Monday, September 22, 2014

Long run hangover gone bad

Last night was interesting.  Well, all of yesterday was interesting.  My last blog post left off at me going back to bed.  Things went from bad to worse as the day progressed.  Okay to back up and refresh your memory, I felt bad after I finished the race.  This is nothing new to me really, I usually feel sick to my stomach after a hard race.  After hospital hill, I was very sickly feeling for hours, but after rest and finally food, it went away.  This just wasn't going away.  I figured by the time I got home from doing a little girl time with my BRF that I would feel better.  I had had some fro yo and lots of water and finally a roast beef sandwich from panera and some chips.  The splitting head ache just wasn't letting up.  It felt different than my normal migraines and throwing up wasn't helping.  I was also super hot, like I was running a fever and my cheeks were very flush but I had a normal temperature.   After fighting it for hours and throwing up any time I tried to eat or drink, I decided it was serious enough to go to the hospital.  I figured I just needed fluids, even though I had probably drank at least 2 liters of water post race.  Dr. Google was scaring me with the what ifs and I was tired of feeling like my head was going to explode, no matter what I took medicine wise.  I had tried advil, tylenol and allegy meds, that were also for sinus pressure.  I have a very high pain tolerance, but this was wearing me down.  I had tried to nap with my little red, and he wasn't feeling it and quite honestly, any time i laid down the pounding in my head just got worse.  It got super bad when my very loving hubby was cooking a big celebration dinner.  That is when I really starting the up chucking in earnest.  I also started feeling very faint and dizzy.  Nothing was helping, not even my favorite peppermint EO.  So, I did what everyone does, I called my mom and asked if I should go to the ER and she agreed that it was a good call.  It was a sunday night so i figured it would be quick.  We have a small hospital in our town so drive time was minimal.

I have to admit, I was kind of shocked at how rude the staff was.  The ER was empty and I was made to feel like I was inconveniencing them greatly.  They kept telling me that I had stomach flu, which I knew I didn't have.  Other than the nurse that checked us in and gave andrew some colors and coloring book, they were very condescending.  The doctor was in the apartment, whatever that meant, so they had to go get him up for my "headache".  I kept telling them that i had run a 25 K earlier and they kept referring to it as a marathon.  That drives me nuts!!!  I did not run a marathon, I ran 15.5 miles which is way less.  Anyway, it wasn't until I started using some big words that they started treating me with respect.  It shouldn't be that way people!  Everyone should be respected in the ER.  I didn't come in just for a head ache.  I can deal with migraines at home. This was different and I wanted at least to know what it wasn't.  Blood work all came back normal except my white blood cell count.  They gave me a pain shot and some anti-nausea meds and sent me home.  At least they were nice to me the last hour or so I was there.  The doctor was very interested in what I do for a living and asked me lots of questions. I enjoyed our conversation once he started treating me differently.  I am not a drug seeker and I am not a wuss so if I go to the ER, I am serious that something is wrong.  Can't wait for the wonderful bill that will be coming soon, I am sure.

All in all, I am really glad I went.  I needed to know that I had not caused an imbalance or was dehydrated.  While I still feel out of it today from lack of sleep and still a little icky with my tummy, I am not throwing up and was able to get some work done at work and eat a small breakfast and lunch.  I get more rest at work anyway because there is no house work and no dogs begging for my attention.  I am going to take it easy this week, some biking after a day or so of rest and some walking and maybe some running this weekend.  I have to figure out what caused this and have reached out to my fellow runners to see if anyone has had this happen.  I fueled three times during my run (which i have done before) and drank close to 20 oz of water on course (drinking after and between my chomps).  I had water and carbs right after my run was over and finally protein when I could stomach it.  I don't really know what i could have done differently.  I am researching long run hangovers because that is kind of what it felt like, the worst hang over ever.  I did my normal pre race fueling but maybe I need to step it up a little more for a longer distances?  I also did a modified carb load of pasta friday and saturday nights.  That is about the extent of carb loading i can handle right now.  I really don't want a repeat of this scenario ever again, especially as I transition to marathon training.  This race did give me the confidence boost I need to know I can do a full and that mentally I can push through.  Overall stats from yesterday:

137 out of 186 overall
63/98 female
9/17 in my age group.

Still no runners high yet but I am mentally ready to run again even if my body is not:)  Will post official pics when they get them up.  Can't wait to see them!

No comments:

Post a Comment