.  I accomplished my goal:)


What are some challenges you face running in your 60s?
The biggest challenge is not having anyone to train with.  I have a friend that I met on the track at the gym and we walk together 3 days a week anywhere from 3 to 5 miles.  This keeps me in shape, but I don’t have anyone to run with.


How hard has it been to run being a ex-smoker? 
I am sure it has a lot to do with my breathing, you can't smoke for 46 years and give them up and expect to breath like a 16 year old.    (Note: She quit cold turkey.  That is super will power in my book).   Unfortunately, breathing  issues are also my age.  I have been working on a breathing exercise I saw on one of the running post on FB.  You take a deep breath on 5 steps and exhale on 5 steps.  That seems to help.  (Note by me:  The cold also seems to hurt mom's lungs a lot worse than others.  I am not sure if that is smoking related or that is because in TN, it doesn't get as cold as it gets here in KS).


What other exercises do you do to compliment your running?
I do aqua sculpt 3 times a week , it is a great work out with weights, noodles, and constant movement.  I also do Barre class 2 times a week and love this class. On the days I have Barre, I go early and walk on the track for a little over a mile, then do my class, then my friend and I walk downtown.



Tell me about your most favorite race that you have done?
My most favorite has to be Running with the Cows that I just did while Michelle did the half marathon.  All the races I had previously done had been with small groups, so imagine how I felt lining up with 625 people.  The race was so cute with black and white cows everywhere, and it was so well organized.  I enjoyed the fact that I just melted into the crowd and felt no pressure from anyone.  I ran when I could and walked when I wanted to walk.  I really believe I ran more in this one that I had in others.  I finished 5th in my age group and 458 out of 625.

I also have to mention the Bad to the Bone 5 K I did with Michelle .She was injured so wasn’t back to her normal running.  BOY did she push me!!!  I did set a record on my time and was 1st in my age and won the kids a 10-12 lb turkey.



Favorite running gear?
I love having music, and my belt (it's a flip belt) that holds my phone. Thanks to The Running Company in Manhattan for getting me in the right shoe that makes all the difference in the world.  This isn’t really running gear, but I love my Fitbit and the friends (she is slightly addicted and panics when it doesn't work:)
that I have that motivate me every day to do better.


Any advice you would like to leave the readers with?
Never give up or give in.  Try new things, get in classes that will push you, always be willing to try something new.  Try to find a friend that will walk or run with you.  Do a couch to 5K program and run at least one 5K to prove to yourself that you can do it.  One thing I have always done is be around young people.  Surround yourself with young people they will motivate and inspire you.

Great advice mom!  As always, check with your doctor before starting a work out program to make sure it is right for you.  I am so glad (and jealous) that mom has a barre class to attend, as well as aqua sculpt and water aerobics (and at one time zumba), as those types of work outs are easier on joints.  They can also be adjusted in intensity for the best work out for you and your body.  Mom works hard with the trainers at the LIFT to make sure the exercises she is doing are done with proper form, which makes me so happy.  In our community as well, the trainers are very good about adapting exercises in group  classes to your skill level and age and the intensity you desire. I have always felt that their group classes are very inclusive to any age (check out Flint Hill's Fitness for some AWESOME classes).  Mom, as always you are my best friend, my inspiration and I can't wait to see you run more 5 ks and maybe some day a half:)

No comments:

Post a Comment