Wednesday, June 10, 2015

SUMMER is HERE!

Summer is officially here.  We are getting super hot days and super intense thunderstorms.  

This was taken out on the prairie at my boss's house.  You could see the storms coming in from the north and you could feel the atmosphere change and temperature drop.  

We have been taking advantage of the cooler temps that usually happen after 8ish.  The park is a block away so we are there pretty much every night.   I think that is why I decided to go ahead and run early Monday night.  The heat was there, but the humidity was not, so I figured I would be safe.  I left stella at home and headed out with some NUUN in my little water bottle I tuck in my waist band.  I didn't sweat the whole run, and while the sun beat down, I felt good.  Unfortunately after the run, I was not so good.  As soon as I stopped, i started profusely sweating and felt very nauseated.  It took me at least an hour to fully recover, and I was a little worried about how I felt.  When I opened my blogs for reading today this one from one of my favorite bloggers NYCrunningmama came up.  You can read the full blog here.  It is very, very good and should be taken to heart.  We as runners have to be careful in the heat and humidity.  We have to take into account a slowing of paces.  We have to pay attention to our bodies and protect ourselves.  Today it is feeling like 99 out there and the dewpoint is currently at 64.  While I know the temp will go down later tonight when I run, the dewpoint will still probably be high because the humidity will go back up.  Same for early morning runs here in KS, the humidity is so high in the morning pre dawn that the dew point is usually in the dangerous zone.  I am going to put on my earbuds and listen to my podcasts (which slow my pace down and that is a good thing), leave stella at home, and probably do some walk/run mileage.  Heat is not to be played with and I only need one reminder this year to respect it!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment