Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Caution: Injured runner. May Bite!

I was hoping i wouldn't have to write this, but I guess I can join the ranks of all the running blogs i read now and officially say I am injured.  I had this small hope that resting it for almost two weeks (minus one 15.5 mile run:) was going to be enough.  I had decided that I would rest all of last week and try it this week with some nice slow mileage.  Maybe do a long run of 6 or 8, but no speed work and no hills.  I laced up last night with my new, hopefully broken in shoes and headed out.  I got about 3 tenths of a mile away before I had horrible pain.  I stupidly went home and took off my compression socks, thinking it was just that and headed back out.  It wasn't.  So here is the sign I have been looking for. I am officially down for the count.
I tried taping my leg last night, but I guess I suck because the tape would never stay, not even after i scrubbed my leg with soap and water prior to laying down the tape.  It did look pretty for a second or two.
I also dug out El Blanco.  He hasn't been getting much love lately, but now that i have a live in baby sitter, I can go for bike rides!  I can even go for bike rides with my hubby!  I am also going to look into a trainer.  It has been suggested to me via fellow runners that this would be the best option versus road riding.  I was a little concerned anyway last night, because it was dark by 7:30 and that time will continue to creep up. I really don't love riding a bike in the dark. I am a pretty big wuss period when it comes to bikes and tend to overall take it pretty slow.  On a trainer, I could work on speed and resistance without worrying about falling off or being hit by a car.  That is a double bonus (and more money, bleh).  I will do whatever it takes to get this rehabbed and back on the road in a timely but correct fashion.  I have an appointment with my GP on friday and made an appointment with a Ortho Dr. just in case.  I figured it would take a while to get in, so I am down for the Ortho in a few weeks.  I am hoping that i am over reacting and that this is just shin splints and not a stress fracture, but last night really scared me and made me feel like I needed a professional opinion along with possibly x-rays or whatever needed to rule out a stress fracture.  I will keep you posted! 

I am really trying not to freak out.  I am trying NOT to think about all the fitness I am loosing and have lost.  I am trying to come up with alternatives just in case.  I am trying NOT to drive my husband insane with my whining and moaning.  It's hard to stay positive.  I just want to get back on the road and not look at other runners with hatred because they are doing the very thing I want to be doing.   
This sums it up. 
This too.

PS.  In the time it took to write this blog, my Ortho Dr. just called back and they had a cancellation.  YIPEEE!  At least I may have some sort of answer by tomorrow evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment